SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 Question by Newbie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 Question by Newbie Login/Join 
posted
Apologies for the newcomer question, but I haven't found the answer otherwise on the site. Most of the P238's on the Sig web site show a 2.7 inch barrel while others show a 3.0 inch barrel. Yet both claim the same 5.5 inch overall length. Why the different barrel lengths? How do they end up with the same overall length? Thx........... Bob R.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like all the barrels are the same across the different models. SIG consistently shows 2.7" (69mm). I wonder if the longer lengths you see on different sites are rounding or measuring from the front of the feed ramp to the end of the barrel.

It's dangerous looking at all the P238 variations. I have 3 already, but don't I need a P239 Emperor Scorpion to go with my 1911 with that finish? Or what about an Equinox to go with my P220 so finished?

The P238 is my favorite .380 to shoot, with the Browning 1911-380 running a close second.

P.S. -- Wouldn't you know there is a NIST paper on measuring barrel length:

3.2 Integral Chamber Barrels
3.2.1 When measuring the barrel of a firearm that has an integral
chamber, the distance parallel to the bore axis from the muzzle end
to the breechface (with the action closed) represents the length of a
barrel.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was looking here: https://www.sigsauer.com/store...n-micro-compact.html
and the main part of the page says barrel length is 3.0 inches. But after reading your post I read further below that using the scrolling specs, and it shows 2.7 inches (which is what I expected). Guess I'll just assume that the 3.0 inches in the main body of the page is a mis-print.

That Emperor Scorpion does look pretty sweet :-)

Am a little curious why you'd jump into multiple .380's and not pick up a 9mm in this gun (?)

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
Am a little curious why you'd jump into multiple .380's and not pick up a 9mm in this gun (?)

I can't speak for modbuilder, but my experience is that the P238 is very easy to shoot, with little felt recoil, whereas the P938 is more of a firecracker. In other words, I love shooting P238s, especially the all-steel HD model, but shooting P938s is no fun. YMMV, etc.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
Apologies for the newcomer question, but I haven't found the answer otherwise on the site. Most of the P238's on the Sig web site show a 2.7 inch barrel while others show a 3.0 inch barrel. Yet both claim the same 5.5 inch overall length. Why the different barrel lengths? How do they end up with the same overall length? Thx........... Bob R.

Are you sure the 3.0" barrel isn't for the P938?

I am pretty sure all the P238 barrels are the same length (2.7).. The P938 barrel is 3.0 inches..

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
I also thought that all P238's had 2.7 inch barrels and P938's had 3.0 inch barrels.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the P938's as well. In the smallest 9mm's, I favor the Glock 43 and Kahr PM9. I've never had any functional issues with my 938's.

My favorite P238 model for range work is the steel frame model (HD). The extra weight soaks up recoil--not that the alloy frames ones aren't very manageable.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P238 page I linked above shows a 3" barrel in the main body of the page, but in the horizontal scroll specs down lower in the page it reports a 2.7" barrel. I'm sure the 3.0" number is just an erroneous entry and am satisfied that all the .380's are the same 2.7" barrel. Thanks all...... R