SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols? Login/Join 
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
The AIWB vs strong side carry debate of today is just like the 9mm vs .45ACP debate of yesterday. Most people finally realized that 9mm is a perfectly acceptable self defense caliber. Eventually most people will finally realize that AIWB is a perfectly acceptable mode of carry. It just takes some people longer than others.

Love it!!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my body, appendix allows me to conceal a full size pistol under a t-shirt. OWB/IWB means I need to downsize my handgun or upsize my clothing. If your requirement is simply to cover, as opposed to conceal, that is a different requirement, and more holster types work.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
For me it's the best way to completely conceal a carried pistol vs simply covering it (printing).

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I have settled upon spur-less-hammer revolvers for AIWB carry, though it was due more to the blocky, protruding rear portion of the Glock slide, preventing true deep concealment, on my skinny frame. Though safety was not the main reason, I will admit that being able to monitor the hammer, while reholstering, adds to my comfort level.

Yes, I did try many AIWB Glock holsters. The best, for concealment of a G19, on my body, is the George, with Extra Tuck, by JM Custom Kydex. Quality is second to none, of course, which is why my AIWB holster of choice for an SP101 is, of course, a George. I may order a George for my 3” GP100.

I have not ruled-out the future use of AIWB for a slimmer auto-pistol, with a less-protruding rear portion of the slide, especially if I can again trust a 1911 of less than full-Government length.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little factoid: GJM-AK, whose post is two spots above yours, is who the George is named after.

I cannot conceal Glocks in AIWB too. I would cary Glocks with Gadgets installed but I just can't conceal it. In my experience, Berettas, the 92 and PX4 series, conceal the best due to unique rear profile of a slide and forward-offset small profile sights. They work even better if combined with a D-style hammer. HK LEM guns, with their beveled slides and flush hammers, come second.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The advantage is that your front is more guarded from bumps into people/things. You also are more cognizant of your cover garment up front. People who need to put emphasis on concealment value this. I will say that I chose a LCP Custom over the LCP II because the SAO trigger heebied my jeebies.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
1. I agree it’s the most concealable form of carry. For a guy who is 6’6” and skinny i can legitimately get away with a t shirt and almost no concern of printing etc. IWB prints a legit factor of 10x comparatively. It helps that it’s right in front of you to always check and quickly fix if necessary.

2. I really like how my arms are also right near the pistol so I feel like I always have control. It’s also more accessible if on your back or driving

3. It takes a while to figure out what works, but once you do it’s very comfortable. People who say “how do you sit down” either don’t have the right body, haven’t tried it enough to figure it out. Or have never tried it and don’t know what they are talking about.

4. For me personally the newer AIWB designs with the wing work much better than the older ones with tuck. The tucks added too much bulge to the waist band for a skinny guy like me. The wings give you the same tuck of the pistol grip with out the bulge. I have two holsters I like now. One from JM custom kydex. Amazing service and great guy. And one from dark star gear. I had a leather 5 shot SME at one point and really liked that also.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying my first striker fired gun since 1997; S&W Shield. I've been carrying this in a Vedder IWB at 2 O'Clock.... Safety ON.. Yes I am sorta not comfortable with what is a SAO no safety fire arm pointed... There... haha... So for the winter months, I've asked as a Christmas gift, a Vedder OWB and I will carry safety OFF. Once the Spring or Summer gets under way, I'll go back to AIWB which I can pull off with a t-shirt with ease. BTW, it is definitely body shape that dictates being able to sit in comfort with AIWB. I have no problem with is.

The idea of a DAO revolver AIWB is really the way to go as is any DAO auto such as a Kahr Arms of a SIG P250.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, a thumb safety on a pistol that is used intermittently, will find itself on or off, when you expect the opposite, at the worst times. For this reason, I converted my USP pistols to LEM or V3, decock only.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really need to think about that. As I stated, the Shield is my first striker fired gun and my mode of carry since 1993 has been AIWB. Marrying this action without the safety into an IWB at 1:00 to 2:00 O'Clock is the issue. It's really the Re-holstering of a fire arm that poses the threat, not actually carrying it.

When I think about it, even carrying a DA Sig at re holstering can pose the same hazard because there is always the chance of forgetting to de cock it.

For winter tempts, I will enjoy the OWB Vedder safety off. Once Summer hits, I will think about safety off AIWB for consistency sake as you pointed out.

Posts: 1396 | Location: King of Prussia PA | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been carrying my first striker fired gun since 1997; S&W Shield.

Sure about that date? The Shield has only been around since about 2012, introduced at the NRA Show of that year.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AIWB has great attributes. I prefer a hammer gun for this style of carry. Basically you won’t survive a mistake with this form of carry so I stack my deck. YMMV.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
I've been carrying my first striker fired gun since 1997; S&W Shield.

Sure about that date? The Shield has only been around since about 2012, introduced at the NRA Show of that year.

Sorry. What I meant was; I just bought a new Shield and started carrying it. This is my first striker fired gun since 1997, when I briefly owned a Glock 27.

Haha.... I left out important words so it made little sense but serves as a great example of poor communication!

I bought the Shield in April, during the rebate. I couldn’t resist the price!

posted Hide Post
Rule #2: Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy...

The chance of a ND during presentation or re-holstering, and the consequences of said ND, are too serious to ignore. It's a tragedy looking for a moment's inattention. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
The AIWB vs strong side carry debate of today is just like the 9mm vs .45ACP debate of yesterday. Most people finally realized that 9mm is a perfectly acceptable self defense caliber. Eventually most people will finally realize that AIWB is a perfectly acceptable mode of carry. It just takes some people longer than others.
Agreed.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use a glock get the glock gadget and problem solved.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post