SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appendix Carry...unsafe for striker fired pistols? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Easy to avoid this potential problem, don't buy those striker fired guns.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I have a gut - bought, paid for and well maintained - and AIWB a G26. (I doubt I could carry a G19 like that, slide is longer, don't have a holster for it and don't have the need)
Easy to do with said gut if you use a holster that sets the gun low. And yes, I too sit down when driving, eating, etc. Wink
You can draw and reholster from AIWB **but** you have to do often enough with an empty gun to have trigger finger control tattooed on your brain in CAPITAL letters.
Reholstering is done slow, with eyes on. There sure as hell isn't a need to hurry back into a holster for me.

Sorry, don't know the Glock models. Have tried my P239 for AIWB, but the holsters have not been low. Have wanted to carry my M11-A1 as well, but that hasn't helped the situation.
Do you have any holster recommendations, please?

Mine is similar to This One but is decades older...and I don't see a listing for a P239. The 239 is taller than a G26 (5.1" vs 4.17), length is about the same, (6.49 vs 6.6").

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
Easy to avoid this potential problem, don't buy those striker fired guns.

Or don't AIWB carry. Easy as cake. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I carry AIWB, including a striker-fired P320, with a rigid, trigger-covering holster. Yes, there is an increased risk of shooting yourself in a really bad spot. You've got to pay strict attention to Cooper's Rule Three. But the reward is increased accessibility in a greater variety of situations. I'll take the reward over the risk.

cas asked how you sit down with one. Provided it is in a slightly reclined position, not leaning forward, just fine. A holster with a single narrow clip will allow you to push the muzzle to one side if it pokes. Also, I'd set a maximum barrel length (for pistols) at four inches.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I don't find sitting while carrying AIWB to be an issue at all.

This must simply be a body type thing because I hear some people say they can't sit at all and it confuses the heck out of me why they can't.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
The trick I found for the IWB holster (for the one I have) for comfort was to run the leather strap to last snap this allows it to ride up while sitting. A simple push and it's back in place when standing again. Most likely not to work will clip style holsters. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

Mine is similar to This One but is decades older...and I don't see a listing for a P239. The 239 is taller than a G26 (5.1" vs 4.17), length is about the same, (6.49 vs 6.6").

Many thanks for the link.

Have a High Noon Holsters Public Secret holster for the M11-A1 that is similar.

Will keep an eye out, thanks again.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also one of those that have back issues.
AIWB pretty much clears them all.
I bought a stealthgear for my P938 with angled clips and I really like it.
You do need a lot of discipline though and I still get nervous about it sometimes.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
If I am carrying it is typically in a close fitting, strong side, OWB with a forward cant. Usually 3ish o’clock give or take a few minutes forward or back. Smile

So yes I could access it weak handed if need be. That being said it would look less John Woo and more Steve Martin but I digress.

Yep, I wrote "strong side IWB" when I mentioned the weak hand only. Those are usually muzzle-rearward rake and much closer to the body. 4-5 pm position murders weak handed draw for most people.

quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
I’m in the waffle column.
I purchased a raven VG2 for this purpose. But I found it better suited and more comfortable to run the VG2 at 3-4 o’clock IWB.

And yes, you MUST remove that holster to re-holster.

I have since moved away from AIWB, but I could move to it if the wardrobe asks for it.

VG2 and similar designs are murder weapons, of their users that is. There are not commonly used, AIWB NDs aren't that frequent, yet there is already one report of VG2 related ND. I got one for eval, and took it apart for spare parts. There are objective reasons why they are not good. They may be used as a niche but not a primary and only AIWB rig. Don't use it, please.

quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I don't find sitting while carrying AIWB to be an issue at all.

This must simply be a body type thing because I hear some people say they can't sit at all and it confuses the heck out of me why they can't.

No, it is not just a body type, it is a matter of patience and experimentation. I know people of all body types who carry AIWB. In this position, one inch change from lateral to medial and back sometimes makes a difference between intolerable pain and complete comfort. I have three pairs of pants with right front belt loop moved because of it. Same goes for gun size. 4 inch bbl is OK, 4.5 not. Once you figured out how to, it is usually nonissue. I drove from SLC to Phoenix in one day with a full sized all steel 1911 in AIWB one day.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
AIWB carry reminds me a lot of tattoos. The only people who are really offended by them are the ones who don't have them.

Self-solving problem though, no? It will not suffer a fool.

I carry AIWB, and I don't worry how other people do it. If I win the fight, I've got the rest of my life to re-holster that weapon.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does anyone know of anyone injured while carrying AIWB? Considering the use of modern kydex holsters, is this realistic?

Yes. Fatally. Fellow shot himself while preparing to leave his hotel room and bled out trying to drive to a hospital that was in sight of the hotel. This was investigated by our office last year or the year before, they start to run together.

Safety is a continuum. While I would not say it's unsafe, I would say it's less safe.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't appendix carry, but have considered it. While researching it, I came across this video. I thought I'd share it.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYVekHI7fzQ

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Appendix Carry argument is sorta a funny one.

I do not appendix carry. I don't think it is a good idea to point a muzzle at your junk or femoral arteries.

But, who cares? I mean really?

There are sporadic reports of people shooting themselves and it being real damn bad in Appendix carry. The same type people shoot themselves in every other mode of carry. It is just not as bad. There are as many reports of people doing so in other modes of carry.

Holstering? That is the least of my concerns. There is no race back to the holster. If you have these dream fantasy's of whipping your Roscoe Special out of an appendix rig with the light, compensator, RMR, iron sights mounted at a 45 just in case, light mounted on the light just in case, and then executing the perfect .75 draw at two yards on some random bad guy, and then jamming the gun back into the holster as soon as you are finished, you are a moron. It is not the fault of the holster or holster position. You see videos of people training that way all over youtube. Those people are absolute idiots.

The suave shooter, regardless of carry, is not going to race back to the holster and instead will take due care, looking at the holster if necessary.

There is NO RACE BACK TO THE HOLSTER.

The rest of the argument is academic because there just isn't enough data of bad things happening to support it, unlike the SERPA holster fiasco.

At worst, something happens, unless the round bounces off of the pavement after it neuters you and hit me in the chin, or if I have to take the report on it, who cares?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This carry doesn't "'muzzle' your 'junk'" standing upright. If you lean forward significantly, crouch or sit, it does. Also, I know I keep saying this and it's nitpicking, but "striker fired" has nothing to do with the trigger action. It just so happens that most such pistols have short stroke, semi-DAO triggers.

The above is worth every penny you paid for it.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is NO RACE BACK TO THE HOLSTER.

Indeed. But I've got more issues with AIWB than holstering. Namely, a loaded gun is pointed at a very critical part of your body. Yes, I know it's secured and safe, but it still bothers me. I would never look down the barrel of a gun in this condition (loaded round in the chamber) so why would I be okay with it pointed at my boys.

That said, AIWB can work with a holster designed to keep the muzzle away from your body. There are several around that offer a wedge and/or other methods to do that. I carry my G43 at 2 o clock, but it is in an IWB kydex holster with a good amount of cant and it rides high enough to keep the muzzle away even when sitting. I've yet to take this gun out of the holster let alone re-holster while it's on my belt. It's comfortable and I feel it safe given that any carry method brings some degree of concern.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll say it again (and pile on to statements made by bionic and Jerry), do not rush back into the holster!

At my LE firearms instructor course they always said "reluctantly re-holster." This is only after being sure you've stopped the threat and after a good scan and your sure you don't need a gun in your hand anymore.

Like any admin function; clearing, chamber checking (if you do it,) re-holstering needs to be done deliberately and mindfully. I cringe whenever I see competition shooters mindlessly clearing their pistol after a stage, catching the cartridge in the air, doing it super fast etc. It only takes a second more to do it mindfully. I've seen an ND (right next to me, in Baghdad) by someone who wanted to catch the flipped round while clearing.

Under stress, with your conscious resources overwhelmed, is when the bad habits of fast clearing or re-holstering are going to rear their ugly head...at the absolute worse time.

I draw in a hurry, shoot in a hurry (provided I'm getting the hits I need), scan deliberately, holster reluctantly, and clear or chamber check deliberately.

Due to this thread I checked the muzzle and AIWB position again. For me, standing (drawing/re-holstering), the muzzle is either not pointed at anything, or it would be a graze. I lean back a tad and move my pelvis forward a tad when drawing and holstering, helps clear the muzzle, helps get a grip. This is with a P225 and a T-Rex Arms "Sidecar" holster copy that I made with a foam wedge on the back. Other holsters will certainly vary in the muzzle position.

It is less margin for error either way that is for sure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
This carry doesn't "'muzzle' your 'junk'" standing upright.

I have good news. The radio has been advertising various pills and potions to help you with your issue. The first step in getting help is admitting there is a problem. Wink

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Why in a hurry to holster? If there are no longer any threats, reluctantly holster your weapon but look at your holster while you do it. If you need to keep looking around you then it isn't the proper time to holster.

Now my Raven Vanguard 2 IWB holster, I do need to take off my belt to reholster.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Speaking of looking while you re-holster, it is easier when the holster is right in front of you and not further back on your hip.

Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
The AIWB vs strong side carry debate of today is just like the 9mm vs .45ACP debate of yesterday. Most people finally realized that 9mm is a perfectly acceptable self defense caliber. Eventually most people will finally realize that AIWB is a perfectly acceptable mode of carry. It just takes some people longer than others.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post