SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9 MM 1911 magazines questions...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 MM 1911 magazines questions... Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
What do we like for 9 MM 1911 magazines?

I have some experience with OEM Springfield Armory 9 MM 1911 magazines, (9 round, metal follower, non removable bottom) and they worked perfectly. They have a "U" shaped ditch pressed into the front of the tube.

I bought some Wilson Combat 9 MM 1911 magazines some time ago and didn't like them at all. (10 rounds, plastic follower, plastic removable base pad)
All four of them consistently experienced failure to feed the top round when loaded to capacity.

I see MecGar, Metalform, Chip McCormick, and Wilson Combat all sell them today.

Decisions... Decisions...

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Been using the Chip Mc Cormick mags in a new Colt 1911 9mm , for a few months now. NO issues. Have a lone Metalform and it's the same.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My Ed Brown came with Checkmate magazines. It turns out that Kimber mags are also Checkmate, as best I can tell. They work well.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metalform or Wilson.

Posts: 17 | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Wilson ETM mags in my 9mm 1911s with zero problems.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have always had excellent luck with Metalform.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have some experience with OEM Springfield Armory 9 MM 1911 magazines, (9 round, metal follower, non removable bottom) and they worked perfectly. They have a "U" shaped ditch pressed into the front of the tube.

Metalform makes that magazine to Springfield specs. It is available from Brownells, so that is your low risk choice.
http://www.brownells.com/magaz...facturer_1=metalform

The McCormick XP magazine is similar but holds 10 rounds. I like them and an area gunsmith recommends them for guns he builds or modifies. All others I know of have rear spacers.
Tripp Cobramags feed well in my guns.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are we talking 'range' mags or real mags.
I've almost always used the mecgar or metalform ones for range use as they have been available very inexpensively. For serious stuff I use the Wilson's.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I have been using the Wilson ETM mags in my 9mm 1911s with zero problems.

Same. Current production 9mm ETMs use a metal follower, too.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

What works best in your particular 1911. I had a Series 70 9mm (original), that I went through all the major brands of mags with. I finally settled on the Wilson Combat ETM's. Other brands either did not drop free, or did not drop with a partially filled mag (the top bullet had moved forward enough to prevent free drop). Try them out and find what works with your gun. 1911's are all different, it seems, with respect to mags. There is no "universal" this mag works best.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Good advice.

I have been using Metalform, Wilson and Tripp Cobra mags with mine. I have the stock mags for my Dan Wesson as well, but haven't used them yet.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapaWino
posted Hide Post
Use .38 Super magazines. They can be used in 9MM and .38 Super and seem to work better than 9MM mags.

"Life is too short to drink bad wine".

Posts: 200 | Location: Napa, CA | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I just bought factory mags from CZ/DW for my ECO9. They just came in today, but so far the original factory mags I got with gun have been perfect performers.

I've been very happy with Wilson ETMs in my DW PM-9.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
My 9MM Gold Cup and Lightweight Commander have been running great on the Colt and Pachmayer magazines for the last 25+ years

Colts magazines are readily available (I think I still have 4-6 NEW on the blister cards), the Pachmayers are no longer produced. My third choice would be the MetalForm magazines

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
ck, My Dan Wesson, Kimber and STI 9MMs were not magazine sensitive. They just worked, no matter which magazine was in which gun. That being said, I prefer the Metalform "Springfield front ramp" type I've been using for years. Coincident with your mention of an issue with your Wilson magazines, the 9MM 1911 magazine I've seen most mentioned as having reliability issues is the Wilson 10-rd. My 9MM magazines, by whichever manufacturer, have all been 9-rounders. But they work.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Metalform first and Mec-gar a somewhat distant second. Both are reliable in my 2 9mm Colts. I prefer the Metalform because they have a removable baseplate version. I only use 9 round magazines, I have never tried the 10 rounders.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with Tripp Cobra mags in 9mm, 10-round version?

To all Veterans: your sacrifices are not forgotten. Your sacrifices are honored. Welcome home. For those not home yet, please know that many of us pray for your safe return soon.

Posts: 587 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've been using Wilson ETMs in my STI Shadow in 9mm for a couple of years now with no issues. They're available in steel and aluminum base pads.

Wilson 9mm 1911 mags

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isolator:
Anyone have experience with Tripp Cobra mags in 9mm, 10-round version?

Yes.
About half my first line 9mms are Tripp.
The other half are CMC XP
I have one Wilson ETM2, three Wilson ETM1, and one Wilson ETM0.

A bunch of Metalforms but they have been rebuilt and modified; spacers removed, .38 followers and springs. I use them but would not buy more.
The nine shot Metalform/Springfield 9 round are great... if you don't want the extra shot that pays me dividends in IDPA ESP and USPSA SS.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
My 9MM Gold Cup and Lightweight Commander have been running great on the Colt and Pachmayer magazines for the last 25+ years

Colts magazines are readily available (I think I still have 4-6 NEW on the blister cards), the Pachmayers are no longer produced. My third choice would be the MetalForm magazines

My pieces-n-parts 9mm Government Model has also worked perfectly for over 30 years using Colt magazines. Who could ask for anything more?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post