SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG Fastback Nightmare Carry: Is the barrel ramped or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Fastback Nightmare Carry: Is the barrel ramped or not? Login/Join 
Picture of Billy346
posted
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Nightmare Carry, but I want to know if the barrel is ramped (As opposed to the traditional not-ramped version). Can anyone here speak from experience?

.....I'm sure that makes sense.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Appears to be no. Barrel is beveled, ramp is part of the frame. BTW, they're sweet shooters.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the full size 1911 Nightmare 45acp and as Floyd D. Barber stated the frame is ramped and the barrel is the traditional no-ramped and beveled. FYI, mine loads all ammo I have tried flawlessly including hand loaded semi-wad cutters and is extremely accurate.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gundog55:
I have the full size 1911 Nightmare 45acp and as Floyd D. Barber stated the frame is ramped and the barrel is the traditional no-ramped and beveled. FYI, mine loads all ammo I have tried flawlessly including hand loaded semi-wad cutters and is extremely accurate.

I did a semi torture test on mine. 150 rounds at the range, set for two weeks, no cleaning. First one was more pure laziness. So net rangs trip 150 more rounds. One more week no cleaning, my laziness was becoming a test. Sot, 150 rounds. During this time no FTF, no stove pipes, no issues of any kind. Just reliable performance.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the term "ramped barrel" – please enlighten me. Perhaps that refers to the ramp above the chamber that forces the breech end of the barrel downwards in recoil?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I'm not familiar with the term "ramped barrel" – please enlighten me. Perhaps that refers to the ramp above the chamber that forces the breech end of the barrel downwards in recoil?

The CZ 75 line has a ramped barrel.

Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My full size version in .357 has a ramped barrel. I guess there is not enough room for a ramp with 45 ACP.

For those of you who have some experience, how does the Nightmare Carry do with hollow point ammo?

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
Interesting. My full size version in .357 has a ramped barrel. I guess there is not enough room for a ramp with 45 ACP.

For those of you who have some experience, how does the Nightmare Carry do with hollow point ammo?

I put two magazines of Hydra-Shok through mine. After about 8 magazines of target ammo. This was during my "test" discussed above. It is a sweet firearm.

Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have run Gold Dots through mine without issue as well as several brands of 230 grn ball fmj. Sweet, dependable shooter!

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess there is not enough room for a ramp with 45 ACP.

But there could be. For instance, STI uses ramped barrels much of the time in their 45AUTO 1911 pattern guns.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the original 1911 design, the feed ramp is in the frame, as in Floyd's pictures. On a ramped barrel, the ramp is part of the barrel itself and the frame has a channel machined in it to accommodate it. Not that I would recommend one to anybody, but Para-Ordnance uses such a ramped barrel.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

In the original 1911 design, the feed ramp is in the frame, as in Floyd's pictures. On a ramped barrel, the ramp is part of the barrel itself and the frame has a channel machined in it to accommodate it. Not that I would recommend one to anybody, but Para-Ordnance uses such a ramped barrel.

To me, as egorere described, a ramped barrel, is where the frame has been channeled/milled to eliminate the frame feed ramp, the ramped barrel takes the place of the frame feed ramp, making a continous path for the bullet to enter the chamber.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A ramped barrel is usually on a 1911 10mm pistol. The ramped barrel allows for a fully supported chamber. (Keeps the brass from deforming in very hot loads.)

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jhendri2
posted Hide Post

Here's an example of a ramped barrel for those asking

Posts: 190 | Location: Tipton, OK | Registered: December 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger SR1911 in 9mm also features a ramped barrel. As a result it's not possible to fit a 9mm barrel to a 45 caliber Ruger frame.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post