SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Elite Stainless, German or US
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Elite Stainless, German or US Login/Join 
posted
There is a P226 stainless Elite, NIB, currently for sale in the classifieds. It is pictured in what looks like a current production black case with all paperwork. Someone asked if the frame was made in Germany. If it is current production; would it be possible for it to made in Germany? If yes, why does it matter? If no, were they ever made in Germany? I'm just curious for future knowledge; no judgement being made on the add or question.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Elite Stainless were never made in Germany. The earlier ones had Frame Made In Germany, and that's about it.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
And it doesn't matter anyway.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
And it doesn't matter anyway.

It might not to some, but it does to those who want German made guns. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The biggest issue with some of the older Stainless elites is that the frame finish often didn't match the slide. One would have an almost brushed look with the other having a really dull head finish. The one in the classifieds has a new style long extractor so really don't get the frame is German.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the closest thing to a 226 Elite that was made in Germany was the 226 Sport Stock.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The biggest issue with some of the older Stainless elites is that the frame finish often didn't match the slide.

Hmm, you're right. This is my German frame .40 S&W P226 SSE that I bought in 2010:

(The wood grips are too big for my hand.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The biggest issue with some of the older Stainless elites is that the frame finish often didn't match the slide. One would have an almost brushed look with the other having a really dull head finish.

I have a P220 Carry SSE that's exactly like that. Shoots great but with the contrasting stainless finishes the slide always looks like it belonged with another gun. Annoyed me at first but I've gotten used to it over the years...kind of.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Slightly different compositions of stainless materials, apparently.

Q

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I had never noticed the difference in finish between the slide and frame before it was pointed out. That photo was taken a while ago and the irregularities could be "SIGgunk" on the slide, but the slide is/was not corroded.

I've learned something new, and now the OP has more information to make a decision.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Slightly different compositions of stainless materials, apparently.

That likely is the case to avoid galling issues but if you carefully choose blast media you should be able to approximate the colors and finish really well. I have owned plenty of all Stainless Sigs (including a 226 elite) that were all German or half and half where the color of slide and frame matched perfectly. If you look at the slide and frame finish of the one pictured above you can see that the frame was bead blasted using a fine bead finish and the slide with likely a larger bead that gives a dry almost course appearance. I would venture to guess that the frames and slides were made and bead blasted at different times and out of sheer laziness Sig didn't make sure that the finishes matched.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post