SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    All you P228 owners - School me on them, please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All you P228 owners - School me on them, please. Login/Join 
posted
I have been looking at all the photos of these cool P228s you guys have. Especially the nickel ones. And I want one. But I have held off due to confusion:
1- The current M11-A1 often described as a 228. But its actually a 229, right?
2- Judging on the photos I have seen, the 228 appears to be a P225 Classic, but with a high capacity frame and a rounded trigger guard. Is that accurate?
3- Give me a price range on both the black and nickel models. I just saw a nickel on GunBroker for 2.5K! I just want to know what a good deal is so I can jump when get the opportunity.
4- All 228s were German made, right? None made or assembled in the US?
5- Throw in any relevant info on the 228 you think I might need to know before buying. I want to be able to make a halfway informed choice when the time comes.
Thanks in advance.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I don't think you are going to find more info than contained in this thread! Good luck, best Sig ever made IMO.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...810077763#3810077763

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
No doubt I am in the minority, but I think the P228 is overrated. I would rather have a P229 or P239.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link! Thats a great thread. And 700 bucks is do-able, since I want a shooter not a safe queen.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
No doubt I am in the minority, but I think the P228 is overrated. I would rather have a P229 or P239.

I don't think the P228 is necessarily overrated. It is certainly a fantastic pistol. But I do agree that the P229 is better. So I'd say the P229 is underrated!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Get the best of both worlds, buy a cheap P229 .40 police trade-in, pick up a complete P228 slide and barrel on eBay and get a P228 locking block and recoil spring online. You can use the P229 .40 mags with 9mm just fine and I think you get another round in. I like the P229, but if you don't need the stainless steel slide heft for .40 or .357 SIG, I like the lighter folded steel slide of a P228 better.

I have a P239 and it is my least favorite SIG I own.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm in that same minority. I like my P228 well enough, but my P229s are just as good if not better for me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

I'm in that same minority. I like my P228 well enough, but my P229s are just as good if not better for me.

I guess I'm in that minority too. My 228 is a great gun, my 229s are just better.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the European police trade-in P228s. It has the Hogue style rubber grip without finger grooves.
Fits my large hand and balances better with a 13 round loaded magazine than any other pistol.
It is a slightly scarred warrior and I wish it could tell the tales of what it has seen.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
To be honest - here in CA the Classic P-series are so expensive as to be unattainable for most mortals. I used to have a slew of them in the mid-2000’s and regret getting rid of them when I retooled to Glock... my original 228 hurt most of all to sell...

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Get the best of both worlds, buy a cheap P229 .40 police trade-in, pick up a complete P228 slide and barrel on eBay and get a P228 locking block and recoil spring online. You can use the P229 .40 mags with 9mm just fine and I think you get another round in. I like the P229, but if you don't need the stainless steel slide heft for .40 or .357 SIG, I like the lighter folded steel slide of a P228 better.

I have a P239 and it is my least favorite SIG I own.

I ran a P229R that started life in 40S&W with a 9mm P229 slide that Flork built up for me. When using it in a class, I learned that one can get 13 9mm rounds in a 10 round .40 S&W / .357 Sig magazine. I also learned that with 10 rounds it was very reliable, with 11 rounds a little less reliable, with 12 rounds considerably less reliable and with 13 rounds mostly unreliable. What happened was the rounds wedged and stuck part way down in the tube, which caused the magazine to stop feeding.

To me, standing around holding the gun, the 228 feels subjectively better balanced than the P229. When shooting them I can’t tell the difference. I carry a P228, and religiously wipe it down every single day. Some of the finish has worn off the slide (honest holster patina), and given half a chance it would rust. The P229 can be setup to run 9mm, .40S&W, and .357 Sig, giving one options, and I’d be a lot less worried about a slide machined from a block of stainless steel rusting.

I carry a P228, and having already put the wear and tear on this pistol, I’m not excited about switching and doing the same to my P229R. If I were starting again, knowing what I know now, I suspect I’d choose differently.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS just sold a pre-owned M11A1 for $595. With the three mags that come with that gun, it was a bargain price. I really like the balance of mine and overall it is about as durable as one can get in a battle ready firearm.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's my opinion as well. I owned a very nice P228 but could never warm up to it. It might be just in my mind but the P228 didn't feel as good as a P229, either with HOGUE grips or oem plastic grips. I felt the P228 in 9mm was a limitation whereas a P229 was more versatile in all three calibers.

To each his own, it's nice to have choices.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is Q?

Agree a bit with the above. I think the "classic" P series guns get a bit of hero worship here. I am constantly astounded by people who would rather shoot a P6/225 then a newer in my opinion improved 225a1. Same goes with 228. I hear stuff about folded slides, better balance, etc. but can't actually say I've noticed much while actually shooting. Seems more academic than practical.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Where is Q?

Agree a bit with the above. I think the "classic" P series guns get a bit of hero worship here. I am constantly astounded by people who would rather shoot a P6/225 then a newer in my opinion improved 225a1. Same goes with 228. I hear stuff about folded slides, better balance, etc. but can't actually say I've noticed much while actually shooting. Seems more academic than practical.

Was thinking the same thing.... I thought he had a direct email to him anytime somebody posted about a 228

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not sure what else to say about it, as RobC2, in post #2, already posted that link to the P228 info thread.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
My KD 228 was better out of the box. More accurate and a much better trigger. My 229 will require work to be as good.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I like the standard trigger of the 228 better than the skinny trigger on the M11-A1, but, I really like the SRT in the M11-A1. That being said, I sent 2 of my 228s to Sig and had the SRT installed making them perfection, at least to me.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The true P228 is a thing of beauty. The lines are magnificent, and when I close my eyes and think about that picture perfect SIG, it is the classic P228.

From a shooting standpoint, P229 all the way. And frankly, the P229/9 Legion is about as good as it gets.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
My KF 228 was my first serious handgun. I like it alot, it's reliable and shoots well. My son likes it as well. He has a JK safequeen that gave him for graduation. My son has pretty nice collection of different handguns. When we shoot together it seems the 228 feels better than most in his collection. The P7 I have is more accurate, but doesn't feel as comfortable. The 228 may not be the best of the compact 9's but its pretty darn good.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post