SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock going rogue - Rotating Barrel G46 Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
I searched and didn't see anything. Apparently for the German market, Glock is coming out with varients of their pistols that use a rotating barrel locking system (a la Beretta Cougar.) Will we ever see them here? Do they have any real advantage over the standard Browning action models? Who knows.

Link to German Gun mag. Flip to page 68.

https://drive.google.com/file/...N0IySFhxUlFEQ3c/view

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My German is weak.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm.... Cool, I guess. But why? What's the advantage?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wonder why they would do this? Rotating barrels need more maintenance and haven't seemed to have proved themselves on a large scale (LEO type issuance etc.).

I mean I have a PX4 that I love and works great but I keep it greased properly etc.

But hey anything treading into new water for Glock sounds good.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What's the advantage?

Yes. There is a thing or two I don’t like about Glocks, but it’s not their reliability or barrel lockup.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting - who woulda thought Glock would go off on this tangent! There's something different about the back of the slide too - can't tell for sure but it looks different ... Wait - if this is the Glock 46 - what about the 44 and 45??

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know suppression isn't everything but I imagine this wouldn't work with a can.

Otherwise I love wacky designs and own a still functioning after 100+years Steyr Hahn so hey if Glock wants to stray off the path more power to them.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What's the advantage?

Yes. There is a thing or two I don’t like about Glocks, but it’s not their reliability or barrel lockup.

Same.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Interesting beaver tail integrated there too

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 150 | Location: Southwestern NH | Registered: September 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
Very interesting - who woulda thought Glock would go off on this tangent! There's something different about the back of the slide too - can't tell for sure but it looks different ...

I believe the back plate is now an integral part of the striker assembly somehow. If so its interesting that they'd alter their very proven striker assembly. Literally translated in my not great German its just generically referred to as the Firing Pin Unit and referenced in the lower caption as the backplate. I haven't read the whole article yet so maybe they go into further detail.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't guns with rotating barrels supposed to have less felt recoil? I've never fired one, so I can't say from experience.

FWIW, I'm not interested in a rotating barrel Glock. I'd rather have the more proven lockup design.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard scuttlebutt that Glock didn't pass the German police trials so they needed to notify the design to make muster.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://www.dwj.de/magazin/top...pistole-glock46.html

Not a perfect translation. "glitter-branded"?

"Brand new pistol Glock 46
For decades, Glock has been using tried-and-tested pistol models, but the details of the various generations, such as the Glock 17 or Glock 19, are the hallmarks of the various generations. The engineers in Deutsch-Wagram now developed the Glock 46 with a new locking system.

While almost the entire professional world still holds the 5th generation of Glock 17 and Glock 19 for the great Glock novelty of the year 2017, we have seen the real novelty, the Glock 46, dismantled, assembled and shot with it. The fact that the manufacturer from Deutsch-Wagram is launching this model on the market does not mean that he is starting from his previous models to say goodbye. For this, these pistols are much too good and much too well introduced in soon 100 countries. These numerous well-known models now receive a company from their own company, which should ensure that additional markets can be developed, for example in Germany.

A clear statement by Glock CEO Dr. Stephan Dörler: "With our new G 46 with 9 mm × 19 revolving caliper, we do not carry out a paradigm shift and introduce the replacement of our previous models. The new G 46 is intended for authorities and supplements the consistently continued line of the Basispistole Glock 17. "

Glock has designed the G 46 to be able to participate in calls for tenders by the German police forces. For this, the first hurdle, the TR, the technical guideline for pistols in the caliber of 9 mm × 19 must be overcome. The second hurdle is the rules: ER, testing guidelines for the technical guideline. The author of both works is the Polizeitechnische Institut (PTI) of the German College of Police (DHPol) in Münster. The TR-ER test procedure is then carried out at the Beschmamtamt Ulm.

Like the glitter-branded Glock pistol, designed by Generalmajor aD, Dipl.-Ing. Friedrich Dechant, a Koryphäe of gun building, is built, locked and works, read in detail in DWJ 10/2017. The booklet will be published on 20 September."

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
"Glitter branded," lol. You're getting into German slang that doesn't translate easily. "Nagelneu" ("new as nails") means "brand new." "Funkelnagelneu"("new as shiny nails") means "brand spanking new." First word of that sentence ("wie") translates here as "how" rather than "like."

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So it seems like they are doing this chasing a contract. Wonder what in said contract would dictate a rotating barrel?

As for recoil mitigation, yes the rotating barrel absolutely helps but way more so in .40/.45. 9mm doesn't recoil enough ,IMO, to really benefit from this too much.

This is just such and odd turn of events to me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow. This is pretty exciting news.

The Browning lockup works, but there are better systems out there.

Good on Glock for trying something new.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There will be no Phase 3 malfunctions with the G46.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The back plate will apparently allow releasing the striker for takedown.

quote:
The safety condition in the TR margin number 2.2: A necessary relaxation to handle the gun (also dismantling and maintenance) must be possible without actuating the trigger, is fully achieved by unlocking the back cover plate. This cover plate with integrated ignition device is triggered automatically by means of tool-free twisting clockwise and pressed approximately 4mm out of the closure ("carriage"). Thus, the trailing striker is ineffective.

And the design of the rotating barrel ensures cartridges are fully supported.

quote:
The barrel has no weakening through a feed ramp in the cartridge bearing area. The cartridge sleeve is fully enclosed.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post