SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grip pressure phenomenon.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grip pressure phenomenon. Login/Join 
Picture of E_Rock81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Interesting. This is helpful info, indeed, as I'd heard of grip pressure being an issue w/Glocks, but never had it clarified. Went to the range a couple days ago w/my Gen 4 G22 and worked on trigger finger vs. grip pressure variations, and indeed saw that it is grip pressure more so than trigger finger that is apparently the cause of shots going left. Yes we can learn to shoot the darn things, then but people can overcome all sorts of things that we'd still not endorse as just normal.

This seems like a design flaw, if it indeed is such a common problem, which anecdotal evidence suggests it is. If I had to grip the wheel of my Corolla just so in order to keep the car from drifting to the left, yet my 4Runner requires no such grip, we'd say something needs to be adjusted with the design of the Corolla, yes? Maybe the frame is bent, maybe the alignment is off?

Yet not so with a pistol design? My 1911 shoots just dandy, regardless. My SIG P-Series pistols (all of them) shoot just dandy, regardless. My other pistols shoot just dandy, regardless.

There's enough to overcome in shooting in general without having to factor in an added variable of a pistol's inherent sensitivity, that I don't see how the Glock platform is so worthwhile it merits selection over a platform without such sensitivities. That is, it's not like learning to shoot a Glock well causes golden rainbow unicorns to appear and all the bad guys to just throw down their arms and give up, whereas shooting my SIGs well just puts the rounds in the X ring w/out the fanfare.

Frankly this is disappointing....I'd always assumed I have a place for Glock, but I'm thinking not anymore. I've spent FAR more time and money focusing on Glock shooting that my other systems, and though I can shoot the Glock well, it's analogous to learning to run with a weight vest on....a good workout, but nothing you particularly enjoy, and done only to serve a greater end. I always enjoy my SIGs (and other platforms more) for a variety of reasons, so I'll stick with them for the avocational fun.

Plus, it's disappointing that so many LE agencies have adopted the Glock given this inherent issue. Why not select a pistol platform that doesn't require training out/around a design flaw? That is, if M&P or P320 or HK or insert model X doesn't have this issue, choose that, let scores come up, let there be less time training, and go from there? I wager it has to do with groupthink and cost first...Glocks are stupid simple and reliable and inexpensive and armorers are like the Maytag repairman. Those points have their merit, no doubt, but Glock does not have an exclusive corner on the market in these areas anymore.

All good points. The thing that always had me wondering was why it took other manufacturers so long to at least mimic the size of the G19. Also, I absolutely agree that there's enough to overcome while learning the intricacies of pistol shooting to worry about experimenting with grip pressure. If Glock was the only pistol platform out there, then I would most definitely make adjustments.

There's another theory out there that the locking block geometry has an inherent flaw. Some folks were claiming that the locking block was presenting uneven wear. Theorizing the barrel was chanting slightly to the left while firing. Further, when I stil owned my 3rd gen G19, I took it out to the range with my 4th gen. I shot both of them to the left of center. I then invited other shooters to try them out and all 5 of them shot them left of center. There was one person who managed to shoot dead straight with the 4th gen. but the gen 3 was going left. My conclusion was maybe it was the smaller grip of the gen 4, but I know it's only smaller by a fraction.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the thing I like about the 320 the most is that the grip on it is so very forgiving. I can really put bad input into the grip, and I get nice groups in return.

But, I shoot everything with the same grip I use on the Glock. It aids in locking out my strong side wrist. You can take any gun and hold it in your master grip. Grip the gun to where you are wrapping the grip around it. Then grip it front to back mildly. You can watch all the tendons in the forearm move, and the wrist tighten just by a little bit. This action on a 226 makes the sights barely move at speed. And I like that from the fast side of things.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point about the grip, jljones...perhaps I should just look at the Glock learning curve as setting me up to have a good universal grip. A very positive way to view it.

And, good to know your Glock grip transfers well to your P-Series. Next range trip is to spend time with my P239, so I'll see how that works for me.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Honestly when I shoot a Glock I aim a bit to the right. It works for me.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post