SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking info on a very specific Custom X-5
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking info on a very specific Custom X-5 Login/Join 
Picture of Flork
posted
A number of years ago, I built up an X-5 for a customer. That customer promised me to give me first dibs on buying it from him should he decide to sell it. I had to pass up on the opportunity for lack of funds. I've since lost track of the owner of this gun and am hoping the members of Sigforum can help me track it down.

Below are photos of the gun.

If anybody knows the owner, would you ask them to get in touch with me?

------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."
Leonard Novak - "Thee Gambler" (SASS)
------------------------------------------------

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

http://www.apextactical.com/bl...nternal-lubrication/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Your photos don't show up for me.
Edit: Scratch that. They just appeared. Don't recognize the nice gun though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email sent

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I recall the gun but not the owner.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have any info, but that is one sweet looking X5.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I noticed there is some grease on it.. Smile

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys, I found the original owner thanks to Mbacker_99. He doesn't recall the buyer, but is going to look into it for me a bit.

Thanks, I loved building that gun and would liketo get my grubby hands on it for my collection.

Scott @ Apex
"Own enough guns that your wife will never notice a gun or 2 being added or taken away from the collection."

My guides to Sig Lubrication: http://www.apextactical.com/bl...-sauer-pistol-rails/

Posts: 3489 | Location: Apex Tactical Specialties - Peoria, AZ | Registered: June 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
It's cruel to withhold what kind of specials pixie dust you used when working on this pistol... any notable details? Smile

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hey Flork!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
At first I thought it was a base X5 tactical. But, then, seeing that the frame has been melted a little, plus the dust cover shaved off a bit, I thought then that no SIG aficionado would do that to an alloy frame. That frame must be stainless. So, I'd take a wag and say that the gun was originally a base X5 Competition, with frame modified as noted above, the slide also dehorned, the cocking serrations also modified, and the entire gun was finished in some hard coat black. The barrel was obviously fluted from original.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Don't forget the rounded trigger guard. Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
I owned it for a while. I believe I got it from a member that was in Federal LE (possibly out of Ohio?). It went to another member here, but I can't remember his username. I'll look around and see if I still have any of that info.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
BryanZ06,

Thank you for posting, if you can track down the purchaser and send him my email I would greatly appreciate it. My email is Scott@apextactical.com

As for the rest of you wanting details....it was like 9 years ago, how the hell should I remember? Ok I'm kidding, I'll drop a narrative of what I can remember was done below.

The base gun was an X-5 Competition with the super heavy dust cover.

- Milled a giant bevel onto the dust cover to remove mass.

- Re-contoured the beaver tail. I never liked the extra wide beaver tail the factory uses, it's too square and hits the bones in the top of your hand when you hold it for extended periods of time. Bruce and I always narrowed and rounded them back in those days as long as the customer approved.

- Full frame melt job. Basically I took a hand file and a Rubberized adhesive wheel and went to town on all the sharp edges. The idea here was to grip the gun and any place where you can feel the slightest high point, pinch or poke, work it down, roll it off and smooth it out. Making both sides match was the hardest part.

- Serrated the top of the slide... because we could.

- Removed alternating tops and bottoms of slide cocking serrations. Mostly did this for esthetics, but I also always felt that Sig's serrations were too deep and too close together.

- After all the work, I bead blasted it for an even finish then sent it off for the GGI Super Black Finish.

- Installed a Dawson FO Front sight and beveled the factory rear to provide better peripheral vision around the rear sight.

- Did the usual GGI high end trigger work, making the pull nice and crisp. Don't recall the weight, but I wouldn't doubt if we set it around 2.5 to 3lbs.

- Fitted a Bar-Sto 40 to 9 conversion barrel.

- Fluted one of the two barrels just for looks, but don't recall which exactly.

I think that's about it. Here are the pics.

Scott @ Apex

Picture of a1plinker
posted Hide Post
It was a fun build an entire life time ago.

I hope you find it, I think that would be cool for your collection having done the work. Such nice detail work on this one.

I thought the Nils grips were the cherry on top...but never could bring myself to shoot much with them mounted B-)

www.govtrack.us - go there - track topics...get info

Posts: 637 | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
The Nils grips are super sexy, but not my flavor for shooting.

Scott @ Apex

A man of few words
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I tracked down the emails that I exchanged with the buyer. I sent him a link to this thread. I feel like I've seen him post here somewhat recently, but can't track down his username (it's slightly different than his email apparently).

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some great pics of the process, thanks.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flork
posted Hide Post
Glad to post them, I have photos of other custom builds I've done too. Maybe some day I'll post about each and every one of them.

Scott @ Apex

Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
Email sent Flork.

It resides with me now.

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Love everything about this thread.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post