Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Nickel Login/Join 
posted
Saw a listing for a 229 Nickel for sale on the blue forum and it caused me to realize that a 229 I have that i mistakenly THOUGHT was the Gun of the month 229 from 2004 was NOT, in fact, a GOTM but seems to have been produced later, maybe in 2006.

Mine has black controls, Hogue rubber grips, and a serial # starting with ACU. The GOTM has nickel controls and AL serial #. There appear to be some other folks who have one of these - best i can tell from those few posts i found suggest that the pistol was made in 2006. But I can find no record of this model anywhere and the Hogue grips are unusual.

Anyone know if this was some kind of limited run?

Box says 229-40-SN but also has another sticker (the other box photos i found had the same sticker) that says SG29R40ENS.

It's clearly a factory nickel gun but the box label is a little different from the others...makes me think these had to be some kind of one-off run. Any input would help.

Here is what these guns look like:

Any info would be nice. I paid 900 for a NIB example not quite a year ago thinking it was the GOTM (same product number). Silly me I guess...lesson learned to dig more in the future.

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i also have seen its cousin on GB for awhile...too expensive for what it is but point being - same hogue grips on same time frame pistol.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735488804

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My guess is SN is satin nickle and ENS may be electroless nickle satin ? Only thing else I can think of is OMG thats a sweet pistol! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Lee,

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Don't know anything about these Ni 229s. Did you contact SIG and see what they have to say about yours? If yours was a couple years after the June 2004 GOTM, then they will have some info.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Don't know anything about these Ni 229s. Did you contact SIG and see what they have to say about yours? If yours was a couple years after the June 2004 GOTM, then they will have some info.

Agree, Q. When i realized it was newer, that became the plan. But then I had to go to work and I forgot to call! I'll call them and report back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
My guess is SN is satin nickle and ENS may be electroless nickle satin ? Only thing else I can think of is OMG thats a sweet pistol! Big Grin

i agree for sure about SN. Wish the product code wasn't the same as the GOTM. would have saved me some confusion.

Where are you seeing ENS? I saw NS but figured that just meant night sights.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Oooops..I meant NSC which still leaves me confused. Further, I recall some railed nickle P220s but I swear that P226 in the link I never knew of.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
In your reference to other box photos, ENS. Perhaps night sights?

posted Hide Post
ahh yes i do see that now. i wonder now if that was a typo or if my box actually says ENS where this one says NSC. that'd be something.

i'll check and post back.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I think the big sticker is just the distributor's, not SIG's.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

i think you're right. mine has the exact same sticker except it has a slightly different model # from the one in the pic. Mine says SG29R40ENS, the one in the pics i posted says SG29R40NSC.

Mine is 12rd, the one in the pic is 10rd. I guess that could be the difference.

Interestingly, the one in the pic is the next serial # in line. i'm 89, he's 90.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quantum13:
quote:

i think you're right. mine has the exact same sticker except it has a slightly different model # from the one in the pic. Mine says SG29R40ENS, the one in the pics i posted says SG29R40NSC.

Mine is 12rd, the one in the pic is 10rd. I guess that could be the difference.

Interestingly, the one in the pic is the next serial # in line. i'm 89, he's 90.

And, your box has the factory sticker, 229-40-SN, right? SN = Satin Nickel.

Q

posted Hide Post
it does have a sticker that says 229-40-SN, yes. The distributor sticker kinda half covers it.

the pic i posted of ACU00090 does not have said sticker.

it's very possible that the distributor sticker is completely covering the 229-40-SN label on the example above.

it is interesting tho - it is different from other sig labels i've seen. since it might help someone i'll go ahead and post it. gimme a sec.

posted Hide Post

if you look at the pic above i think that same label is hiding underneath the distributor sticker of ACU00090 (look where the sticker is torn). But it is a little weird for a Sig label, isnt it? Makes me think they kinda randomly ran a few of these off for some reason. I don't think it was a normal model.

posted Hide Post
Looks to me your label is E29R-40-SN (rail) and the GOTM is 229-40-SN (no rail). 2 different models. I have the GOTM model.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:
Looks to me your label is E29R-40-SN (rail) and the GOTM is 229-40-SN (no rail). 2 different models. I have the GOTM model.

Yeah. And, I don't think there's anything weird with that factory label at all. That's the way it's supposed to look.

Q

10mm. It's like two
40s with every shot.
posted Hide Post
GOTM also did not have a rail. I bought mine in Aug or Sept of 2004 when they were released. I don't think you overpaid but didn't steal it either. It's a great looking pistol. Enjoy it.

Posts: 618 | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
So what's the 'E' in 'E29R' stand for? Exeter?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
So what's the 'E' in 'E29R' stand for? Exeter?

"E" at the front of the Part Number indicates standard capacity.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwp10mm:
GOTM also did not have a rail. I bought mine in Aug or Sept of 2004 when they were released. I don't think you overpaid but didn't steal it either. It's a great looking pistol. Enjoy it.

yeah once i started digging into this, i realized that.

it's not like me to miss something so big - guess i just got caught up in the excitement!

once it came in, i put it in a Zerust bag and had not thought about it much until i saw the for sale post and realized something didn't quite 'line up'.