SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Saturday Range Report VT Labor Day weekend - P320 X-Five issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday Range Report VT Labor Day weekend - P320 X-Five issue Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
It was a great day in VT, in the mid-70s and mostly sunny. The range where I shoot, surprisingly was empty when I arrived and only two other shooters came while I was there, both with rifles only.

I took a more minimalist approach than usual as another member suggested and only took three handguns, all 9mm. I would have confined it to two, but wanted to continue running the P365 which now has about 500 rounds through it.

For that purpose, I took a new range bag sold to me by a member here. It really worked well! it's like a miniature version of the I-Shot bag I really love and have used for over a decade and a half.

The front flap covers an integral magazine pouch and folds down to double as a range mat to protect whatever gun I'm shooting. It has two internal padded pouches for the guns, a couple of inner pockets for miscellaneous tools and supplies, as well as outer pockets for hearing protection, small binoculars and a water bottle, just like the larger bag. There is also plenty of room for ammunition. There also to other pockets on the other side of the bag on the outside which I've yet to fill. One has room for a magazine.

I shot the P320 X-Five and a CZ Shadow 2. Initially both handled well and I shoot them consistently testing the sights out at seven yards. The Shadow sights were on the mark. The P320 sights required significant adjustment.

At 25 feet, both were, or could be, equally accurate, but I shot the Shadow 2 much better consistently. It might have been the red fiber optic sight or the weight of the gun. I found I did not have to have a tight a hold or as aggressive a stance with the CZ. It seemed more forgiving. The P320, however, was not. It required from me more consistency in hold, stance and aggressiveness. But, I need to develop those things anyway.

Initially both guns were flawless. However, in about the middle of the 150 rounds I put through the X-Five, I had a number of occasions when the slide did not go into battery and required a nudge on the rear. There were a couple of cases where it did not fire and these, I believe were also about going into battery. I noticed when putting the gun away at the end of the session I racked the slide, did a visual of digital inspection of the mag follower and barrel then dropped the slide. when I pulled the trigger, the slide moved forward slightly indicating it had not been entirely in battery.

So, there were occasions when the trigger was dead because it was no in battery, but also occasions, fewer, when I pulled the trigger, but it didn't fire, again, because it was not in battery entirely. At least this is what I think was happening.

I was, however, positively impressed with the accuracy of both guns in my hands.

Regarding the P320, I did use Slide Glide grease, but it was the Lite version. Possibly this impeded the slide enough on occasion to cause what I experienced. I could change to Miltec 1 or perhaps FP-10 and see if that makes a difference. I would also like to get a metal guide rod and perhaps a heavier spring would be in order. Anyone know the spring weight from the factory?

The P365 was flawless this time out. Again, I was impressed with the accuracy I could achieve with it at 7 feet, without much trouble at all.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Dammit, now I want one of those range bags.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a similar issue with their X-Five?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
I’ve read of a few such instances but it’s never happened to mine; almost 2k rounds now and seven IPSC matches.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two 320x5's and if I slowly release the slide by hand it will always hang up out of battery. It's never been an issue when shooting, but it is a concern of mine as it's the only pistol I own that will not completely return to battery when I slowly bring the slide back. If I let it go quick it's no problem. Like I said, never an issue in thousands of rounds, but I don't know why they hang up like that.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Anyone have a similar issue with their X-Five?

A friend had the same failure to return to battery problem when he first got his P320 X-Five. I advised him to lube it well with TW-25B and that the problem would probably go away after further break-in. He hasn’t experienced the issue in several range sessions now.

I am curious, though, what ammunition you were shooting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post