SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rusty Sherrick Holsters- anyone have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rusty Sherrick Holsters- anyone have one? Login/Join 
posted
I was hoping someone on the board has a Rusty Sherrick holster? Hopefully his US high ride... I'm
Looking for opinions on the holster? Good and bad?

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I had that exact holster a few years ago, it was for my PM9. The quality was good, the finishing was just okay, I understand horse hide is harder to bone, so my expectations may had been unrealistic. I sold it because it had too much flop. I know having the gun mostly above the belt line is fighting physics, but I thought it would be more stable than it was. But Rusty was great to work with.

I found the same style holster in kydex from Fist holsters and never looked back. I have the same holster for my PPS with a slight rake and it works just as well. I am not a kydex guy, but the hard Kydex material has a curve to fit your body, that curve acts like an arch, and doesn't allow the holster to flop. The only give is whatever is in your belt.

Hope that helps.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I have his SIS holster and double mag pouch for my 1911. I used it as a plainclothes setup before I left that unit. Loved it!!! It's much more rigid than any other leather holster I've ever had. It took the abuse too. It's got asphalt and wall scrapes, etc. The black dye seems to have worn faster, but only in color - in no way was the leather compromised. It actually made it look better around the high wear edges. It took a few months to get when I ordered it, but no regrets at all - quality gear.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love them. I've had several, mostly gone because I sold the guns that went with them. My favorite was a tiny one I got years ago for a small auto-NAA 32, I think. He also has a nifty turtle trademark.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I had one for my 3" Ruger SP101. I thought it was a terrific holster. I prefer horsehide for all my holsters if I can get it and that is about all Rusty works with. I know that several years ago when I worked with him he was having a lot of issues with pain in his hands. It took me over a year to get my stuff. He will also put military and police orders to the head of the line, so that also contributed to my long wait. He was up front about everything and I wasn't in a hurry, so I was fine with it. I spoke with him multiple times over the phone and I really came to like him. You will get a high grade holster from a pretty unique fella. Just be prepared to wait. I think it is worth it.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent product, interesting man.

Yes, worth the wait.

I like my dual purpose Crossdraw ( P239) better than my High Ride.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Visited Rusty years ago. Bought his P225 and a holster to go with it. Also got one of his belts and It's a great product. Still using mine after maybe 12 years. Still looks good.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I have his SIS holster and double mag pouch for my 1911. I used it as a plainclothes setup before I left that unit. Loved it!!! It's much more rigid than any other leather holster I've ever had. It took the abuse too. It's got asphalt and wall scrapes, etc. The black dye seems to have worn faster, but only in color - in no way was the leather compromised. It actually made it look better around the high wear edges. It took a few months to get when I ordered it, but no regrets at all - quality gear.

Is that holster designed for AOWB or 3:00 carry?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
It's a straight drop, with no cant, so at 3:00 it's perfect and how I prefer. Not sure how it would work more up front, but now that I'm playing with it, it could be just fine. It's design is for 3:00 though.
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:

Is that holster designed for AOWB or 3:00 carry?

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of his High Ride holsters, one for a Glock 26 and one for a Walther PPS. As the first peron who responded to you noted, boning is not what you might expect with cowhide and finish is rough. That said, it's a concealment holster and not a piece of jewelry, so I'm much more concerned with function than with beauty. I also have to agree that it's too floppy. Even with a very stiff belt, the center of gravity of this holster with the gun in it makes it bounce about too much for my taste and makes it more difficult to conceal under light clothing. I'd go with something that sits just a bit lower. There isn't really anything I might wear that I can think of that will conceal a High Ride but won't conceal something that puts the muzzle an inch or two below my belt.

Posts: 2 | Location: Lexington, VA | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post