SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Just acquired a Beretta Pico
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just acquired a Beretta Pico Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
It seems to me that the tiny thing could really benefit from a +1 or +2 magazine base plate instead of the silly extension they come with. And the magazine release sure isn’t going to release inadvertently. Wink

I’m going to need some time to familiarize myself with this. On the plus side, it does have pretty decent sights for a little pocket .380, which is why I decided to try one out.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Have you been able to take her to the range yet? I would be interested to here your thoughts on the Pico.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've had two Picos, an early one and a later/current model. The early model was picky with ammo and had a terrible trigger. The current or "upgraded" model is a lot better and shoots as well as the LCP or Bodyguard .380. The sights are definitely a plus. I think they did a nice job on it overall. The grip is a bit too small for me but it didn't seem to affect shooting.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Had a early xx4000 s/n and had many issues. Beretta replaced it with a Gen2 - Single recoil spring and a free mag. I paid the $369.00 and now their $269.00.

I also took one of my Extended Pinky Mags and ground it down - It is my fav - but can shoot well with all of them.

I love mine - carry it the most -Pocket and IWB.
I shoot it a lot, 1000 so far - Still has a stubborn slide to battery on a full mag.

I also took off .10" off the follower allowing it to go deeper at the 6+1 carry mode.

No issue for me - I LOVE Mine.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the color!!! On the 2nd generation models is there a particular defense ammo that seems to run the best thru the Pico?

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots anything - 99.9% are my reloads - medium 100gr. Original needed as much as you could afford - Buffalo Bore, +P like and it loved Magtech. Those dual recoil springs were too much.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Just got back from an informal range session. It works well with Federal, Remington and Winchester FMJ, as one might expect. The only JHP I had was some old Remington that doesn’t expand but feeds about like FMJ. It worked fine as well. The three dot sights were right on the money at 5 yards. I like that they’re metal and adjustable for windage, and secured in the dovetails with allen head screws. I also like the steel magazine release and magazines. The mags snap into position positively, even fully loaded. The “paddle” mag release takes a little getting used to and the motion needed to release it, combined with the tiny grip, make mag changes somewhat difficult for me.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They look weirdly top heavy to me, do they feel that way in the hand?

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great to finally see some feedback on these. The last of this genre I tried was the Taurus TCP, T otally C rappy P istol..as it wouldn't feed well at all.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They look weirdly top heavy to me, do they feel that way in the hand?

I think part of that appearance is due to the short grip. I can get only my middle finger on the grip if I dont have the mag with the extension floor plate on it in the pistol. To me, even the original Ruger LCP handles better. But that may be due to familiarity. I much prefer the Pico’s sights, metal mag release, modular design, and takedown method. If Beretta was smart, they’d take advantage of the modular design and offer a replacement frame that accepted a longer magazine holding 2 more rounds. Replacement frames in variety colors aren’t anything I care about.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Its defective out of the box. All of them are. Terrible design. I had one, I broke it down and inspected everything and was flabbergasted at what I saw. Feed ramp angle so steep !! Bullets slammed into the feed ramp and being pushed back into the cases. What a terrible, terrible gun. I'd prefer a Kel-tec. And this coming from a huge Beretta fan. They screwed the pooch on this gun.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope it works for you. Myself, I can't stand the damn thing.

The only Pico I ever shot was absolute dog. It was an early gun bought by a customer that had seen some live fire use by the time I tried it, but the darn thing in my hand could not cycle any ammo reliably, which was why it was brought back to us for help in remediation. We sent it back to Beretta and it came back running better, but still nothing close to 100% reliable.

As for the design and engineering: the Picos I've handled and shot are stupidly unrefined. Operating the slide stop is something of a cruel joke, as is that inane mag catch. It has the looks of a LCP that someone took and left out in the middle of the street in front of their house, and the neighbor with the duelie Ford F-550 work truck pulled out of his driveway and ran it over. Twice.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Well, mine seems to work. I agree that the slide release is useless. And that the mag release is a PITA. But at least I can insert a fully loaded magazine and have it lock in place reliably, unlike the LCPs I have. Really, the absurdly short grip is the only serious beef I have with it.

Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
I simply cut 1/2" off the ridiculous extended mag and wound up with a "perfect" two finger grip.

(And with a year's use and 300 rounds of Fiocchi 90gr XTP HP's fired I've had zero malfunctions.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elde,

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the upgraded versions last year. Never had an issue with chambering or firing.
But yes the mag release, for me, had to be done by the free hand. But for its purpose and conceal ability it was well suited. I did sell it for a newer Walther .380 for the wife.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post