SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    One man's logic begind the .357 SIG
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One man's logic begind the .357 SIG Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

1. Buy in bulk. Reload. It still is more expensive than 9mm, so yes.
2. Sounds more like a training issue.
3. All guns are loud unsuppressed. Moot point.
4. How many people will reach the max life of such a pistol?
5. Could be said of nearly any common pistol round.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it's a bad round and if you like it all the power to you. I still go back and forth on getting a 357 Sig barrel for 229C. Just my experience and opinion. As for being loud, it is significantly louder. We did our bi-annual training at the Sig Academy and as an instructor on the range all day the noise beat me up and required double ear protection. You probably won't be subjected to a large group of guys shooting all day on an indoor range. With ammo prices I go by the State bid and 357 Sig is the same as 45acp, significantly higher than 40S&W and 9mm.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up .357 SIG.

https://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/357-sig-ammo

And there are other sources at competitive prices...with the ammo in stock.

Yes, the .357 SIG has disadvantages just like all the other calibers. For me...it's the caliber the 9mm so much wants to be. YMMV.

Have a good day.

Posts: 13 | Location: Blue Ridge Mountains | Registered: May 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No one will dispute the effectiveness of the 357Sig caliber. The only detractor I found, like many other of its aficionados, is cost...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taidog1:
Look up .357 SIG.

https://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/357-sig-ammo

And there are other sources at competitive prices...with the ammo in stock.

The lowest cost on your link is $0.40 per round. 9mm can be had for $0.18 per round all day long with no difficulty. What am I missing here???

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a thing pessimist...you are correct to point out the $ differences. My mistake was defending the .357 SIG costs from my personal perception of "expensive."I didn't (don't) think 50 rounds of ammunition for $20 was expensive. YMMV and I understand that. Thank you for pointing that out. :-)

Posts: 13 | Location: Blue Ridge Mountains | Registered: May 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s expensive if that is the round you shoot matches with. I have zero heartburn with the round or you liking it for yourself. You are straight up nuts trying to say they are similar in price. Nope. Nope. Nope. And every year and fewer users that price differential will most likely widen.

24 bucks a box is more expensive than 38 special which is what is driving me back to reload for that caliber. 9? Cheap enough to buy factory.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester USA Forged 9mm $10 a box for 50. OK...I didn't know that...so you got me on the price comparisons. I spoke too soon. Roger that. Can we meet at the range...you shoot your 9mm ammo...I'll shoot mine...then go have a beer somewhere?

Have a good day.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Interesting that another 357 thread popped up so soon.

A few things-
ATK has informed the .gov that they are about to seriously retard 357 production and drop most of their offerings. The last major .gov agency that shoots a ton of it, are now dumping the caliber. Presumably, based upon that statement ATK offerings (Gold Dot, HST) will either cease or be done in extremely limited runs. That means those rounds will be extremely hard to get, if not impossible.

What does that mean? It means that if the demand is there, perhaps Winchester will pick up the slack. And there is always SIGs ammunition plant which is the most likely answer. Will the lack of supply drive up demand, and demand further drive up prices? Can’t answer on that. No rabbit, no magic hat, no crystal ball. But I think if you look at history, and look at 10mm supply and prices around 2002-2010, that is probably your most reasonable answer. The demand for 10mm in the last 7-8 years have risen, and more of it is in circulation and prices have softened.

From the aspect of training “issues” with the gun, I can tell you that right now the FAMS are turning out the best shooters overall that they ever have. But, none of their instructional staff will deny that the caliber is just harder to shoot. And shooting at lot of it will make you flinchy. So saying faster follow up shots is a training issue is true only if the training issue is working twice as hard to accomplish the same thing with other calibers.

Fun topic, though.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
For those who like to shoot .357 Sig, member GarandGuy is selling LEO trade-in Speer Lawman 50 round boxes for 12.99, over on the cheap- ammo thread. I bought two cases of Gold Dot from him last week. That is a great price.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...3106699/m/2940021244

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of handgun calibers that exist, but don't flourish. This is maybe the best description of 357 Sig. For many years I considered buying 357 barrels for my 40s. I never did, and in retrospect I'm glad I didn't spend the money.

The people who like 357 Sig will be there for a long time to buy brass and loaded ammo. Additional guns, too. Most likely the market for the caliber will show slight upticks here and there, but my bets are on a slow and sustained sales deterioration.

IMO the best use of a bottle neck pistol cartridge is in a longer barrel, where the bullet has more time to get up to speed. Like an SBR or a pistol carbine. But it probably won't happen in any great sales volume.

If I were a current manufacturer of 357 Sig ammo or components, I'd be thinning my herd ASAP. Furthermore, I'd have an exit plan in the wings.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I've always thought the .357 SIG was a particularly smooth feeding round. Just seems like it has the potential to enhance feeding reliability. It seems less snappy than .40 too.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to resurrect the .356 TSW, .38 supers and 9 x23’s.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Interesting that another 357 thread popped up so soon.

A few things-
ATK has informed the .gov that they are about to seriously retard 357 production and drop most of their offerings. The last major .gov agency that shoots a ton of it, are now dumping the caliber. Presumably, based upon that statement ATK offerings (Gold Dot, HST) will either cease or be done in extremely limited runs. That means those rounds will be extremely hard to get, if not impossible.

What does that mean? It means that if the demand is there, perhaps Winchester will pick up the slack. And there is always SIGs ammunition plant which is the most likely answer. Will the lack of supply drive up demand, and demand further drive up prices? Can’t answer on that. No rabbit, no magic hat, no crystal ball. But I think if you look at history, and look at 10mm supply and prices around 2002-2010, that is probably your most reasonable answer. The demand for 10mm in the last 7-8 years have risen, and more of it is in circulation and prices have softened.

From the aspect of training “issues” with the gun, I can tell you that right now the FAMS are turning out the best shooters overall that they ever have. But, none of their instructional staff will deny that the caliber is just harder to shoot. And shooting at lot of it will make you flinchy. So saying faster follow up shots is a training issue is true only if the training issue is working twice as hard to accomplish the same thing with other calibers.

Fun topic, though.

jlj...a very informative post. No doubt merit to what you said. Thanks for sharing this information, much obliged.

posted Hide Post
I like discussing gun stuff, but I never understood the point of "caliber" wars.

It is really easy to quantify the differences and advantages/disadvantages of the various calibers. What can't be done is assign a universal priority or weight to any given factor. If cost is very important that would steer you towards 9mm, if terminal performance is #1 then .45, .40 or .357 Sig. etc. There is no "better" or "right" answer. Sometimes it can be a simple as not wanting to stock another caliber or liking a gun that is only offered in certain chamberings and not others. Shoot what you like, it doesn't matter why you like it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Time to resurrect the... .38 supers ..

Still running strong around here. Sig, Glock, 2011, 1911 etc... all day long.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
.357sig is my #1 choice for carry. The only reason I carry a different caliber is when size considerations come into play. In the Florida summer a .380 is really convenient.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Time to resurrect the... .38 supers ..

Still running strong around here. Sig, Glock, 2011, 1911 etc... all day long.

On the factory NIB market, man, on the factory NIB market.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
357sig is quite possibly, the best self defense handgun caliber that you could carry. I carried it at work for 20 years, with many OIS. It's a stellar round. 357sig barrel for carry and 40 barrel for range. Cost is not a factor.

Posts: 636 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I reload It so it cost the same as 9 mm, I can shoot it until I'm tired of loading mags and not feel like it's ever going to break the bank.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerry, are they dumping the 229? I would imagine they are going to the Gen5 19,no?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post