SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    **UPDATE**CZ Kadet 2 Conversion Kit arrived. Nice!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**UPDATE**CZ Kadet 2 Conversion Kit arrived. Nice! Login/Join 
posted
What a beautiful quality piece of Czech workmanship! Now I'm kicking myself for not having picked one up sooner. These only show up from time to time so grab one when you can. I can hardly wait to put it on the CZ75 and try it out. There are a couple of things worth noting. Interestingly the kit came with two slide stops. Is this something CZ normally does or was someone on 3rd shift at the Uhersky Brod factory feeling generous? Also, and just for the sake of curiosity, are the two mags supplied original Czech manufacture or are they made by Mecgar? IIRC, CZ has been using Mecgar in their pistols for some time now but correct me if I'm wrong on that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kaschi,

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Is one of the stops longer to fit the PCR frame thickness perhaps? I just use the original and it locks back okay. The mags are manufactured by CZ-USA I believe.
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz...ne-11601-p-1409.html

Yep, CZ makes a nice 22lr pistol. Congrats

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Kadet 1, if they had known there would be a later model. Wonder what the difference is.
It is a very good shooter, best feeding .22 magazines I have and reliable in operation since I filed the bevel on the ejector.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I have a Kadet 1, if they had known there would be a later model. Wonder what the difference is.
It is a very good shooter, best feeding .22 magazines I have and reliable in operation since I filed the bevel on the ejector.

The Kadet 2 conversion has been modified to work with the CZ-75B Omega trigger system.

As noted (above) it ships with 2 slide stops.
In the past, one would have to separately acquire a different slide stop from CZ if the Kadet adapter was used on a P-01 (for example) to ensure reliable operation due to the wider aluminum frame.

Not certain who makes the mags but found it interesting how they simply slipped a .22 mag inside a 9mm mag body.
For those who don't want the mag base hanging out when installed on a compact pistol, the 10 round mag base (ban era) will allow a flush fit.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
I really need to get one myself. Been on the list for quite awhile, and now that I have a Shadow 2, I think I'm going to convert my old SP01 into a full time Kadet. Let us know how yours performs!

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting a Kadet in bullseye matches for years. Very reliable, very accurate. Nearly 50k rounds through it so far. Clean the chamber, barrel ramp, and firing pin channel every 500 rounds or so, add oil to the slide rails, and you are good to go. It will run nearly any ammo but I shoot Norma Tac 22 nearly all the time now.

https://www.youtube.com/playli...20VyXTdz1glTxc2Stb5_

Have fun.
Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
I have an old kadet kit too....bought it
about 11 years ago from my LGS for $265!
I shoot it a lot and never had a problem!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kaschi--One other thing. You will need a 17# hammer spring in the host frame with the Kadet. If you have lower rated springs, you will get some missfires. A 15# will be OK for 90% ignition, but the Kadet won't fire reliably with a 13 or 14.

Mine are SAO, so not a problem to run the 17# spring all the time. Folks with DA/SA guns that run a 13 or 15 have problems with the Kadet.

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. I'm really anxious to run some rounds through it and will let you know how things work out. As for the slide stops and their differences: At first glance, both look alike. Upon closer examination the difference can be seen. Now to the hammer spring issue: I remember people mentioning this in other C75 Kadet posts but didn't pay close attention to it. Joe L: you got my full attention however! To be honest, I'm going to give it a try the way my pistol is set up now in the hope that there will be no problems. If no problems are encountered, that will make life easier when shooting either 22lr or 9mm ammo. Otherwise, I'll have to make the hammer spring change as you suggested. Where does a guy get those and how easy is the changeover to do? (I'm not a gun mechanic so hopefully it's an easy procedure). OK, one last question: IF the #17 hammer spring is installed, will the pistol still fire 9mm ammo with no problems? Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Kaschi--if you 75 frame is factory, it has the factory spring in it and it will run the Kadet just fine. Only if it has a low rated hammer spring that some people put in to reduce the double action pull will it misfire with the Kadet.

The hammer spring can be changed in a few minutes if needed. Just shoot it some and see how it does. If there are any problems, I can help you with it.

Joe

posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe! I appreciate it. Yep, mine is an original CZ75 so it should be good to go. I'll keep you posted but it might be a couple of weeks. The grass is growing like crazy here in PA and I've got several acres to take care of besides two jobs. I gotta try and keep ahead of the curve!

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
kashi, the stock hammer spring should be approximately 20 lbs.
I would not bother to replace it unless (as Joe stated) you have a need to reduce the DA pull.

Although somewhat dependent upon the specific model, when replacing the mainspring the curved portion at the bottom of the mag brake can become straightened making reassembly difficult, if not impossible, until it has been re-curved.
Some however, choose to not reinstall the mag brake when changing the mainspring.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From this morning. Nearly cleaned one. Gun is good, I'm recovering from back surgery. 25 yard, standing, single hand, old Kadet, old shooter.

Joe

posted Hide Post
Damn Joe, that's good shooting' there. I want you close by when when the chips are down!
@ Steve 22x: I'm hoping you're right and will keep you guys posted as soon as a my Kadet completes its backyard basic training.

posted Hide Post
Finally had a little peace and quiet to put the Kadet upper on my CZ75 Retro but it won't fit straight out of the box! After looking at the manual, it seems (if I understand correctly) that some filing(!) is in order before installation. Shoot, I wasn't expecting that. Should that be done by a gunsmith for safe measure?

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Finally had a little peace and quiet to put the Kadet upper on my CZ75 Retro but it won't fit straight out of the box! After looking at the manual, it seems (if I understand correctly) that some filing(!) is in order before installation. Shoot, I wasn't expecting that. Should that be done by a gunsmith for safe measure?

There should be instructions included on how to fit the conversion.
As far as required tools, an emery board should be sufficient for fitting.

Basically, try to slide the conversion unit into the frame rails.
If it fits, you are already done,

However, it is likely the conversion will not go on all the way.
The pads are deliberately made oversize so the conversion slide can be fitted to solidly mount onto the frame.
This allows the sights to remain fixed relative to the frame.

In that case, using the emery board, take a small stroke or two off the side of each pad on the conversion unit.
Try to refit.
Repeat as needed.
What one wants to achieve is a snug fit, requiring only a slight bit of pressure to install the conversion onto the frame.

Pages 24 and 25 of the linked pdf explain this with pictures
Kadet PDF

Regards, Steve

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know, I mentioned that in my last post about the instructions. Just don't want to overdo it with the filing and fudge it.

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I know, I mentioned that in my last post about the instructions. Just don't want to overdo it with the filing and fudge it.

It really is very simple to fit.
Just take your time and test the fit as you go along.

Regards, Steve

posted Hide Post
I was very lucky to be able to get a complete, dedicated Kadet pistol shortly before they discontinued it in favor of just supplying the conversion kit. I really like mine and as with all the other CZs I own, it makes me look like a better shooter than I am.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:

It really is very simple to fit.
Just take your time and test the fit as you go along.

I still have to tap the slide on gently (aka snug fit). use some oil to test fit. .001-.002 may be all you need, that's not much.

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post