SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    BPLE in 365 / 365xl?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPLE in 365 / 365xl? Login/Join 
posted
Before the flame throwers come out, no, I never have. Normally defensive load for my 365 and 365xl is HST 124.
BPLE's I normally reserve for pistols with barrels over 4", and PCC's. I know, even then, BPLE probably is inferior to more modern designs. But I shoot them occasionally in Glocks (including G48), P7's, and others. Nice accurate round, and the bang allows me pretend I stumbled into 357 Sigs at a great price...
I ask because doing a recent inventory, I noticed I have a lot of HST's, but a whole lot of BPLE's.
So -- anyone used BPLE's in 365's or xl's? Not sure that I want to or will, but curious.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run the 147 gr. BPLEs in my 365s with no problems - seems to be a very accurate load and shoots to my POA.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've run a few hundred 9BPLE through both of my P365's and P365XL's. Zero issues.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieSW:
...147 gr. BPLE...
Say what? "BPLE" means "Border Patrol Law Enforcement". This refers to a specific cartridge loading from Federal; specifically, a 115 grain hollowpoint loaded to beyond maximum SAAMI pressure specs for the 9x19mm (commonly designated "+P+"). In years past, this was also known as the ISP load, named for the Illinois State Police who used it in their S&W Model 39s. Unless the world has simply passed me by, I am unaware of any other Federal 9x19 cartridge loading which bears this appellation.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
+P and +P+ handgun rounds were created because of historically inconsistent performance (expansion/penetration) with standard ammunition loaded to SAAMI pressures. For decades; companies such as Federal, Winchester, Remington, and CCI-Speer, have developed and offered for sale types of ammunition that utilize very well reliable bullet designs which work with standard pressure loads and velocities. I know that +P loads are still offered, but what's the purpose of issuing or carrying such ammunition, if the terminal ballistic results are the same as standard pressure rounds and the downside (increased/accelerated wear on the firearm used) is eliminated?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
...if the terminal ballistic results are the same as standard pressure rounds...
Are they? Then, tell me- what is the purpose of, say, the 357 SIG cartridge?
quote:
...and the downside (increased/accelerated wear on the firearm used)...
Is there such an increase? Take, for example, the 9mm versions of the mid-size frame Glocks. How do you measure "accelerated" wear on pistols which have a life of 40,000 rounds or more? You can fire thousands upon thousands of rounds of +P+ ammunition out of a G17 and you're not going to accelerate anything except the velocity of the bullets leaving the barrel.

Most shooters will never fire enough rounds out of a particular pistol to come anywhere close to the end of service life. That being the case, the point is moot. Furthermore, anyone firing 40k rounds out of one particular pistol certainly either owns much more than just one pistol, or has a police agency issuing him his pistol (which is easily replaced at no cost to the shooter) in which he shoots up pallets of ammunition. Again, the point is moot.

posted Hide Post
Glock states that "it could shorten the life of the parts of your firearm". Which I agree with. Of course you could say shooting any round could shorten the life of the parts of your firearm. So I guess not shooting your firearm is the best method not causing wear to your firearm Smile

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a worn-out Glock.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've never seen a worn-out Glock.
I have a friend that has an estimated 15,000 rounds through his and he cleans it with Hoppes and the only thing he has ever lubed it with is Mobil 1, yes automotive oil.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The +P+ ammunition will lose a lot of it's intended benefit out of a short barrel; it will still push faster than lower pressure ammunition, but the velocity benefits of the higher pressure loading suffer more in a short barrel, perhaps to a point of diminishing returns.

If I want to push a 9mm bullet that fast, I'll go with a .357 sig pistol and cartridge.

You can certainly shoot +P+ ammunition in many modern pistols, though most aren't "rated" for it because +P+ is by definition, in excess of industry pressure ranges, and doesn't have a specific range or limit above SAAMI specifications.

I don't shoot +P+ ammunition in my pistols, though I could. I used to. So far as shooting it out of a short barrel like a P365, I'd focus on a cartridge optimized for it, like the Gold Dot short barrel. In that case, the powder choice is selected for minimal flash and for a burn in a short barrel, and it does very well.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last I read, about 3-4 years ago, Chuck Taylor had in excess of 200k through his G-17. Not sure I can even afford that much ammo!

But I use the Federal 9BPLE ammo in my short barrel carry guns( primarily a 365) with no adverse effects to me or the gun- other than a bit more recoil. Hopefully the increased velocity over standard pressure loads would have an adverse effect on the recipient.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Federal's 9mm loads they rate as +P+ are pussycats compared to other manufacturer's +P+ offerings. I've shot plenty of 9BPLE, as well as Federal's 124 grain +P+ Hydra-Shok, which I consider to be a "just right" cartridge. The +P+ Hydra-Shok is in my experience not overly hot. For quite a few years, I used this cartridge in my G17 house gun. The stuff is a pleasure to shoot. While the original Hydra-Shok bullet design has been eclipsed by Federal's HST design, I'd feel well-armed with the old Hydra-Shok loaded in my pistol. I have a small supply of it on-hand still.

Winchester's RA9115HP+ (that's the old designation. I think they call it something else now) is nice and warm,. A 115 grain hollowpoint rated at 1320 fps (as opposed to Federal's 1260 fps rating for their 9BPLE).

CorBon's 115 grain +P load (which I cannot think of as anything but +P+, with a 115 grain hollowpoint rated at 1350 fps, 466 foot-pounds) is a real thumper. Of all the cartridges I've mentioned, this +P-rated load is the hottest of the bunch. Shooting the 9BPLE with the CorBon +P side by side, the difference in blast and recoil is glaringly apparent.

So, even though Federal is putting +P+ on the cartridge case head of the 9BPLE, I consider it merely a +P load. Shoot as much as you like out of your P365. It won't hurt a thing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I have shot an awful lot of BPLE over the years.
So far so, so good.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The reason te 9BPLE - and the standard velocity 9BP- have fallen out of favor in the past few years is that the philosophy has changed. The 115 grain hollowpoint used to be the gold standard for 9x19mm defensive cartridges, but in the past 15 or 20 years, the 124 grain (or heavier) projectiles are favored. One reason the 115 grain hollowpoints were considered to be the best is- all other things being equal- the 115 grain can be driven faster than the 124 grain stuff, and in the old days, bullet design was not what it is today, and that extra velocity was need to get (or at least have a better chance at) proper bullet expansion.
The problem with the 115s, of course, is inadequate penetration of the human body, especially in cross-torso shots. Now that hollowpoint design has improved, the heavier 9mm projectiles give both proper expansion and adequate penetration.

It used to be that 147 grain 9mm hollowpoints were considered a bad joke, but now- as in Federal's 147 grain HST- these heavy hollowpoints give outstanding performance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
In my experience, Federal's 9mm loads they rate as +P+ are pussycats compared to other manufacturer's +P+ offerings.

9mm standard pressure maximum is 35000 ppsi; +P maximum is 38500 ppsi. +P+ non SAAMI rule of thumb is either another 10%, 42000 ppsi or whatever the ammo company thinks your gun will stand on an agency order for one particular firearm.
But by spec, 38501 ppsi would be +P+ because it exceeds the +P maximum.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot 124+P HST or Gold Dot in all my 9mm pistols regardless of size.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
9mm standard pressure maximum is 35000 ppsi; +P maximum is 38500 ppsi. +P+ non SAAMI rule of thumb is either another 10%, 42000 ppsi or whatever the ammo company thinks your gun will stand on an agency order for one particular firearm.
But by spec, 38501 ppsi would be +P+ because it exceeds the +P maximum.
The Federal loads I mentioned are most assuredly on the low end of the high end. As a matter of fact, I think Federal is playing it safe. I'm not sure these two loads consistently exceed 38,500.

And, for the life of me, I don't see how CorBon gets away with calling their 115 grain load a "+P". Those things are super-hot, or at least they used to be. I haven't shot any of it in a very long time.

posted Hide Post
Confusingly enough, there is a third 115 gr Federal JHP, the XM9001. Often said to be a Canadian spec for RCMP at a level between 9BP and 9BPLE.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I used to see a lot of it for sale.

posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the comments and input.
Wow, talking about all of these old "standards" makes me realize I am really getting old.
Glad to hear someone has actually used them in their 365's with no issue.
As stated, I haven't and probaly won't, but feel better should I give in to temptation.
In regard to the comment +P+ make no sense, or make no sense in this barrel length, well, maybe, but they sure do make a fun bang. And are pretty darn accurate. (And the XM9001's that were mentioned even more so -- used to be my standard defense round for P7's before gettting a stock of BPLE's.)
Para, Thank you for the comments comparing it to other cartridges. I also have never found BPLE's much in terms of recoil vs plain old 115's. I had thought Corbon 115+P were designed to mimic BPLE's? Do I have my sequence of development backwards? I don't recall Corbon 115+P or Winchester 127 +P+ to be markedly more in regard to recoil, but I'll bet I'm wrong and I am very intrigued by your observations now. I haven't shot either of those for years, and never back to back with BPLE's. I am going to dig up a few of each from the basement and compare.
Thanks, all.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post