SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing: I lump IWB in with pocket carry, meaning no reholstering "in place." Remove the holster, replace the pistol, replace the holster. Not really manageable in classes, though, and you're supposed to train the way you carry. I pocket carry most of the time, but all the classes I've ever taken (granted, only a handful) have said "Strong-side OWB only." It's a dilemma.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I AIWB carry Walther PPS daily. It has a built
In gadget feature which I appreciate.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junk carry is for Ballers. I prefer my gun and my pistol to be separated by a little more distance, so I am not a Baller. More power to those that junk carry, do what works for you.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:

do what works for you.

And That is what it all comes down to.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying AIWB a lot lately. I have a P225/P6 though. I'd feel comfortable with a striker plus safety as well.

It is a higher risk though, no doubt. I wouldn't advise it for anyone who has not trained their draw stroke and re-holstering to the unconscious competence level (5-10k reps). If 5k reps sound unreasonably high...if you did 10 sets of 10 draws each weekday (10 mins), you'd be there in 10 weeks.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
I have knowledge of a number of incidents resulting in grievous injury, and at least one fatality, to shooters who carried AIWB or OWB in that zone. Without question, there are highly skilled practitioners of this style who's techniques and equipment choices mitigate the risks, for whatever benefits obtained. However, no matter the measures taken, the inescapable fact remains that the likely consequences of an ND are far greater than those experienced in strong-side or crossdraw carry. I can thus only accept AIWB with strong reservations and rigid conditions.

-Bruce

Superb post!

I have 4 AIWB holsters made by one of the "Guru's" of appendix carry that is a good friend of mine. Standing up they are comfortable and these holsters are designed to keep the muzzle pointed away from important junk. While sitting they are not as comfortable and as Bruce says the consequences of a ND would be "far greater".

Appendix carry does allow for the fastest draw due to it's shorter presentation path but I had to ask myself which was more likely to have an effect on my life: One, loosing a gunfight due to my draw being sub seconds slower due to holster postion or Two, potential fatal injury due to holster allowing a loaded gun to be pointed at my vital areas.

I can see where some will still choose AIWB for valid reasons but others should carefully consider some strong reservations and accept rigid conditions!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols?

Only if you don't have the proper holster.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I don't do it, that is why I have Sig's in DA/SA.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Firearms, carry modes, training levels etc. are all about personal risk / reward evaluation. To some, likely to be in harms way, high levels of training combined with high speed low drag gear and techniques are likely the best choice even though they have inherent risks associated with them.

For me, and only me personally, I am a hobbiest, who try’s to make good choices in life and who is FAR more likely to only handle firearms in an administrative manner or for pleasure. So I tend to weigh my personal risks around that more so than the need for the faster draw or big Gun concealability.

As I and others have said this is in no way a judgement of what others do. Once again you pays your money and you takes your chances. Me, I am low speed, high drag and aware of my personal risks and limitations.

Which is a long way to go to say.....I’d rather take a round upper torso because I was a second slower to draw then shoot my own dick off. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I wonder what percentage of the NDs happened during training vs everyday carry situations. Shame to shoot yourself trying to prevent that from happening.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Do people who carry that way ever sit down? I sure can't.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

It's one of the reasons I prefer it.
I can access it while belted in or sitting in a restaurant without excessive movement.
But my wardrobe is suited to it after 9 yrs.
I admit if I had a gut I'm not sure I could pull it off comfortably.

Then again Jeff Cooper said " carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable ".

I believe given the amazing choices we have today in pistols & holsters it can be both.
Though I don't think every carry style is doable (comfortably) for every body type & wardrobe.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Firearms, carry modes, training levels etc. are all about personal risk / reward evaluation. To some, likely to be in harms way, high levels of training combined with high speed low drag gear and techniques are likely the best choice even though they have inherent risks associated with them.

For me, and only me personally, I am a hobbiest, who try’s to make good choices in life and who is FAR more likely to only handle firearms in an administrative manner or for pleasure. So I tend to weigh my personal risks around that more so than the need for the faster draw or big Gun concealability.

As I and others have said this is in no way a judgement of what others do. Once again you pays your money and you takes your chances. Me, I am low speed, high drag and aware of my personal risks and limitations.

Which is a long way to go to say.....I’d rather take a round upper torso because I was a second slower to draw then shoot my own dick off. Big Grin

I lack any expertise to classify high speed low drag vs other speed and drag, hence the question. From prospective of a hobbyist, does an ability to draw a gun weak hand only factor in at all? I ask that because majority of IWB strong side carriers that I tested on this cannot do that. As in "cannot extract a gun from a holster at all". No IWB strong side carrier that I put on timer could do a weak hand only draw under 5 seconds, all while telegraphing they are trying to draw a gun. It is actually an entertaining activity, I loved laughing at myself when I did it with my IWB setups.

I presume that fighting off a gun grab, drawing from a sitting position, or when knocked on the ground are firmly in the mall ninja skills category so I won't ask about that.

quote:

Nope. We stay erect all day long. That's how you spot an appendix carrier. Also no driving, public transport only. No sitting down for dinner either. Only fittest of the fit can do it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YVK,

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
You do not re-holster by sticking the pistol into your IWB holster. Remove the holster, insert the pistol, re-affix the holster.
You obviously don't train, then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I carry appendix IWB and OWB straight drop at 1 O'clock. Just be careful when holstering the weapon keep clothing and finger out of the trigger area and you will be safe. Very easy to draw and easy to conceal plus you get the added ability to draw when in the truck. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
quote:

It's one of the reasons I prefer it.
I can access it while belted in or sitting in a restaurant without excessive movement.
But my wardrobe is suited to it after 9 yrs.
I admit if I had a gut I'm not sure I could pull it off comfortably.

I have a gut - bought, paid for and well maintained - and AIWB a G26. (I doubt I could carry a G19 like that, slide is longer, don't have a holster for it and don't have the need)
Easy to do with said gut if you use a holster that sets the gun low. And yes, I too sit down when driving, eating, etc. Wink

You can draw and reholster from AIWB **but** you have to do often enough with an empty gun to have trigger finger control tattooed on your brain in CAPITAL letters.
Reholstering is done slow, with eyes on. There sure as hell isn't a need to hurry back into a holster for me.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
"AOWB" rather than AIWB! Very interesting Smile Thanks for sharing that. Do you have any holster recommendations, please?

Tried a number of different AIWB holsters, including custom/high-end ones, but this old fogey just ain't built for it and/or haven't yet found a tolerable location on the clock. Have carried at one o'clock/1:30, but it was very dicey for being tolerable (although *comfort* would be nice, i will accept 'comfortingly' tolerable).

Mostly, am carrying an M11-A1 in a straight drop at 2:30/3 o'clock.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

I have a gut - bought, paid for and well maintained - and AIWB a G26. (I doubt I could carry a G19 like that, slide is longer, don't have a holster for it and don't have the need)
Easy to do with said gut if you use a holster that sets the gun low. And yes, I too sit down when driving, eating, etc. Wink

You can draw and reholster from AIWB **but** you have to do often enough with an empty gun to have trigger finger control tattooed on your brain in CAPITAL letters.
Reholstering is done slow, with eyes on. There sure as hell isn't a need to hurry back into a holster for me.

Sorry, don't know the Glock models. Have tried my P239 for AIWB, but the holsters have not been low. Have wanted to carry my M11-A1 as well, but that hasn't helped the situation.

Do you have any holster recommendations, please?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure they do. Very comfy. Razz

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
If I am carrying it is typically in a close fitting, strong side, OWB with a forward cant. Usually 3ish o’clock give or take a few minutes forward or back. Smile

So yes I could access it weak handed if need be. That being said it would look less John Woo and more Steve Martin but I digress.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post