SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 Navy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 Navy Login/Join 
posted
Was the 226 Navy ever offered in 40 S&W?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

No

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

No
At least somethings are sacred! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If it were offered in .40, then it wouldn't be the Navy. A "Mk25-A1" maybe, but it won't be the real thing. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reason I asked is that there is a guy at work with a Sig 226 in 40 S&W with the anchor on the slide. He thinks it's a real Navy SEAL gun. I told him I didn't think so because the SEALS carried 9mm, not 40 S&W. I suspect that someone was creative with their engraving tool, that the gun is not real.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reason I asked is that there is a guy at work with a Sig 226 in 40 S&W with the anchor on the slide. He thinks it's a real Navy SEAL gun. I told him I didn't think so because the SEALS carried 9mm, not 40 S&W. I suspect that someone was creative with their engraving tool, that the gun is not real.

Tell him to call SIG with serial number and have confirmation one way or the other.

Q

posted Hide Post
Good idea.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not that any confirmation is needed, but 12131 is dead-on %100 correct...both the commercially available catalogued P226 "Navy", as well as the NSW issued P226 were chambered in 9mm only. The one and only batch of NSW "Navy" models released for commercial sale were 9mm.

Having stated that, depending on how widely P226 "Navy" is defined, there are some commemorative special order SIGs available that various unit members have in their personal possession. I can't recall for certain and the external hard drive I keep some of my notes on is currently T/U, but I seem to recall a few non-standard "Navy" models in calibers other than 9mm. For instance I know for certain of some SIG 1911 NSW commemorative examples in .45 acp. and, while I recall other SIG non-standard NSW platforms, I can't remember if any were chambered in anything other than 9mm.

In addition to 12131's excellent idea to contact SIG with the S/N, if the co-worker has the original box the label should provide info as well.

I'd guess you are correct and it's a bogus anchor engraved on the slide but I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your co-workers gun.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can get some.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Likely a commemorative unit purchase.

NSW did / does some VERY LARGE purchases for the Groups, the list I saw had SIG516, 716, multiple P220, P226, P239, and P229 variants available. This was 6-7 years ago and while I didn't jump on it (we work with them), several of my coworkers did, getting SIG 716s with Tridents on them (which as non-SEAL, they promptly put black electrical tape over - but for the price at the time it was too good to pass up.

I'm sure they do them regularly and it's only a matter of time before those are resold, gifted, resold, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post