SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger you need to make one more semi auto
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger you need to make one more semi auto Login/Join 
posted
All you need to round out a very nice selection is a .357 mag in a 1911 please.

thank you in advance

( if anyone has an e-mail addy for flatgate over on the ruger forum,
I'd be interested)

have trouble logging in

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that Coonan tried that for a while and it didn't sell as much as they'd hoped. An LAR Grizzly took it a few more notches, but they are kinda spendy.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figured that the 65% of the Ruger fans already have a GP and would just get it , because they made it.

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
.357 Magnum is a rimmed revolver cartridge. Rimmed cartridges don't tend to play nice with traditional semiauto magazines or traditional semiauto designs.

In addition, .357 Magnum is an overly long cartridge designed for revolver cylinders, so the magazine and corresponding grip of a .357 Magnum semiauto would have to be extra thick front-to-back. (You can't cram .357 Magnum into a standard 9/40/45 semiauto format.)

Despite all that, Coonan Arms produces a quasi-1911 specifically adapted for .357 Magnum, which incorporates a number of modifications in order to be able to handle the rimmed .357 Magnum cartridge. As a result of all the changes needed to work with .357 Magnum, it similar to a 1911, but not a 1911. And it is a pretty slow seller. So I don't see Ruger spending the time and money to get into that extremely niche market anytime soon.

http://www.coonaninc.com/product/357-magnum-classic/

Note the overly thick grip compared to a standard 1911, to accommodate the long .357 Magnum cartridge:

The LAR Grizzly was an earlier attempt from the 1980s at making a quasi-1911 that could handle cartridges like the .357 Magnum. It also has a number of internal changes plus an overly thick grip in order to accomodate the .357 Magnum cartridge, and it too was a slow seller.

A better option in the 1911 platform would be the .357 Sig cartridge, which was created to replicate .357 Magnum performance in a smaller, more semiauto-friendly (and non-rimmed) package. There are some standard 1911s available in .357 Sig.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue beat me to it. There is a short case, rimless 357 mag - called 357 SIG.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
if anyone has an e-mail addy for flatgate over on the ruger forum,
I'd be interested)

Flatgate passed away early in 2018.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Just like SIG should make the 10mm P220 and the staggered-column (double stack) 45 ACP P220 that people here clamored about for years and then were such commercial successes after they were actually produced—? Roll Eyes

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Coonan is a real blaster. You'll need on some ear protection. So will the shooter 3 stations down from you.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you are slowly drifting away from the 357 Magnum 1911, consider a double stack 1911 in 10mm. I did. Wink

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
if anyone has an e-mail addy for flatgate over on the ruger forum,
I'd be interested)

Flatgate passed away early in 2018.

well that sucks,

I will go look for another person to contact , to help get me in..

Rogue. thanks for the comparison photo

posted Hide Post
wow! 11 ammo weights in 10mm Eek

I can remember when there were 4, available

posted Hide Post
I just wish they had an SR1911 38 Super

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

If by "in" you mean registered for the Ruger forum, there's no signing up at the moment. (or for a while now) Upgrades are in the works however.

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My Dad has a Colt 1911 in .38 Special that he had a gunsmith make for him in the '60s when we lived in Hawaii. I guess it used to be a thing. I don't remember him ever shooting it though.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the subject of this thread but it made me think of it. So, there ya go.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Desert Eagles were made in .357. Had one for a while, functioned well, loved the accuracy. However with that small hole in the same barrel blank it was a heavy SOB.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2003 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old Colt Gov’t i 9 x 23mm did the trick! 124 gr about 1450 fps smoking and easy to shoot.

I think they should bring the .356 TSW back

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All you need to round out a very nice selection is a .357 mag in a 1911 please.

thank you in advance

( if anyone has an e-mail addy for flatgate over on the ruger forum,
I'd be interested)

have trouble logging in

They do it's called .38 super. The ballistics are very close between the two cartridges.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No chance homie.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

If by "in" you mean registered for the Ruger forum, there's no signing up at the moment. (or for a while now) Upgrades are in the works however.

Just curious, which Ruger forum?

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Per the website, they do make the Standard and Target (all stainless steel, five-inch "Government" length, fixed or adjustable sights, respectively) models in 10mm (but not in .357 SIG). Some loadings of this cartridge can exceed the .357 Magnum. The .357 - a revolver cartridge - itself is a terrible cartridge for a semi-auto that you can still get your fingers around.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post