SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Want to purchase a Legion? What Caliber? 9mm, 357 Sig or 45?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to purchase a Legion? What Caliber? 9mm, 357 Sig or 45? Login/Join 
posted
I am looking to buy the ultimate Sig Sauer...A Sig Sauer Legion...I narrowed it down to the P226 9mm or .357 Sig or the P220 in 45...I’m having a hard time deciding what to go with...I want to keep it long term...Lifetime...And this will be my only handgun...I need it for home protection and concealed carry...I have owned several Sig Sauers in the past and I am not new to guns...I need help from my Sig Sauer Brothers on this one...Thanks in advance...God Bless...

R.C. Hawk

Posts: 8 | Location: Girard, Ohio | Registered: July 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post some Legion pics if you have them...

R.C. Hawk

Posts: 8 | Location: Girard, Ohio | Registered: July 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hi. If you don't mind my asking, do you have a preference between the 226 and the 220?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
9mm P226. The 357 is fast on its way to being a boutique round, and the 220 weighs the same and holds 9 rounds.

The choice is a no brainer. “Stopping power” is simply a myth. Caliber wars devolve into which round is better to make a marginal hit with.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No preference...between the 226 and the 220...

R.C. Hawk

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If I were only getting one and had no preference, I'd go with the 226 in 9mm just because it'll shoot well and the combination is really something of a classic. Then again, I have to admit that my own preference is for 357SIGs and .45 ACPs with steel frames.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
You’re making this too difficult..... buy one of each! Problem solved!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for the p226 in 9mm if as you say it is going to be your only handgun. But I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that as well as your other statement that it will be used for concealed carry. Yes, you can conceal carry a full size handgun but it is much more difficult and often uncomfortable. So, my only suggestion besides the P226 in 9mm is forget the idea of it being your only handgun... I really can't imagine owning just one.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a Legion 226 9mm last year before I joined forum and learned more specifics. Happy with my Legion. For future and more flexibility, I would buy the 226 in 40 cal (or357Sig). To shoot 9mm only takes a 9mm bbl (and mags). To shoot 40 or 357 in the Legion 9mm takes a slide, bbl and mags.

Also the 226 Legion in 40 can usually be had for $100-200 less than the 9mm (cost of a 9 mm bbl).

Currently have less desire to shoot 40 or 357 but the option is easier if you buy 226 in 40 or 357.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Get the P226. I don’t find the value in the Legion series personally. My two Mk 25’ are just as capable and I don’t have to worry about their finish wearing off...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Not on your list, I know, but I purchased a P229 Legion in 9mm when I got back from my second deployment...I liked it so much I bought a spare, and I've carried it regularly. You don't lose much in grip, the 229-1 magazines hold 15 rounds of 9mm, and it's noticeably easier to conceal than a P226 (I own a pair of them without Legion trim).

The P226s I've handled have been wonderful but not enough to make me buy a third. I've fired many thousands of rounds through the P229s and wholeheartedly endorse them. The midframe makes a better all around handgun IMHO.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
229 in 9mm seems to be the choice to me. I could never conceal carry a 226, too big of a gun.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
226 Legion in 9mm

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P226 Legion in 9mm. I'm a big fan of this pistol.

For the record, with about 30,000 rounds through it and thousands of holster draws, the finish is pristine. I also carry it concealed. Disclosure: I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229 9mm

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends where you live, and your preferences. If you're in California or another state that limits magazine capacity, the P220 makes more sense, and the P220 is an outstanding firearm.

The P226 will be the most versatile, and the most comfortable to shoot.

I have a Legion P226 in .357 Sig, with .40 and 9mm barrels; it shoots all three fine, and oddly enough, cycles 9mm ammunition out of the .40/.357 magazines without any apparent difficulty. I wouldn't carry it like that, but I have shot it that way at the range to see how it cycled, and it does fine.

I have several Legions; the PVD finish is the weak point. It seems to rub away by simply looking at the pistol, and is not durable at all. There are plenty of comments on this site about the lack of durability of the finish on the Legion. It does look nice, but in my opinion, it's only good for the purchase date and after that, count on wear. I have silver showing through on various points on mine.

The prestige about the legion is overblown; the owners I've met at the range all seem to shoot the hell out of theirs, rather than keep them as show pieces, and I haven't seen anyone have a problem thus far, personally. The Legion has the Bruce Grey GGI-designed trigger, though apparently the Legions now have a different trigger (at least the double-action ones do.

I have a P229 with a smooth trigger, and a P226 with a somewhat gritty trigger, both old enough to have the GGI trigger in it. It's not objectionable and it's functional, but not nearly as smooth or as good as I've have expected for the price difference. The trigger also has side to side slop, which for the price point, ought to have been shimmed, in my opinion.

There are subtle features, different from the P226; the top of the front strap, below the trigger guard, is slightly relieved, and the front strap is checkered.

There's no reason why the P226 can't be carried concealed. The P229 is quite concealable, and the P226 isn't that much bigger.

Sig sells the Legion with the x-ray sights, a faded-green circle around the tritium vial in the front. They're okay, but don't make a very good contrast against some backgrounds. I like the Trijicon HD orange front, but there's another added expense.

Sig did a nice job with the Legion, though I think they're charging a bit much for it, made up for by hyping the concept of joining the club and getting a cheesy coin (which they won't give or sell to an owner if not the original purchaser...which is also a cheap approach in an effort to make the pistols more "exclusive." I'd have much rather seen them bend over backward to support the owner, no matter if if it's the initial buyer or not. That would have a been a lot more impressive (kind of like Snap-On tools).

The real irony is that Sig charges enough for the pistols that I wouldn't make one of these my daily cary; it's relegated to safe duty and occasional range use; I enjoy it, but for me it's too expensive to go beat up. If I were carrying a P226, I'd rather take a stock one at half the price and beat that up.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XxRCHAWKxX:
I am looking to buy the ultimate Sig Sauer...A Sig Sauer Legion...I narrowed it down to the P226 9mm or .357 Sig or the P220 in 45...I’m having a hard time deciding what to go with...I want to keep it long term...Lifetime...And this will be my only handgun...I need it for home protection and concealed carry...I have owned several Sig Sauers in the past and I am not new to guns...I need help from my Sig Sauer Brothers on this one...Thanks in advance...God Bless...

If you are dead set on a Legion, I say jump and don't look back, if you are not, then CDNN has new P226 Elite's in 9mm for 699 plus shipping right now. That is damn hard hard beat. It has the E2 grip, but that can be fixed cheap.

I regret selling my P229 Legion DA/SA every damn day. I am currently saving for the new P229 SAO model. I currently own a P226 Legion SAO and am currently in love with this weapon.

If I was only to have one handgun, I would go for the P229 myself in 9mm due to size for carry, but if you can conceal a P226, by all means do it. I would if I could. If you are thinking long term, the 9mm/45ACP is going to be around forever. 357 Sig is a fantastic little round. I have owned 3 in my life and miss them, but I don't miss the cost of ammo. I can get 1K cases of 124 grain 9mm for 225 shipped. 40 is 230 shipped. 45 is 250-275 shipped and 357 Sig is well over 350 a case shipped. That alone is why I will never own another one. I have multiple handguns and between 9mm/45ACP, I go through 6-7K rounds a year or more. If I had just one, I would probably shoot it more, and the added cost of 357 Sig ammo would break me. Now if you reload, throw all that out the door and the cost comes way done.

Something else to think about is the cost of the 357 Sig Legion. I have seen them and 40 S&W models hitting a low mark of 700 on the used market.

P229 Legion:

P226 Legion SAO:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rockchalk06,

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I like 357SIG and shooting 40S&W, so that's where I'd be at. Plus there's are aftermarket 9mm conversion barrels if I want to shoot a cheaper caliber. I'm not a fan of the Legion series and the schlocky marketing drivel that comes with them, but to each his own. As for the choice between the full-size or the compact P229; again, personal preference. I prefer the compact myself but I own plenty of P226s as well. P220s also, for that matter. Hard to go too wrong with any of them.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.americanrifleman.o...-series-p226-pistol/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Option "D" - The Legion P220 in 10mm.

Because the 10mm is louder.

The sound alone makes Superman wet himself.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post