SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    **UPDATE..pics and range report**Anyone get one of the recent Star BM surplus guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**UPDATE..pics and range report**Anyone get one of the recent Star BM surplus guns? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I just ordered a “very good” condition one for $225...should be here by the end of the week. I had a model B that I really liked and have heard nothing but good stuff about the BM. Anyone else get one of these from the recent century batch?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
No.....but I'm tempted. I was looking at those last night on the AIM site. Please keep us posted when you get it and shoot it. Lots of pics please.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I ordered one last year. It was advertised as "very good" and I opted for "hand select". It had rust, pitting and damaged parts. I returned it. Hope your experience is better.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I ordered one last year. It was advertised as "very good" and I opted for "hand select". It had rust, pitting and damaged parts. I returned it. Hope your experience is better.

Well that stinks. I saw a few of the “good” ones at a gunshow a couple weeks back and they were in pretty good shape. These are marked poor, fair, good, very good, and excellent on the box by century Arms not the dealer selling them. Hopefully I get a decent one. For $200 I’m not too concerned?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Local gun shop had some they advertised as "good condition" so I stopped in to check them out.

They had a half dozen in the used pistol case and I would be hard pressed to call them "fair" much less good. All had rust and pitting.

I wish you luck but I wouldn't buy one without inspecting it first.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have photos of my vg in a previous thread. Some pitting, over all not a bad pistol.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well I picked up the gun. I would call it good condition. Definitely worth $200 in my opinion. No rust that I can see. I took it to the range and shot 150 rounds of the crappiest ammo I could find (the Remington steel case 115gr bulk pack) and it never missed a beat. The hammer did bite me a little bit but not too bad.

First mag at 10 yards unsupported

Took the target out to 20 yards unsupported and the groups opened up quite a bit but what do you expect from a gun with tiny Sights

So I’m thinking I might send this one to Mahovsky’s to get nickel plates and turned into a pimp gun. For $135 what the hell Smile

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Dusty,

That one looks much nicer than the "good" one's I mentioned earlier.

I think you did pretty good for $200.

Enjoy!!

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Local GS has 10 of these for sale.

Well then, I best take a look and size one up.

Dusty, appears to be accurate, given the age and provenance.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pistola for $200 - but it's odd that they lasered a separate and different serial number onto it... The old/five-digit serial looks fine.

Posts: 426 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I picked one up last year and my range report is here. I can't prove it, but I suspect the differences in the conditions of some of the pistols might be based on the vendors they were purchased from. For less than $300 (includes hand picked VG and extra mag) it might be my gateway to owning a true 1911 in 9mm.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ofc.JR
posted Hide Post
Congrats! The Star BM was and is an excellent pistol, save for 2 things. Both are easily addressed.
1. Star, during first run of the BM, put over length firing pins in the BM. Be aware of this problem if you like to carry a 1911 pattern pistol in condition 3(It is and it's not. There are some differences) . The pin can be dressed to the 1911 style shorter length(And should be!), or replaced w/ the later shorter style pin.
2. Sometimes, some BM's seem to break barrel links. Doesn't seem to happen all the time, but over the years, I have had to replace the link on a couple of BM's, so be aware. The link is available new thru Jack first Gun Parts(On the Web), as is newer firing pins.

Other then that, the BM is a really a solid little pistol. Original magazines are getting scarce, decent workable new magazines are available thru Triple K, and possibly Pro Mag.

One last warning. If you take the left side grip off, DO NOT PUSH THE THUMB SAFETY PAST THE STOP POINT OF THE GRIP!! The grip acts as a a limiter to the safety, and if you push past the grip limit, the spring loaded safety detent plunger WILL eject itself into places unknown. It rides on the back side of the safety and the safety holds it in place. Look at a schematic and you will see of which I speak.
Oh, and be easy w/ +P ammo, if you shoot the stuff. A good amount of +P ammo will cause problems over a short amount of time. The BM was never meant for +P.
Other then that, have fun, they are great pistols! Big Grin

"Cry Havoc and let slip..."
"Sic Semper Tyrannis!!"

Posts: 46 | Location: High Plains of Texas | Registered: December 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called or emailed(?) them about ordering one and picking it up. They said I could put it in a cart and then special instruction to pick up. They said I could pick from several when I got there or not take any if I did not like the quality.

Decided to buy a different gun altogether.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Dusty after reading your report I ended up picking one up locally. Bought it from a member of another forum. $200 for a good condition one in the box with 3 mags! Transfer fee got me out the door for $231.80.

Here's the first mag out of it at 10 yards.

and here's the next two mags at 10 yards.

Very happy with this pistol!

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Just another update. Found out if you remove the magazine drop safety, the mags will drop free of the gun when you eject a magazine.

With the mag drop safety in the gun, the mags only pop out about a 1/2 inch.

There are videos on youtube on how to remove it. Took about 2 minutes and was super simple!

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Mine was good to go, in very good condition, internally at least.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post