SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magnetism on P320 FCU parts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnetism on P320 FCU parts Login/Join 
posted
I used an iPhone mechanical watch app and measured significant magnetism of 200+uT on the takedown lever and the takedown safety release lever.
Should I be concerned?
I was able to demagnetized to a background level of 50uT.

Posts: 62 | Registered: May 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I might care why?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A little too much time on our hands, have we? Big Grin Even if parts were magnetized, why would it matter? There is nothing to worry about if it functions properly.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
May I ask how you demagnetized it? I would think that would require some kind of laboratory equipment, not usually found in a household.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop it with this.
Right now.
Capiche ?

Big Grin

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Search for “demagnetizer,” and many results come up.
For small parts like the ones mentioned, possibly even the <$10 ones might work (if anyone else has the same concern besides the topic starter who evidently resolved his concerns).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a little demagnetizer which was designed for screw driver tips. It would work fine on these parts. Was cheap. But I can’t imagine caring till the OP tells us it’s affecting my accuracy or somethingSmile

posted Hide Post
I used a $13 Amazon watch demagnetizer. SIG needs to do a better job demagnetizing their small parts. There is no reason to spread magnetic contamination to unsuspecting SIG users.
Basic 101 in good machining practices. Clean up before u deliver ur product.

Also, I can no longer wear my Rolex watch to the target range. Lol.

Posts: 62 | Registered: May 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable

Posts: 419 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick0525:
There is no reason to spread magnetic contamination to unsuspecting SIG users.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fairly sure that the OP needs to check their meds.

Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
It's Trump's fault. He colludes with Russia and our M17s and M18s are primed to fail when the Commies throw a switch at the start of their invasion. Razz

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
magnetism of 200+uT

Apparently the WHO is interested in Electromagnetic fields and its effect.

HEALTH EFFECTS
For static magnetic fields, acute effects are only likely to occur when there is movement in the field, such as motion of a person or internal body movement, such as blood flow or heart beat. A person moving within a field above 2 T can experience sensations of vertigo and nausea, and sometimes a metallic taste in the mouth and perceptions of light flashes. Although only temporary, such effects may have a safety impact for workers executing delicate procedures (such as surgeons performing operations within MRI units).

Static magnetic fields exert forces on moving charges in the blood, such as ions, generating electrical fields and currents around the heart and major blood vessels that can slightly impede the flow of blood. Possible effects range from minor changes in heartbeat to an increase in the risk of abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia) that might be life-threatening (such as ventricular fibrillation). However, these types of acute effects are only likely within fields in excess of 8 T.

It is not possible to determine whether there are any long-term health consequences even from exposure in the millitesla range because, to date, there are no well-conducted epidemiological or long-term animal studies. Thus the carcinogenicity of static magnetic fields to humans is not at present classifiable (IARC, 2002).

Posts: 23376 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A person moving within a field above 2 T can experience sensations of vertigo and nausea, and sometimes a metallic taste in the mouth and perceptions of light flashes.

Possible effects range from minor changes in heartbeat to an increase in the risk of abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia) that might be life-threatening (such as ventricular fibrillation). However, these types of acute effects are only likely within fields in excess of 8 T.

Yes, but keep in mind that 2T or 8T are far greater than a few hundred μT.

1 Tesla (T) = 1 million Microteslas (μT)

So 2T is 10,000x higher than the measured 200 μT on the P320. And 8T is 40,000x higher.

quote:
It is not possible to determine whether there are any long-term health consequences even from exposure in the millitesla range

Even Milliteslas (mT) are much larger than Microteslas (μT). 1 mT = 1,000 μT. So the P320's magnetism would need to be 5x higher to even enter into the Millitesla range.

Keep in mind that many electronic devices and appliances emit a field that's several hundred or a few thousand Microteslas when in use. So you're getting 2x-10x as much exposure from something like running your vacuum cleaner than you would if handling that P320.

(Also note that using a cell phone, which constantly emits its own electromagnetic field, to try to measure nearby magnetism may not be the most accurate method... Wink )

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we're on to something here. I'm going to disassemble and test all of the powertrain components on my personal vehicle.

Lot of work, but I'd rather err on the side of caution, Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I mean, better safe than sorry, amiright?

Besides, if the car companies are spreading magnetic contamination to unsuspecting drivers, the world needs to know!

I recommend standing in the park with a large placard while haranguing passersby as the best method to get the word out.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
200+uT?
Pretty sure the monitors I'm starring at right now have a more powerful magnetic field... Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excellent Karma for the OP:
A magnet gun holder!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post