SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Black Hill Honey badger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Hill Honey badger Login/Join 
posted
What do you think about the Black Hill Honey badger ammunition as defensive round?

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
It's my choice for my LCP II.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That's OK, I'll look it up. http://www.black-hills.com/pro...ategory/honeybadger/

I'm sure those will blow a huge hole in a block of ballistic jello. I don't know how they will actually perform in the target. But those pistol loads, especially the .40 S&W, with funky bullet shapes/contours and lighter and faster than standard loadings, look like a feed ramp hangup waiting to happen. I'd at least test them for function in your gun and magazines. (This concern doesn't apply to a revolver.) On the plus side, Black Hills is a quality manufacturer. You shouldn't have to worry about them going bang.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Black Hills isn’t the first to offer loads with those bullets. I don’t recall the name of the originator, but I wonder if BH did something like purchase the rights (assuming that was necessary) or if the other company will continue to offer their loads.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
It's my choice for my LCP II.

You sir, have a fantastic tag line.

Tom Gresham on Gun Talk gives high praise to the Black Hills Honey Badger line. I trust Tom so that’s good enough for me.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I know I know a good shoot is a good shoot etc.

That said I just don’t know that I would want to stand in front of a judge and explain my use of “honey badger” ammo.

I mean maybe if the local constabulary were all running “Honey Badger” ammo but other than that, at least for me personally, I feel like this is similar in optics to RIP/DRT/DIEMFR+p for example. Ok I made that last one up but you get the point. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Underwood loads it in most calibers with the claim that it offers similar performance to a hydrogen bomb.
I will wait to hear some real world examples before I buy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read some good reviews on this ammo, but have yet to find any to purchase and try. I am thinking it might just be a good load in a 380 auto gun.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said I just don’t know that I would want to stand in front of a judge and explain my use of “honey badger” ammo.

They won't care.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like "Black Talon's" they will probably change the name as to not offend anyone if it becomes popular.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
They look like Lehigh defense projectiles.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

They won't care.

Are you saying honey badger don't give a shit?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the many circumstances of a SD shooting, your entire social media history, gun selection, ammo selection, caliber selection etc ‘could’ all be brought to bear. Factors like the number of rounds fired, when, where etc would certainly be an issue.

So yes, the Marketing name of the ammo chosen certainly ‘could’ be an issue.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or it could passed off as "some company's stupid marketing ploy. I bought the ammo because it garnered a lot of positive reviews on its effectiveness at stopping a threat, not some infantile notion on (how) 'kewl' its labeling is."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monoblok,

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

They won't care.

Are you saying honey badger don't give a shit?

Honey Badger just don't care! Smile

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TN Mark:
Depending on the many circumstances of a SD shooting, your entire social media history, gun selection, ammo selection, caliber selection etc ‘could’ all be brought to bear. Factors like the number of rounds fired, when, where etc would certainly be an issue.

With that logic maybe there is a niche in some ammo named, "Unicorn Hugs"? What jury could find a person guilty defending his home 15 well placed "Unicorn Hugs" in a Mozambique errr...Diversity technique?

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These ARE Lehigh Defense projectiles. Lehigh has a small manufacturing facility a few blocks away from Black Hills to make the (non-catalog weight) FTM-EXD (fluid transfer monolithic-Extreme Defender) bullets for BHs. I’m a tiny bit jealous that the 100gr 9mm bullets are not commercially available, and currently load the 90gr version myself. They are the first true 100% Barrier Blind pistol bullet, and they do generate a fluid cutting mechanism at the very high velocities achievable. (I get my 90gr to 1450-1500 fps out of 4.3” bbl.)

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Wasnt there another spiral type bullet kind of like this? Ruger ARX? I’m seeing its discontinued now. Its not As inherently gimmicky as those ripd or bola rounds, and is interesting. But it’s going to take a lot more time and companies use of the bullet type for it to climb its way out of being lumped in with those other gimmicks.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMA10mm:
These ARE Lehigh Defense projectiles. Lehigh has a small manufacturing facility a few blocks away from Black Hills to make the (non-catalog weight) FTM-EXD (fluid transfer monolithic-Extreme Defender) bullets for BHs. I’m a tiny bit jealous that the 100gr 9mm bullets are not commercially available, and currently load the 90gr version myself. They are the first true 100% Barrier Blind pistol bullet, and they do generate a fluid cutting mechanism at the very high velocities achievable. (I get my 90gr to 1450-1500 fps out of 4.3” bbl.)

Are you sure thought Lehigh Defense Was in Quakertown Pennsylvania.

https://www.google.com/maps/pl...-75.3499349?hl=en-us

https://www.lehighdefense.com/

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
quote:
Originally posted by MMA10mm:

Are you sure thought Lehigh Defense Was in Quakertown Pennsylvania.

Lehigh Defense
2136 Dakota Craft Dr, Rapid City, SD 57701
(215) 536-4101

Black Hills Ammunition
1699 Sedivy Ln, Rapid City, SD 57703
(605) 348 5150

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post