SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Note the new end plate on the back of the slide.

A German LE source told me the new back plate allows the G46 to be decocked so it can be disassembled without pulling the trigger. Apparently disassembly without pulling the trigger is a German LE requirement. I wonder if the rotating barrel is necessary to make the "no trigger pull" disassembly work ?

The requirement to pull the trigger is also apparently why the Glock has been restricted to specialized units in German LE.

A related issue, the Barvarian police are finally looking to replace their P7's so maybe we will see some more PD trade P7's on the market.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As i understand the article,Glock wants to enter the german police market, and so they need to respect the technical guidlines, those guidelines for exemple specifies that the trigger must not be activated to disassemble the gun, this why the firing pin rearplate is bigger and is the way to disassemble the gun.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
The list of already approved pistols can be found here.
https://www.beschussamt-ulm.de...t/index.php?lvl=2284

The approved police pistol list includes Walther PPQ M3 and P3 models. The "3" model is described here. The differences in the M3/P3 compared to the M2 include: heavier trigger weight; no trigger pull required for takedown; inclusion of a transponder, and; a back plate with a striker condition indicator like the P99.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Interesting 'frankenstein' lugs on the barrel. Looks different from the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A related issue, the Barvarian police are finally looking to replace their P7's so maybe we will see some more PD trade P7's on the market.

Now theres a Teutonic striker fired pistol I can get excited about. I'd snap up more P7s in a heart beat.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t see any takedown leavers. Wonder how you disassemble it.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRJ1911:

The last post on Page 1 touches on that. Apparently the protruding plate on the rear of the slide is manipulated, which allows you to remove the striker assembly, which then allows you to remove the slide from the frame.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I missed that.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Here's my question:

If this is the Glock 46, what are the 44 and 45? Does this imply these two models are on the road map somewhere? Or perhaps they're skipping them to avoid confusion, which I find doubtful because they didn't with the 22, 38, or 40.

I am pretty certain the "Glock 44 and 45" you speak of are about to be released as "Single-stack Glock variants chambered in .44 Magnum and .45 Long Colt!"

That's my theory, any how.

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DRJ1911:

The last post on Page 1 touches on that. Apparently the protruding plate on the rear of the slide is manipulated, which allows you to remove the striker assembly, which then allows you to remove the slide from the frame.

That wont get you to getting the slide off the frame. if you look at the cutaway drawing, there is a takedown latch at the front of the barrel locking block, you can see it between the recoil spring assembly and the locking block. What I dont know is how one would release it.

Without getting that little plate out of the way, the camming lug on the barrel cannot move forward past the front of the locking block and the slide wont come off.

Again, the drawings do not reveal how it gets lowered.

Removing the striker just gets you out of the pulling the trigger to get the slide to go forward past the rear of the strikers travel.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
That wont get you to getting the slide off the frame. if you look at the cutaway drawing, there is a takedown latch at the front of the barrel locking block, you can see it between the recoil spring assembly and the locking block. What I dont know is how one would release it.

The cutaway drawing from the German article is the same as drawing #7 from an article on Recoilweb. The preceeding drawing #6 on Recoilweb (from U.S. patent 20170227313A1) shows a pistol clearly marked "46" but also having traditional Glock takedown levers.

Drawings #6 and #7 do not have a protruding back plate as is shown in the actual photos of the G46 and do not depict how the back plate attached to the striker assembly might function to disassemble the gun.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Here's my question:

If this is the Glock 46, what are the 44 and 45? Does this imply these two models are on the road map somewhere? Or perhaps they're skipping them to avoid confusion, which I find doubtful because they didn't with the 22, 38, or 40.

I am pretty certain the "Glock 44 and 45" you speak of are about to be released as "Single-stack Glock variants chambered in .44 Magnum and .45 Long Colt!"

That's my theory, any how.

The new bear defense Glock 44 and 45 pistols. To end all internet arguments, of 10 MM vs 44 mag revolver. A 9 shot 44 magnum single stack Glock. For bear defense. Think of the children.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
quote:
Originally posted by car541:

The cutaway drawing from the German article is the same as drawing #7 from an article on Recoilweb. The preceeding drawing #6 on Recoilweb (from U.S. patent 20170227313A1) shows a pistol clearly marked "46" but also having traditional Glock takedown levers.

Drawings #6 and #7 do not have a protruding back plate as is shown in the actual photos of the G46 and do not depict how the back plate attached to the striker assembly might function to disassemble the gun.

Cool. Thanks.

In the patent application drawing you linked, the text on the right side of the drawing exlpains that you need to pull the latch partially out of the gun to clear the camming lug and release the slide.

The partially withdrawn latch is shown on the drawing too as "6".

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Is Glock going to move to a Pedersen type design next?

I'm confused.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Sig was way ahead of Glock on this. Sig's Rotating barrel striker fired 45

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does say, "Not for the civilian market"

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
It does say, "Not for the civilian market"

They started out saying that about the 17/19M.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Sig was way ahead of Glock on this. Sig's Rotating barrel striker fired 45

Meh, this action’s provenance is about as old as the browning tilting breech. Styer M1912.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock's numbering system never made much sense to me.

G44 and G45 - possibly reserved for 40 S&W and .357 Sig versions of the 43? It would make sense, but perhaps any plans are on hold given the perceived move back to 9mm. The used gun case at my LGS is filled with .40's now.

A G19 sized 9mm single stack - basically a 43 with 4" barrel and full grip with at least 8+1 capacity would be nice...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
A G19 sized 9mm single stack - basically a 43 with 4" barrel and full grip with at least 8+1 capacity would be nice...

I would love to see that hit the market.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post