SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is not your father's Glock

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Glock will see a bit of a "Ruger Renaissance" when Gaston goes to the great beyond?

Once old man Ruger died Ruger came out punching. Sure they have had recalls and missteps but they have done everything from CCW to evil black rifles to precision guns to everything in between.

I wonder if when Gaston goes if there will be a flood of new products/ideas.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Sweet. Hope to see this pistol in the 2018 line up for the U.S. I have a PX4 45. Rotating barrel works as advertised.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How's that gonna work with a suppressor?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Apparently said RFP doesn't include GSG9, SWAT, secret squirrel suppressed stuff.

I don't hold the negative opinion many do on rotating barrels as my Storm has been stellar. That being said I maintain it well and understand it's drawbacks as well. Which is why I am sort of shaking my head at this.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now this is what I would hope for from Glock. Innovation!

Though I really wish they'd just make a "dumb yankee" version that had a more conventional grip angle. Then I'd buy. Without hesitation.

Maybe it's the magazines, maybe it's just pride in being different, or original. Maybe I just wish I was born later so my first pistol would've been a Glock and I would be okay with breaking my wrists down to shoot.

Anyway, about time Glock got back to innovating. I hope it works out!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Fascinating subject. Reading up on the matter, from what I gather a rotating barrel accomplishes the same primary function a Browning-style tilt-lock does, but does it differently. First off, it's also a delayed-unlocking system. In the brief time before the barrel is tilting or rotating, chamber pressures have time to drop to safe levels, and the bullet has passed the soon-to-be-off-target muzzle.

However, the tilt-barrel goes completely off-line, whilst the rotater rotates but never stops pointing at the target (discounting recoil for the moment). In theory this would support more reproducible lock-up and greater accuracy; in practice, the precision lock-up of modern-manufacture weapons probably makes it a non-issue. (Does it? Here's where we start actual testing.)

Second, some felt recoil is diverted as torque. Whether this is a significant amount depends on the specific gun. It's also a question whether the "angular recoil" is problematic for the shooter; maybe it's an individual thing.

Third and finally, the design of the rotary action pistol accomodates a lower bore axis (an advantage not under-appreciated by Glock). The top cartridge coming off the magazine is already in line with the chamber, and no extra headroom is needed for a tilting barrel.

Interesting reading in any case!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No lower grip cutout in that picture, maybe glock will do away with it very soon due to all the complaints

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
There will be no Phase 3 malfunctions with the G46.

After having one with my Gen 2 19 a few months ago, so bad it necessitated having a friend hold the frame of the gun while I cleared the jam, I'm thinking this is a rather exciting development.

I'd be interested to see how one shoots. I was impressed with how my friend's PX4 shot, seemed to have a more linear recoil impulse.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff. Glock flexing their design ju-ju: it's about time. Also thought the 6" barreled 75B was pretty neat too.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the article does not clearly address what aspects of the German police technical and testing guidelines were previously an issue for Glock.
quote:
The question remains, why German police - with the exception of the GSG9 - have not introduced a Glock pistol in 35 years. The answer is in the Technical Guideline Police Police (TR), which do not fulfill all the details of Glock's pistols. ..... And if that were the case, a new Glock pistol would have to be available, which would have to differ significantly from the previous models.

Regardless, this quote does not bode well.
quote:
The question of the selling price was obsolete, since only the public sector is served, so that no suitable G46 variant is to be expected for sports guns in the foreseeable future.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slovakian company Grand Power also makes guns with rotating barrels. I have 3 of their guns, 2 in 9mm and one 10mm. The rotating barrel design does seem to mitigate recoil a bit. The two 9's have been great guns and the 10mm is fine now after have having to send it back for a mag drop issue. I don't know if we will ever see them or not, but I would be very interested in trying a G46.

Posts: 66 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is not your father's Glock

Too funny!
Interesting read,if this ever hits US soil,cardiac doctor's will see an influx of fanboy patients.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So it seems like they are doing this chasing a contract. Wonder what in said contract would dictate a rotating barrel?

Target customer is Bavaria as replacement for out of production P7. Which has notably low bore axis, which is a claim for rotating lockup.

quote:
The question of the selling price was obsolete, since only the public sector is served, so that no suitable G46 variant is to be expected for sports guns in the foreseeable future.

If they get the deal, Bavarian cops are a drop in the bucket of American enthusiasts and government agencies worshipping the latest and greatest from the Old World. Hang on til SHOT 2019.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the checklist for TR/ER "Pistolen" requirements if anyone wants to translate from German to identify which requirements Glock has not met in the past.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Beretta did this years ago, with the Cougar. I think their Eastern European subsidiary Stoeger still makes it. I've heard good things about it, but it never took off.

quote:
Originally posted by gcw16:
Slovakian company Grand Power also makes guns with rotating barrels. I have 3 of their guns, 2 in 9mm and one 10mm. The rotating barrel design does seem to mitigate recoil a bit. The two 9's have been great guns and the 10mm is fine now after have having to send it back for a mag drop issue. I don't know if we will ever see them or not, but I would be very interested in trying a G46.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buried somewhere in my safe with the rest of the sig collection oddballs is a Sig Mauser M2 which I think is rotating barrel. I'm pretty sure I bought that in 2004/5?.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was expecting someone to come along and let us in on the elaborate joke, but I guess this is legitimate.

I'd love the chance to fire a G46 side by side with a G19. Whether or not it is ever commercially marketed and offered in the United States, it's an inevitability that at least a few examples will make it to our shores.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
Here is the checklist for TR/ER "Pistolen" requirements if anyone wants to translate from German to identify which requirements Glock has not met in the past.

The list of already approved pistols can be found here.
https://www.beschussamt-ulm.de...t/index.php?lvl=2284

This new Glock will be a LEO only pistol specially made for upcoming pistol evaluations in Bavaria. If it succeeds it´s going to be a while until it´s available in public.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my question:

If this is the Glock 46, what are the 44 and 45? Does this imply these two models are on the road map somewhere? Or perhaps they're skipping them to avoid confusion, which I find doubtful because they didn't with the 22, 38, or 40.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post