SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol Recommendations for 15yo petite girl pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol Recommendations for 15yo petite girl pistol Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lisa Farrell, a competition shooter in the San Luis Obispo area, spent a couple of days some years ago teaching my wife to shoot. Lisa used a .22 Buckmark with a Tac-Sol barrel (IIRC), a muzzle brake, and a red dot sight. My wife thought it was like cheating, but did very well.
OTOH your daughter seems more eager to shoot, so probably doesn’t need that super-soft-shooting .22. It was very accurate and looked very cool, though.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want a Sig and you want to start with a 9, then I say 225a1. It’s not a lot thinner than a 228 but enough that my little girl hands notice.

I would start her with a 22 however. Specifically a Beretta 87. Looks like a “real” gun, shots like one, operates like one, takes down like one. Great gun.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am leaning towards recommending a .22LR semi auto. There are some with pink grips and such and that can be her first gun. I would have her hold them and let her pick which one feels best to her. She can always shoot your centerfire guns when she is ready and comfortable and at that time, might want a black or stainless one of her own. I find that .22 is best for practicing trigger control and precision shooting for newbie shooters.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 14yo daughter likes my HK VP9. I told her it’s hers when she turns 21.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
M&P EZ .380 ...if you get a good one its quite fun to shoot. My 12 year old son loves it.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Glock 48 is a great choice.

If your staying with Sig, the 225A is a great 9mm also.

If you are good with .380 ill put in another vote for the Shield EZ

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:

Stay away from anything .......... DA/SA, ..........

Please explain your reasoning.

Sure -- BLUF: Decocking is a pain.

Longer version: Shooting is something like 100 discrete actions put together. Kinesthetically speaking, it's actually a really hard activity and it's a lot for the brain to handle all at once. Rub your tummy and pat your head ain't got nothing on grip, front sight, trigger pull, and follow through.

DA/SA is one more variable I can eliminate. Trying to explain, "Well there are two trigger pulls, one for the first shot, the follow up ones are lighter, but yes, you can start with the light one but you really shouldn't because some German/Swiss guy said that's not the proper way." New shooters always forget to decock. And trying to teach two trigger pulls in one gun is downright overwhelming.

There's a reason DA/SA is dying and training is that reason. It takes less effort to train someone to shoot proficiently with a Glock, M&P, or P320.

I learned on a single action or striker .22. So did most of the members on here. Mark IIs, Buckmarks, and the like are really popular for a reason. They work well, they're easy to explain, and inexpensive.

Once a shooter is comfortable, I like to get them shooting heavy 9mm guns. My current range gun is a Glock 34 MOS with a Surefire X300U on the front. Recoil is negligible and almost anyone can shoot it well -- even half-blind, uncoordinated people like myself Big Grin

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
A G48 is a nice choice for smaller hands. Cerakote it pink.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laity1:
Revolver not out of the question.

How are the Charter Arms revolvers holding up? Maybe a 22lr or 38 spl. (53840 Charter Arms Lavender Lady 38 spl 5 shot).

Posts: 3508 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the new hammer fired XDe. Easy slide to manage and great controls and features make it excellent gun for new shooters. XD quality is excellent.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
If you really want a Sig and you want to start with a 9, then I say 225a1. It’s not a lot thinner than a 228 but enough that my little girl hands notice.

I would start her with a 22 however. Specifically a Beretta 87. Looks like a “real” gun, shots like one, operates like one, takes down like one. Great gun.

Those would be my recommendations as well.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
When I am teaching someone new I always start with a revolver and at first we load one round at a time with 5 empty chambers and they shoot all six. Autos did not come until they had done a lot of dry fire and talked safety and many other aspects of shooting.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is the Sig forum, wait for the X-Compact. Rent the .22 for to teach the fundamentals with, but buy the 9mm. As she matures, she can take the X-Compact and grow it up to the X-Carry size or even X-Five size.

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
When I am teaching someone new I always start with a .22 revolver and at first we load one round at a time with 5 empty chambers and they shoot all six. Autos did not come until they had done a lot of dry fire and talked safety and many other aspects of shooting.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
How about a Ruger MARK IV 22/45 LITE with a pink top.

https://ruger.com/products/mar...pecSheets/43915.html

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
whatever she might pick, Hogue offers Pink grips, model specific. Rubber to G10 If you see anything that may fit the bill, let me know.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Ken, those full size G10 1911 grips look great. Have you all ever considered doing a thin version?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Again, the S&W 380EZ is made for these circumstances.

quote:
Originally posted by WPeeler:
Another vote for the S & W 380EZ. It will be far easier to operate and shoot than a small gun.

Yep. Designed specifically for less experienced and smaller-statured shooters. It's a great choice for a first "real" (non-.22) handgun. I call them "granny guns", because they're ideal options for Grandma to keep around for self defense, but they're equally ideal for a petite 15 year old. Simple. Easy to load. Easy to rack the slide. Low felt recoil. Not too big, and not too small.

The (now discontinued) Sig P250 .380 Compact is a similar option. The plus side is that it has a higher magazine capacity than the 380 EZ. But the downsides are that the overly long DA trigger pull may be tougher for her to master than the S&W 380 EZ's trigger, plus its discontinued so it may be tough to find a nice used P250 .380 and some spare magazines.

Otherwise, any of the various medium-sized striker-fired 9mm handguns (G19 or similar) is a good beginner pistol. Slightly more felt recoil than the above .380s, but more effective too.

Just don't get her a subcompact pocket pistol, like a LC380 or a J frame. Tiny little pocket guns are harder for even experienced shooters to shoot well, they have more felt recoil than a medium- or large-sized handgun, the recoil springs on subcompact semiautos are necessarily stiffer so the slides are harder to rack, and their magazine capacity is limited. They're terrible choices for newer or weaker shooters. But counter-intuitively, those tend to be the guns that are offered in pink "for the ladies". Roll Eyes

If she really can't live without a pink gun, get her something like a 380 EZ or G19 and send it off to have it coated pink.

quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:
Locked breech .380's are softer shooting than 9mm

That part is true. But the medium-sized S&W 380 EZ or Sig P250 .380 Compact are both locked breech .380s, and are better options than the smaller subcompact LC380 for the above-stated reasons.

I like Rogue's advice. Very sound.

I mean no disrespect, but there's no way I would get her a 2" snubbie J-Frame. Poor sights, low capacity, heavy trigger, and even heavier recoil. Over the years, I've had dozens of women come through my CCW courses with J-Frames, only to dump them as fast as humanly possible after shooting more user-friendly semi-autos (better sights, less recoil, higher capacity).

My daughter is 19 and specifically wants a revolver because she likes my wife's 66-1. I told her that a smaller revolver would in no way mirror the pleasant experience of shooting the 66. She's insistent, so I'll be getting her an SP-101 with 3" barrel, not a J-Frame snubbie.

I may try to talk to her about the S&W 390 EZ after reading Rogue's post.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Ken, those full size G10 1911 grips look great. Have you all ever considered doing a thin version?

Considered it and we are offering.
Though not in all colors/materials
Check out Thin G10 1911's here

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR-22. It has the same form as any other defensive gun (no bulky target .22) with very little recoil so she can learn good habits from the get go. It's cheap to shoot and comes in pink.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post