SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    BPLE in 365 / 365xl?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BPLE in 365 / 365xl? Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'd feel well-armed with the old Hydra-Shok loaded in my pistol. I have a small supply of it on-hand still.

Same. It will stil get the job done.

But, I'm also biased...my uncle owned the company (that's him in the advert) and I worked with him one summer loading it back when they came in the red folding wallets or boxes and sold mail order out of his home in upstate NY.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear PGT, What model is the time machine that took us to 1978? I feel like I’ve been to the museum and lost 40 pounds and had hair on my head again.

Thanks for the ad and exhibits!

Posts: 65 | Registered: September 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
Corbon has always been scary shit. In 38S&W it blew the primer back in the firing pin pocket of my well used J-frame 3"heavy barrel and locked up the gun. Good reason for a trip back to S&W.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Having used my share of 9MM +P+ in a variety of semi-autos and revolvers, I've enjoyed reading the comments generated by the OP's question. I've used the Winchester 115 and 127 +P+,Federal 115 +P+ and Remington 115 +P+. I don't have a P365, but have not been able to detect any damage or accelerated wear with any firearms in which this ammunition has been used.

Reference the CorBon 115 JHP, it was a favorite of mine for years and did routinely generate velocities equal to or greater than any 115 grain +P+ I've ever tested.

About 4 years ago I tested some old CorBon 115 grain rated as "only" +P.
In a 3" revolver it averaged 1419 FPS, in a 3.5" semi-auto it averaged 1344 FPS, in a 5" semi-auto 1440 FPS, and in a 16" semi-auto carbine 1665 FPS. Only in the 16" barrel did the +P+ equal the Corbon +P velocity. This ammo was produced long before the change in ownership at CorBon, so I don't know if the current CorBon is still loaded to the same ballistics...

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP here.

Thanks everyone for all of these great comments -- and memories from down the lane. This has been fun.

Loved Para's reminder that the old 147 HP's were thought to be a joke. I recall an old comment that no one in their right mind would use them for more than target practice...

And PGT -- awesome photos. Yep, remember them well.

Rock 185 --- thank you for those numbers. Let me make sure I understand. You clocked 115 Corbon +P at:
- 3" revolver 1419. May I ask? Which 3" revolver?
- 3.5" semi auto 1344. Was that a Kahr perhaps? Other?
- And 16" carbine Wopping 1665. Which one?
- And now let me see if I understood. You meant that out of a 16" carbine you also got around 1665 from a BPLE? That would be great and fascinating info, suggesting you needed more barrel length to maximize the BPLE than the Corbon but it catches up?
I had read somewhere a comment that a writer got around 1600 from BPLE out of a 16" carbine, but no more details. In fact, until your post, using the website BBTI, I have wondered whether there was any worthwhile gain for a 9mm beyond an 8-12" barrel.
I have had a 16" Beretta CX-4 in the corner loaded with BPLE's for at least a decade. I have always figured it would be tolerably quieter inside than an AR. I have to think a 115 g round moving at 1600 FPS -- if I am understanding your post -- would be constructive.

Thanks all.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I’ve fired many BPLE rounds through many pistols. In a 226, I never really noticed recoil. In a Kahr PM9, the BPLE functioned great and was accurate, but it was a handful. I fired quite a bit of BPLE through it and it was totally reliable. Ultimately, I switched to the standard pressure BP round. I could shoot it much faster and I’m not sure the velocity was much different in such a short barrel. I still have a stock of BPLE and consider it first rate duty ammo.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
CorBon's 115 grain +P load

I have shot a lot (@ 700 rounds) of BPLE in all of my glocks as well as my Sigs with no problems, very accurate and the only time I had any trouble was with my new wilson combat 92 centurion and on the first round of BPLE it caused a malfunction and I spooked me off of the BPLE in my WC. It is a very effective round with very good street creds..my daily duty round is the 357 sig

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
BPLE velocity figure reported here at the end of the first post.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9950092374

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
BPLE velocity figure reported here at the end of the first post.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9950092374

Awesome, Sigfreund.
Thank you.
Yes, as others have said, probably 3.1" is not enough barrel.
Was that a Sig 225 with 3.9" barrel, or an a-1 with 3.5"? I am a little surprised 3.9" wouldn't get closer to the "magic" 1300 fps.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Was that a Sig 225 with 3.9" barrel, or an a-1 with 3.5"?

It was an original P225 with 3.9" barrel.

I never knew the A1 had a shorter barrel, or I would have made it clear, so thanks. The references I found, though, claim a 3.6" barrel for the A1. Not much difference, of course, but something I'll note for the future.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An informative video about Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dots, regular and short barrel, in gelatin from 3" barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjRcV0eTohs&t=278s

In short they both performed about the same in expansion and penetration, but the Short Barrel version developed somewhat higher velocities. The commentator states that the standard pressure 124 gn. GD didn't perform nearly as well due to “overpenetration”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9UxDu4smlI

FWIW, I do not agree with all of the Ammo Quest guy’s protocols and conclusions, but he does a little better job of testing ammunition than many other YouTubers.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
ScotP7, Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. The 3" revolver was a Ruger SP101. The 3.5" semi-auto was a S&W 3913. The 16" carbine was a Marlin Camp 9. Rechecking my chronograph notes, I see the Federal 9BPLE only averaged 1587 FPS. There were no issues with the 9BPLE, but my notes indicate that in testing 5 rounds of the CorBon in the Marlin, 4 primers were cratered and one primer pierced. I wouldn't care to use anymore of that particular lot, especially in a straight blow back type firearm.

BTW, While looking through my notes, I came across some Winchester 9MM 115 grain +P+ and 127 grain +P+ data. In a 5" Kimber the 127 grain averaged 1328 FPS, the 115 grain averaged 1437 FPS.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
ScotP7, Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. The 3" revolver was a Ruger SP101. The 3.5" semi-auto was a S&W 3913. The 16" carbine was a Marlin Camp 9. Rechecking my chronograph notes, I see the Federal 9BPLE only averaged 1587 FPS. There were no issues with the 9BPLE, but my notes indicate that in testing 5 rounds of the CorBon in the Marlin, 4 primers were cratered and one primer pierced. I wouldn't care to use anymore of that particular lot, especially in a straight blow back type firearm.

BTW, While looking through my notes, I came across some Winchester 9MM 115 grain +P+ and 127 grain +P+ data. In a 5" Kimber the 127 grain averaged 1328 FPS, the 115 grain averaged 1437 FPS.

Rock185,
Thanks much for taking the time to follow up.
Great data to know.
Even without the BPLE quite getting to 1600, your numbers make me feel pretty good about my CX4 Storm loaded with them by the bedside. That's a muzzle energy over 600.
And your Winchester numbers certainly go along with Para's observation that it is a hotter load than the Federals.
Much appreciated.
Scott