SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me: Ruger LCP II 22 lr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me: Ruger LCP II 22 lr Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Last week at a local gunshop, I acquired this Ruger. I traded my Kel Tec PF9 in on the Ruger, as once I got my Ruger LC9s Pro, I never carried the Kel Tec anymore and now disliked the trigger.
The Kel Tec functioned fine, and I had done so many upgrades on it, I kinda hated letting it go.

First thing I did was order additional magazines, and A Hogue Grip. I've not had a chance to shoot it yet, Friday, I bought several boxes of different 22 lr ammo to test.

The safety on the 22 Ruger is a non-issue to me. The bluing has already worn from holstering in the Kydex holster from my Ruger LCPII 380.

I do wish Ruger would install more visible sights on their small autos. I've wanted this 22 ever since I found oout about it.

Will update this thread after shooting it. The price at the local gun shop was $325.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It it proves reliable, it would make a neat little fun gun.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I've been intrigued since I first saw it announced.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I handled one at my local shop and will have to have one. Just waiting for prices to come down.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
I handled one at my local shop and will have to have one. Just waiting for prices to come down.

I thought about ordering one from Buds Guns @$300, but adding the transfer fee, it worked out cheaper at the gun shop. But then, my trade was involved.

I had also looked at the Glock 44, 22lr , it was a tough decision. Seems I am ending up with mostly Rugers.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chazman1946
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these and cleaned and took it to the range with three boxes of CCI ammo (supposedly the most reliable).

I took my Crimson Trace Green laser off my .380 LCP II and put it on the .22 it shot dead on with no corrections.

Unfortunately shooting CCI Mini-Mags, Velocitor and Segmented ammo, only about 12 rounds out of 150 total actually cycled the pistol after shooting it. All follow up rounds hung up on the feed ramp.

The pistol is now back at Ruger for repair.

Posts: 78 | Registered: July 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just my experience with shooting a Ruger MKIII...

You will need more magazines.... too much fun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chazman1946:
I bought one of these and cleaned and took it to the range with three boxes of CCI ammo (supposedly the most reliable).

I took my Crimson Trace Green laser off my .380 LCP II and put it on the .22 it shot dead on with no corrections.

Unfortunately shooting CCI Mini-Mags, Velocitor and Segmented ammo, only about 12 rounds out of 150 total actually cycled the pistol after shooting it. All follow up rounds hung up on the feed ramp.

The pistol is now back at Ruger for repair.

I'm sorry hearing about the bad luck with your little Ruger. Hopefully it will come back working 100%.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice here, no rain, so I will test my LCP 22 out. With any new 22 gun, I always fire rapid fire the first maybe 40-50 rounds to break in parts, provided there are no malfunctions.

"Just my experience with shooting a Ruger MKIII...

You will need more magazines.... too much fun."

I will order 2 more magazines soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested in purchasing one this coming fall / winter.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I forgot about this little gun. If reliable, I’ll be getting one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The mini size 22 pistols had been kind of forgotten over the years, with the Beretta 21 being the only one available, and sometimes hard to find. I am glad Ruger brought this out.

Sadly, there is no way I see, that any other sights could be installed, as the top of the slide is not thick enough for any machining.

I really liked the Glock 44 I looked at and it was a tough decision deciding whether to get the Glock or get the Ruger.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
That is always a sore pint for me. Why can’t they design these little 22’s with real sights? Some people actually want to hit stuff. My Beretta 21a is a jam o matic and horrendous little sights. What is the thought process. 87 on other hand.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never cared for the LCP but this one's a dandy. What a great little kit gun. I agree that it's unfortunate that the sights are so rudimentary, but for the pistol's intended purpose, they'll do just fine

As always with small rimfire autos, feeding and extraction (and to a lesser extent, ignition) are the main stumbling blocks. If Ruger has gotten it right, this pistol looks like all kinds of fun.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have the 380 version of the LCP II. Recoil is not an issue for myself personally. Ruger should think outside the box and make the little LCPII in 32 acp, as there are many people still that want that round.

Perhaps it would not sell as many as the 380 version, but would fill a niche only Kel Tec and Beretta currently have.

美しい犬

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I like little .22 autos. Years ago, say about 87 or so I bought a Jennings J-22. I know, zinc garbage, striker fired junk but the damn thing gobbled up every single type and loading of .22LR I put through it. The only thing that would not cycle was the little shot shells which aren’t really meant to anyway. The thing was uncannily accurate given that the crappy sights were just that. I understand that this was a rarity with Jennings pistols. I had someone actually want to trade a Winchester 1894 for it so it’s been gone for nearly 30 years. My 21A Bobcat is somewhat unreliable by comparison so it just sits in the safe.

I did end up getting a cousin to the LCP; I got the LCR in .22 and have been a very satisfied customer. You can rip off all 8 rounds in under 2 seconds and at 10 feet or so keep them inside a minute of grapefruit as fast as you care to shoot it. Slow fire at that distance is extremely accurate, given that it is a double action only with a stout-ish trigger. That little LCP is interesting.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I have to admit I like little .22 autos. Years ago, say about 87 or so I bought a Jennings J-22. I know, zinc garbage, striker fired junk but the damn thing gobbled up every single type and loading of .22LR I put through it. The only thing that would not cycle was the little shot shells which aren’t really meant to anyway. The thing was uncannily accurate given that the crappy sights were just that. I understand that this was a rarity with Jennings pistols. I had someone actually want to trade a Winchester 1894 for it so it’s been gone for nearly 30 years. My 21A Bobcat is somewhat unreliable by comparison so it just sits in the safe.

I did end up getting a cousin to the LCP; I got the LCR in .22 and have been a very satisfied customer. You can rip off all 8 rounds in under 2 seconds and at 10 feet or so keep them inside a minute of grapefruit as fast as you care to shoot it. Slow fire at that distance is extremely accurate, given that it is a double action only with a stout-ish trigger. That little LCP is interesting.

Your Jennings J22 wasn't the only one like that. I had one, that did what yours did, except no one offered a nice trade for. I eventually sold mine to a co worker for $20.

If the Jennings had been made with higher quality materials, I wonder would it have worked as well?

美しい犬

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Your Jennings J22 wasn't the only one like that. I had one, that did what yours did, except no one offered a nice trade for. I eventually sold mine to a co worker for $20.

If the Jennings had been made with higher quality materials, I wonder would it have worked as well?

I think yes; the fixed barrel wouldn’t have been affected by a nicer, machined slide or a better striker system; it’d be like putting lipstick on a pig though Big Grin All in all, I can’t really complain about it in the end.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I shot the little Ruger today. I shot 50 Rounds Federal Game Stopper, 50 rounds CCI Stinger and 100 rounds Remington Golden Bullets JHP.

In the first 3 magazines,of the Federal each magazine had a failure to eject a round. I thought, this isn't a good beginning. Then I started downloading the magazines by 1 , after that the Federal ammo worked fine. Except the Federal 22 was the least accurate.

Accuracy with the CCI and Remington was very good in my plinking, the Remington being a very mild recoiling round.

One ugly feature reared it's head, common with many of Ruger's new line of small autos, trigger sting. Although not as severe and painful as the centerfire models, it was just enough to dampen shooting fun. I will tey to correct that in the future.

More testing later this week, 200 rounds today., 3 FTE, in the beginning

美しい犬

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the 380 version of the LCP II. Recoil is not an issue for myself personally. Ruger should think outside the box and make the little LCPII in 32 acp, as there are many people still that want that round.

I have the .380 as well & have been saying this same thing since the LCP II came out. It's perfect for a .32

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post