SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Grand Power and Beretta aren't the only ones to previously use as rotating barrel. Who else remembers the Colt All-American?

Posts: 6 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: September 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Interesting, so a rotating barrel can potentially be more accurate, less recoil, lower bore axis. Couple these characteristics with a G19 sized 9mm, sounds very intriguing...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imjustadam:
Who else remembers the Colt All-American?
No one but you.

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Interesting, so a rotating barrel can potentially be more accurate, less recoil, lower bore axis. Couple these characteristics with a G19 sized 9mm, sounds very intriguing...
...and no suppressors.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...and no suppressors.

German police don't use suppressors, except possibly GSG9, which has acquired standard Glocks.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My point is that the pistol is actually a step backwards in at least that respect, because plenty of people and agencies do use suppressors.

This stuff about how this pistol won't be available to civilians? Yeah, that's bullshit. If there's money to be made and the pistol scores sufficient points for importation, Glock would flood the US market with these pistols, sell as many as they can make.

Adn then, not being functional with a suppressor becomes a factor.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
Never heard of anybody trying to take advantage of alleged potential accuracy. Target pistols are almost all tipping barrel designs.
There is a target version of the French PA15 but is it more accurate or is it just French?

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since it's a big PIA to get a suppressor would it be a large problem for a rotating barrel assemble firearm I would imagine that non threaded barrels outsell threaded by a large margin.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rotating barrel is only a problem if you want to use a suppressor ... or the Hearing Protection Act passes. Big Grin

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off-topic - but Lefty Sig nailed it ... "A G19 sized 9mm single stack - basically a 43 with 4" barrel and full grip with at least 8+1 capacity would be nice..." would sell like hotcakes IMO.

The G43 is nice but still just a little too small for my hands ... and the G19 is great but too wide. Oh, and add me to list of getting a G46 if and they become available here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they come to the US market I’ll buy one. I’m not a complete glock fanboy but I’ll admit I like them a lot. I think it’s kind of neat, the rotating barrel and all. I know I can’t use a suppressor with one but I can with all of my other glocks.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think I'd have to have one if they became available.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and no suppressors.

Nobody's perfect Wink

...and yes, I would get one if available in the U.S. market.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point is that the pistol is actually a step backwards in at least that respect, because plenty of people and agencies do use suppressors.

This stuff about how this pistol won't be available to civilians? Yeah, that's bullshit. If there's money to be made and the pistol scores sufficient points for importation, Glock would flood the US market with these pistols, sell as many as they can make.

Adn then, not being functional with a suppressor becomes a factor.

Only if they decided to scrap their entire product line for the rotating barrel design.

If you want to run a can or not you can carry on with a Gen 3, 4, or 5 in all manner of size and calibers.
This just adds one more option for the overwhelming majority that aren't shooting suppressed.

I like comped Glocks, but not being able to comp a G46 doesn't make it less interesting. If I want to run a comp on a Glock there's about a dozen other models I could buy instead.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
Not for nothing, this frame should have been the one used on the Gen5 gun!! Slight beavertail built in, no stupid half circle cutout on the bottom of the flat front strap.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Beretta did this years ago, with the Cougar. I think their Eastern European subsidiary Stoeger still makes it. I've heard good things about it, but it never took off.

quote:
Originally posted by gcw16:
Slovakian company Grand Power also makes guns with rotating barrels. I have 3 of their guns, 2 in 9mm and one 10mm. The rotating barrel design does seem to mitigate recoil a bit. The two 9's have been great guns and the 10mm is fine now after have having to send it back for a mag drop issue. I don't know if we will ever see them or not, but I would be very interested in trying a G46.

Stoeger is not a subsidiary of Beretta, nor are they a manufacturer. They are a U.S. based inmporter.

Many of the guns Stoeger imports are Turkish made versions of older Beretta designs. Beretta has sold off the tooling for some of their designs like Cougar and some of their shotguns to Turkish companies.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imjustadam:
Grand Power and Beretta aren't the only ones to previously use as rotating barrel. Who else remembers the Colt All-American?

The Steyr Hahn M1912. Nothing new under the sun.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
Stoeger is not a subsidiary of Beretta, nor are they a manufacturer. They are a U.S. based inmporter.

Stoeger is owned by Benelli, which is owned by Beretta Holdings.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt about improved accuracy. Decently engineered Browning type pistols lock the barrel at the muzzle as well. It will improve accuracy. This is not possible with a rotating barrel.
I would hesitate to bleive in less recoil as well. I own a Steyr 1912 of the Chile contact and I dont think it recoils less then a P210 or a pistol of the P220 series.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
quote:

I doubt about improved accuracy. Decently engineered Browning type pistols lock the barrel at the muzzle as well. It will improve accuracy. This is not possible with a rotating barrel.
I would hesitate to bleive in less recoil as well. I own a Steyr 1912 of the Chile contact and I dont think it recoils less then a P210 or a pistol of the P220 series.

I had a Beretta PX4, the reduction in recoil is noticeable, especially when compared against other pistols after a day a shooting.

However, it will never, ever fool you into thinking you are shooting a 22. It did have less recoil than my CZ, P226, and 92fs.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a .40 Beretta PX4 type C at one time.
I didn't notice he torque from the rotating barrel when shooting with a 2 handed grip, but I certainly did when I shot it with a one hand grip, especially the left hand.
I really liked the type C PX4. The metal to metal surfaces were like glass on glass they were so smooth. I'm not a DA/SA fan so the type C worked well for me.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post