SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    H&K VP9, CZ Shadow 2, "How Many Guns Do You Need?" and Other Thoughts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&K VP9, CZ Shadow 2, "How Many Guns Do You Need?" and Other Thoughts Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
This is more meandering thoughts on a cold winter's day, with snow to be removed and avoiding dealing with it Wink, than anything else.

Back when I was looking for a compact 9mm carry pistol (I settled on the Walther PPS M2) I fondled an H&K VP9 at the LGS. Boy, did that pistol ever call to me! It's been on my mind, ever since.

I'm doing a small, post-retirement side job that's going to bring me some spare bucks and here I am thinking about Yet Another Handgun--which gets me to thinking about the VP9 again. Especially since they came out with the VP9B.

Or maybe another 9mm race gun? I really like my G34, and I shoot it well, but I'm just not all that enamoured of Glocks. I'd be inclined toward the CZ Shadow 2, save for the $1200 price tag. That's kind of steep. This "windfall": Once it's gone, it's gone. So it's not like I have money to burn.

Then there's my Sig P320F in .45 ACP. Shoots like a charm and I find I'm really liking the .45 ACP. The recent P220 Compact karma got me to thinking maybe it would be nice to have a .45 ACP compact for CC?

A carry companion for for my P229S 357 Sig might be interesting, too. Thought I would do that, once-upon-a-time. Then dropped the idea when I couldn't find a P229 in 357 Sig in the condition I wanted for what I wanted to spend.

The problem with another carry pistol is then another holster, mag carriers, and mags. Plus both .45 ACP and 357 Sig are much more expensive to shoot. (Come to think of it: I bought a bunch of 357 Sig mags when I was still planning on buying a P229 in 357 Sig. Hmmm...)

I briefly considered a Ruger SR1911 9mm when they first came out. I have no 1911s, and it seems like I should. 1911s just never tripped my trigger. The Ruger seemed interesting, but product fit and finish was highly-variable at the time. I looked at two of them at a LGS. They looked and felt differently from one another, neither looked like Ruger's photos, and Ruger dismissed my concerns.

Always did want a center-fire combat handgun "replica" in .22 cal. That would probably be the least expensive to buy and shoot, and would probably quench the new handgun wants, but nobody ever seems to get them quite right Frown.

I'm reminded of:

"Frank, let me sum this up for you: you don't know who you are, you don't know what you want, and you don't know what the hell is going on!" - Ghost of Christmas Past, Scrooged

Oh yeah, the "How many guns do you need?" If I buy anything, the love of my life will certainly ask me that question. She won't object, but she will ask the question.

Or maybe I'll win Q's karma and the problem will be solved? Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. It's like an insatiable A.D.D. of "oh, something shiny that BOOMS"!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
"How Many Guns Do You Need?"

As many as you damn well like... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I feel your pain. It's like an insatiable A.D.D. of "oh, something shiny that BOOMS"!

TBH: I think that's mostly it Razz

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
"How Many Guns Do You Need?"

As many as you damn well like... Wink

<Looks around...>

"Hon! We're going to need a bigger house!" Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many guns do I need? Just one... of each.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I probably have more than I really need but I like shooting them and enjoy shooting a variety of pistols and when I go to the range I take 3-4 along. I am probably not alone on this but the near constant drumbeat of gun bans/restrictions at the federal and state level has kept me from selling much of anything as far as firearms since the Bill Clinton years. Sure we have a respite with President Trump in the white house but that will not last forever and things are looking ugly at the state level. I am very wary of selling a firearm that I really like, but may not shoot much currently, because the time may come that I really regret selling it and may not able to buy one again, especially at a reasonable price.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many guns so I need?

One more.

I've found that the informal list in my head never gets shorter, no matter how many I buy.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Here's my VP9 story ensigmatic, just to help you make a decision. Wink

Last year I went to my LGS with full intention on buying a P320. Just wanted to shoot their rental on the range, just to be sure.
When I arrived, it was being used. Guy behind the counter asked "ever shoot a VP9?" I thought why not, maybe I can shoot the P320 next.

Didn't bother with the P320. I left that day a proud VP9 owner. It just shoots and feels so right in my hands.

Not too long ago I bought a P320SC. Got a Vedder holster, put a bunch of rounds through it and love it. I've gotten use to carrying it.

Tuesday I pick up a P365! Cool
I certainly don't need it, but man I do want it! Smile

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
There’s always at least one more I ”need”... Right now I have a hunger for a CZ SP-01 Tactical, but I’m also hankerin’ for a Glock 43X. And for some inexplicable reason I really want a Beretta Tomcat 3032 Inox. Can’t explain it other than I think it’s such a cool little gun. The list never does get any shorter...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am an Hk fanboy, so I say get the vp9. I have 4 cz's but they don't call to me like SIG's and Hk's. How many do you need? Well, not many. But life is short, so get what you wantSmile

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ P10C! Less muzzle flip than the VP9, super accurate and cheap!

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Shadow II a couple of months ago, and really love it! As you noted, a bit pricey, but IMHO well worth it.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
Here's my VP9 story ensigmatic, just to help you make a decision. Wink

Last year I went to my LGS with full intention on buying a P320.
I left that day a proud VP9 owner. It just shoots and feels so right in my hands.

Oh, I can understand that, all right. I was actually in the market for a compact 9mm carry piece and I nearly abandoned that quest for the VP9 Smile

quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
Well, I am an Hk fanboy, so I say get the vp9.

I might just do that.

Right now I'm mostly leaning toward VP9, Walther PPQ 22 or, *sigh* CZ Shadow 2. (This little side-job's going to have to produce a helluva check for it to be the CZ, though.)

quote:
Originally posted by toto:
CZ P10C! Less muzzle flip than the VP9, super accurate and cheap!

Looks kind of interesting, but I'm not really feeling the need for an improved Glock look-alike, even if it's perfect, and it seems the P10 C has had some growing pains.

I bit too fast on the P320 and I'm still smarting from that. (And I still have to send mine in.)

quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
I picked up a Shadow II a couple of months ago, and really love it! As you noted, a bit pricey, but IMHO well worth it.

Out of my list, that one certainly has the most "wow factor" attraction, and no mistake.

And I keep looking at this target sitting behind my monitor. I'll have to see if I've a photo, somewhere.

Made a new one. This was a range day when I was checking out an S&W M&P 9. Couldn't shoot for schitt with it. Two of my best friends were there: One with his CZ 75B and the other with his Glock G34. Ran a mag through each.

This is what I did with the CZ, effortlessly.

I subsequently tried to acquire a CZ 75B in satin stainless, but, by then, CZ has discontinued it in favour of polished. Did not like. Went with the Glock.

I'm thinking a Shadow 2, well...

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Now's a good time to buy a Dan Wesson V-Bob... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8870 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
polymer vp09
steel cz shadow,tactical

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Now's a good time to buy a Dan Wesson V-Bob... Wink

Yeah... even more expen$ive than the CZ and I'm not really a 1911 guy, so probably not Smile

quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
polymer vp09

Less than $600 and can serve as both a range toy and a carry pistol.

quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
steel cz shadow,tactical

At $1200 or more: More than twice the cost of the VP9, and it's a range toy only.

That being said: I don't really need another carry piece, and that S2 sure is a nice range toy.

posted Hide Post

P-30SK LEM V1 is my latest answer to the question: What do I trust my life on carrying concealed, knowing I don't ever want to use it in anger. My 30Sks DA/Sa, ambi safety-decocker is #2 with my Apex/Shield a tie.
Here's more eye candy so I can assure you...I feel your pain!

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
VP9sk. You’ll scratch your VP9 itch and gain a nice carry gun. I have the P30sk and it’s an excellent pistol to shoot or carry. They aren’t expensive so you’ll have the moola for a holster, and some mags. My mag carriers that worked for my Glock magz work just fine with the P30/sk. Happy hunting.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The CZ Shadow 2 is worth every penny. Search around, they can be found for less than $1,200. But when you do find one, don’t dither, they sell out fast.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
how about a USP Expert.

It's the latest pistol that's grabbed my own attention and desire for something with a long barrel.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post