SIGforum
New Browning High Power Clone from Brownells....

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6530007354

February 20, 2019, 05:20 PM
djpaintles
New Browning High Power Clone from Brownells....
I just saw this in an Email I got from Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/fire...a2IxSEtmazcifQ%3D%3D

Looks like a pretty nice High Power clone from Turkey. In the Brownells video they said their threaded barrels and other High Power parts interchanged and the were available in Blued or Stainless $500-550.

As High Powers are getting a little scarcer one of these might be a decent shooter.

Thoughts or Comments?

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
February 20, 2019, 05:24 PM
Dang. Those like nice.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.
February 20, 2019, 05:34 PM
jackimoe
There was something negative posted here about them a while back. May have been issues with the extractor? Maybe it was a proprietary desigh?
February 20, 2019, 05:41 PM
am94pm
Handled one a couple weeks ago at a LGS. The fit and finish seem to be pretty good.
February 20, 2019, 05:42 PM
hjs157
Check out this link for an excellent review of the Tisas Regent BR9. I owned one and judged it to be a solid value Hi-Power clone.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/...gent-br9-hp-hi-power
February 20, 2019, 07:38 PM
Cousin Vinnie
I want one!
February 20, 2019, 07:41 PM
parabellum
There's like, 60 years of imported BHPs on the secondary market. I'll take the genuine article, thank you.

February 20, 2019, 08:46 PM
jimmy123x
I agree with para that I'd rather have the real deal BHP. BUT, the stainless version intrigues me and I wonder why FN never made a stainless version of the BHP.
February 20, 2019, 10:01 PM
kaschi
I had always wished for a Belgian made stainless steel High Power too.
February 21, 2019, 03:14 PM
djpaintles
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Check out this link for an excellent review of the Tisas Regent BR9. I owned one and judged it to be a solid value Hi-Power clone.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/...gent-br9-hp-hi-power

That was as good of a review as I have ever seen. VERY detailed and authoritative along with suggestions for improvements. Thanks!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
February 21, 2019, 05:55 PM
jackimoe
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=970390

I didn't read through all of it but I think this was it.

Para or mods, I'm not sure if it's considered bad form to post a link to another forum. I'll certainly delete if need be.
February 22, 2019, 06:49 PM
SgtGold
Here's another review. The fact that gunsmiths who worked on the original BHP will work on the Turkish gun us a good sign.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...br9-hi-power-pistol/

February 22, 2019, 07:44 PM
JoshNC
Hmmm. Made in Turkey. Pass....

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
February 23, 2019, 07:10 PM
Scooter123
Think again on that note, Turkey is and can produce some high quality firearms. I have a 20 gage CZ USA shotgun that was made in Turkey and can't quibble about anything about it, especially since I picked it up at Cabelas for only 500 bucks. I will also note that the wood is much much prettier than that on my Beretta Silver Pidgeon 12 gage.

I've stopped counting.
February 23, 2019, 07:17 PM
arcwelder
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Hmmm. Made in Turkey. Pass....

This alone isn't a disqualifier. What Para said is more prudent.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

February 23, 2019, 07:26 PM
x0225095
Hmmmm....$500-$550 for a pistol with a 12# trigger pull.

Not bad, not bad at all.

0:01
February 24, 2019, 06:38 AM
dogmush
I have to agree with Para on this one. I have two FN Hi-powers, both were bought surplus for less than that clone is new. True they are used, but neither is used up.

A quick scan through Gunbroker before this post shows good condition FN or Browning made Hi Powers can be had in the $550-$650 range on a buy it now pretty easily. Sure some are $1200 and up, but plenty are pretty close to the clonee's price. For that price delta, I can't see not getting the real one.

Additionally, while Turkey can and does make some fine firearms, sometimes politics has to intrude; and Turkey is a country I'd rather not give money to these days. YMMV of course.

A Hi-Power is a really nice 9mm, and I encourage fans of 9mm autopistols to have one in their collection. The design still holds up really well, and they tend to shoot very easily.
February 24, 2019, 07:09 AM
Blume9mm
One day I will get one... probably near the end... I've wanted one since about 1973 or so after reading the book 'Serpico'.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
February 24, 2019, 09:07 AM
Bulldog7972
ha,ha, me too.
February 24, 2019, 10:39 AM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
I have to agree with Para on this one. I have two FN Hi-powers, both were bought surplus for less than that clone is new. True they are used, but neither is used up.

A quick scan through Gunbroker before this post shows good condition FN or Browning made Hi Powers can be had in the $550-$650 range on a buy it now pretty easily. Sure some are $1200 and up, but plenty are pretty close to the clonee's price. For that price delta, I can't see not getting the real one.

Additionally, while Turkey can and does make some fine firearms, sometimes politics has to intrude; and Turkey is a country I'd rather not give money to these days. YMMV of course.

A Hi-Power is a really nice 9mm, and I encourage fans of 9mm autopistols to have one in their collection. The design still holds up really well, and they tend to shoot very easily.

I am 6'3 and have large hands. I had a BHP Mark III forged frame 9mm which I sold after I bought a CZ 75B SA as I find it superior to the Hipower for me (better ergonomics, better trigger, better feel, etc.) and the hipower trigger reach is way too short for me, I find the grip to be boxy, and the triggers aren't great on them either. For a range toy I'd much rather have a 1911 government 9mm over a BHP I still have a FN labeled .40 Caliber BHP I bought new, it is my only .40 and I really like shooting that one and kept it when I sold the 9mm. For someone with smaller hands, I can see a worked over (mainly the trigger) BHP, a great gun. However, I always wanted one in stainless which they never produced.