SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Working with bone grips inquiry *update 1/10 done and installed*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working with bone grips inquiry *update 1/10 done and installed* Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I acquired some inexpensive, though seemingly well constructed and at least visually appealing Buffalo bone grips for my stainless Ruger 1911. They go on okay though I notice that the left panel doesn’t go 100% flat on the upper aspect, right where the safety plunger tube (I think that’s what it’s called) is. It looks like the inside of the grip panel needs to be relieved some, but what is the best method and tool for this job? I don’t need to take much, maybe a mm or 2 so it will then not touch the tube.

Here’s a pic of the grip area I’m talking about.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LincolnSixEcho,

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I had some Stag grips and also Giraffe Bone grips that I wanted to modify, similar to what your doing.
I called Mike @ MDGRIPS, and he said that bone is similar to wood in the aspect of cutting and sanding it.
In both cases I used progressively finer sandpaper to give the finish that I wanted. Are used a Dremel with a small barrel sander that a medium speed to takeoff small amounts of material in order to allow my thumb safety to fit properly.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a small round file like would be used to sharpen a chainsaw. Or sandpaper wrapped around an appropriate diameter dowel or nail.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah I tried some sandpaper and it worked pretty well. Just a little at a time. Needs a tiny bit more removed, but overall it’s getting there. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
If you own a good set of needle files, they should do the job for you.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are bone / stag grips coated with a sealer that helps to keep them from fading and cracking?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15992 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
It seems mine are, at least with a very thin layer of something.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Got them to fit after a bit more sanding, little at a time. They seem nice enough. Not as nice as say giraffe or ivory, but I wanted something that was not synthetic for a change so I figured Buffalo bone would be a good compromise. Color is clean and they fill the hand a little more than the factory wood grips.

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
WOW! Those are indeed beautiful. Looks great on there.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
WOW! Those are indeed beautiful. Looks great on there.

Thanks a lot! I was on the fence about if it would look good with the black controls, but it’s growing on me.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Those do look amazing!

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Very nice. How does that Off. Mod. F,F,& E ?

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:

FF and E???

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I think he means feed, fire, and eject. but it's not an "off. mod." to begin with....

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3177 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:

FF and E???

Yes, Feed Fire Eject. I looks like a Officers Model to me ?

Harry S. Truman

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job. Looks great.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

That is a good looking combination

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. To answer the question now that I know what is being asked, it shoots fine thus far with no issues. The grip safety is a little loose side to side, but overall fit and finish is pretty good on this Ruger commander.

Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Thanks guys. To answer the question now that I know what is being asked, it shoots fine thus far with no issues. The grip safety is a little loose side to side, but overall fit and finish is pretty good on this Ruger commander.

Yes a Commander. Looking at the machining at front of slide/frame. The camera angle on your 2nd picture got me.

I asked about function because I know two people who bought Ruger 1911 (officers) for CC. One ran great out of the box. The other guy had send his back. Ruger made it right and they both run.

Your Commander looks real nice with those grips.

Harry S. Truman