SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Browning High Power Clone from Brownells....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Browning High Power Clone from Brownells.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at a FN model 88 H/P for like 799 , with box looks new ,but its a older gun . I might jump on it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Imshootin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I am 6'3 and have large hands. I had a BHP Mark III forged frame 9mm which I sold after I bought a CZ 75B SA as I find it superior to the Hipower for me (better ergonomics, better trigger, better feel, etc.) and the hipower trigger reach is way too short for me, I find the grip to be boxy, and the triggers aren't great on them either. For a range toy I'd much rather have a 1911 government 9mm over a BHP I still have a FN labeled .40 Caliber BHP I bought new, it is my only .40 and I really like shooting that one and kept it when I sold the 9mm. For someone with smaller hands, I can see a worked over (mainly the trigger) BHP, a great gun. However, I always wanted one in stainless which they never produced.

I've had five Hi-Powers over the years. I've sold all of them off but this one. Not stainless but factory hard chrome (Browning calls it silver chrome). Factory stock except for the Spegel grips and a set of HP Practical sights. Didn't care for the gaudy adjustable sights. I think it's got about 300 rounds through it.

I wish I had the others still. At today's prices I could make a few dollars.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Imshootin,

Dance like no one is watching.

Posts: 117 | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely dig my new to me BHP from 1989. I added Novak night sights. It has a ring hammer, an amazing trigger job, and the mad disconnect long-since removed.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
My resolve cracked, I have back ordered a stainless.

We will see how long it takes to ship.

Replacing the pins and firing pin spring are well within my capabilities. This just might be a fun little project.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I must say.. they both look tempting.

I would want to put hands on them first and check 'em over.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, the Yooper Gouger Mountain had a batch of BHPs that came in from overseas. They looked like crap and they wanted 400+ bucks for them. I did not even think about buying one.
I should have. I could have a nice custom BHP now.
Hindsight is great, isnt it?
Hope to see some SF range reports on the Turkish BHP before I jump.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ If those were from Israel, they apparently had fourteen shades of snot beaten out of them before they ever reached our shores.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were Israeli. And they did not have magazines!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Here's my 1973 Belgian Hi-Power Sport model. Internally the pistol is as new. Externally it suffers from some corrosion - possibly from improper storage in a 1970's era black leather Browning pouch. I rescued this one from an LGS for ~$100 more than an Israeli surplus.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I must say.. they both look tempting.

I would want to put hands on them first and check 'em over.

Had an email with tracking info from Brownells. It seems my stainless will be delivered to my local FFL on Monday.

Today all of the pins, and firing pin springs, ordered from MGW came in the mail.

Looks like the project will start real soon. I will try to do a range report before and after the pins are upgraded.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
They were Israeli. And they did not have magazines!

Gouger in Novi had the same ones. I looked at the "best" one they had. I left it there.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
The genius of the weapon lies in the hands of the original maker. Any true innovation will come from them, or bear annother's name.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bare bones:
The genius of the weapon lies in the hands of the original maker. Any true innovation will come from them, or bear annother's name.

Well, JMB gets a lot of credit from people for the invention of the BHP. Saive from FN really finished the design and changed it drastically from JMB's which was striker fired (the first striker fired pistol design) and in my opinion screwed it up by adding the magazine disconnect safety. Saive did invent the first double stack magazine and it was for the hipower.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saive did invent the first double stack magazine and it was for the hipower.

Um, actually the 1907 Savage used a double stacked 10-round magazine, albeit 32 ACP.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

Um, actually the 1907 Savage used a double stacked 10-round magazine, albeit 32 ACP.

1n 1903 James Paris Lee, as in N01, Mk1 Short Magazine Lee Enfield rifle invented the 10 rd, double column detachable box magazine.

Yeah-- it was for a rifle, not a pistol. However, the invention of the detachable box mag is just one of J.P. Lee's many contributions to firearms evolution.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

I guess you're right. The article I read mentioned that, perhaps they meant pistol magazine?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Well, I took delivery of my Hi Power clone from Brownells the beginning of the week. It seems to be well made and nicely finished. I have not yet tried to measure the trigger pull, but it feels 6 lb or maybe 6.5 lb. I will replace the firing pin spring and many of the pins. I will also install an ambi safety and new grips as well.

Below are a few pics. Too bad FN/Browning did not make a stainless gun like this clone.

RioGrande481

C.J. Supercut 1976

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sharp edges. Lots of them. Have these people ever heard of a polishing wheel? Does this pistol come with a box of band-aids?

My advice? You want a High Power? Go to Gunbroker and start looking for the real thing. Browning began importing High Powers in late 1954. If you really want a High Power, you can find one on Gunbroker. it would be a different matter if BHPs were rare, but they most certainly are not.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post