SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Evaluation question for collectors please...

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Evaluation question for collectors please... Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
How do begin to price a collectible pistol when it's the only one ever made? I won a 1/1 Sig in one of Sigs monthly raffles about 8 years ago. Naturally the pistol is as clean as the day it arrived, never been fired, and I have all of the factory documentation and my correspondence via Email with Sig at the time, photos, etc. Probably about 10 pages of documentation. How do I price this?

Mods, if this is not appropriate, please lmk. It's not meant as a WTS sell ad, rather a beginning point should the need arise that I elect to sell. Naturally I would give our members first crack at it as they are more apt to appreciate it's significance. Thanks guys.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
One of a kind stuff? Price it however you want. People will decide if they want to spend the money.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q. I know you have a ton of knowledge on Sigs, and in particular the 228. I was actually going to reach out to you, but then just figured I would post for all to comment. I'm lucky in that my wife insists I don't sell it at all, or at least sell it last, so Ive got that going for me! I let a beautiful Python go here a few months back to one of the members here.
I'm not quite over that yet, and still have a little sellers regret. Thanks.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Something like a prototype for the P228 series is one thing. Something like a 1 of 1 special edition P226? Maybe it’s worth a hundred or two more than a regular P226, but it’s not gonna pay for your kids college.

Not knowing exactly what you have, it’s hard to say what dollar amount we’re looking at. And as already pointed out, it’s value really is only what someone else is willing to pay. Understand that just because it’s 1/1 doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth it’s weight in gold.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

posted Hide Post
One could say I am a collector, not of any one type of pistol as 12131 concentrates on P228s, but I do prefer older vintage pieces whether Sigs, Walther or Mauser. I can tell you that price depends on demand, without demand, the only value is to the lover of the pistol and its possession. Someone told me recently that the used Walther P99 vin 1997 was not worth the $5xx I paid for it. To me it was. I am happy to have it. Collecting is not an investment! It is satisfying a true love of a mechanical/work.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what makes it unique. Are we talking about an unusual finish? A special set of grips or sights? Engraving? The gun may be worth a lot more than a "normal" one and then it might be worth less.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
It's a Special Configuration P229. Since Q is the resident P228 expert I figured he would be the man in the know:

ETA-Guess it was more like 11 years ago.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Hopefully if you do have to part with it someday, you can find someone who can give you what it is worth.

Rare oftentimes doesn't equate to valuable.

I was able to buy a P220 in 7.65mm for $705 (among other Sigs that don't present themselves that often). Nobody in Arizona wanted an oddball pistol that used ammo that wasn't a .45 or 9mm I suppose. Idunno.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
So, it looks like an all stainless P229 .40 with a Canadian length barrel?

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna just say it: I don’t think theres any collector value other than to you because you won it.

There’s no way to see the future, but I don’t imagine any P229 being a collector piece. But you never know what people will think in 50 or 100 years.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy