SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone have an M&P Shield M2.0 with the integrated laser?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have an M&P Shield M2.0 with the integrated laser? Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
Was curious if anyone had one of these and what they think of the integrated laser unit in both function and carry bulk? It doesn't seem to add much to the weight per the specs, but it does add some obvious bulk to the front end which may affect IWB carry. Experience/comparison with a laser vs. non-laser Shield would be appreciated if applicable too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but have handled the one we have left in the shop and demo'd it for customers.

The activation button for the laser is pretty far forward. I cannot activate it without shifting my grip and reaching for it with my trigger finger. I have big hands.

Several customers have commented on the lack of a grip activation of the laser, as is seen on other models/makes.

As to function, one press lights the laser with a steady beam. A second press activates a pulse mode of the laser. A third press turns it off.

It adds very little weight, but the laser equipped shield does have a more forward balance than a 2.0 shield NOT so equipped.

As far as IWB carry, I don't see where that would be different with the laser equipped shield vice a "plain" model. Other than the fact that it does not fit in holsters made for the laser free shield.

Be advised that s&w is proud of that gun. Ours is almost $600. Probably another reason we cant sell it.

Murphs leather is making IWB holsters for the laser equipped shield 2.0. But they have not arrived yet. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response 18DAI. That was great information to share as I'm sure I'm not the only one that might be interested in the new Shield. Much appreciated. What size battery(ies) does the laser use and does the packaging / manual say what the approximate run time of the laser is? S&W unfortunately left that information off their tech specs on the website. Interestingly enough I did a chat with and called S&W customer service and received an answer of "I believe it is a..." from both sources which was a little unexpected and vague, not to mention the chat rep told me about 40 hours of run time and the phone rep told me about 5 hours. Just a wee bit of disparity there. I know the integrated laser unit has not been out that long but you would think they would at least be able to ask someone for the correct information if they were not sure instead of just guessing.

I did see that it appears several holster makers are apparently already offering holsters for the integrated frame laser guns.

I've never really been that interested in or a user of lasers in general, but the Shield looks like a well done integration that may have some merit and usefulness while being unobtrusive.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I don't own one, but have handled the one we have left in the shop and demo'd it for customers.

The activation button for the laser is pretty far forward. I cannot activate it without shifting my grip and reaching for it with my trigger finger. I have big hands.

Several customers have commented on the lack of a grip activation of the laser, as is seen on other models/makes.

As to function, one press lights the laser with a steady beam. A second press activates a pulse mode of the laser. A third press turns it off.

It adds very little weight, but the laser equipped shield does have a more forward balance than a 2.0 shield NOT so equipped.

As far as IWB carry, I don't see where that would be different with the laser equipped shield vice a "plain" model. Other than the fact that it does not fit in holsters made for the laser free shield.

Be advised that s&w is proud of that gun. Ours is almost $600. Probably another reason we cant sell it.

Murphs leather is making IWB holsters for the laser equipped shield 2.0. But they have not arrived yet. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI

$600???? Isn’t the dealer cost in the mid $300’s? A dealer buddy sells them for $379. He usually charges $20 above cost so I’m guessing the dealer cost is about $350-359? He sells the non-laser version for $319. He sells the Gen 1 guns for $279. This guy sells at gunshows and usually sells 2-300 guns per weekend so he buys by the truck load. Maybe he gets a better deal from distributors?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I also don't get why S&W didn't go with the front strap activation switch, since they now OWN the company that made that design famous and popular, and now hold whatever patents are associated with it. One or two of those lasered Shields came in a couple of weeks ago; they sold fast but the design seems like an asleep-at-the-wheel compromise, as if they were intent on copying Viridian when they actually own Crimson Trace.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I suspect that they went with the design that they did since a grip mounted activation switch would be more exposed to accidental activation and battery drain in a concealed carry holster as opposed to having a flush button you can activate from either side that is covered and protected by the holster.

-Dtech

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I recall that the battery life was stated, to me, to be 20 hours of continuous use. My partner at the store, who had a shield and was a fan of that gun told me that. I dont know what battery it uses. Sorry!

Im not a fan of those guns. At all. In fact I despise them. So I dont read the manuals or spend any time with them. I only take them out of the case if a customer asks to see them. Sorry I couldnt be any more help.

Oh, the price on ours is $569 + tax. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I recall that the battery life was stated, to me, to be 20 hours of continuous use. My partner at the store, who had a shield and was a fan of that gun told me that. I dont know what battery it uses. Sorry!

Im not a fan of those guns. At all. In fact I despise them. So I dont read the manuals or spend any time with them. I only take them out of the case if a customer asks to see them. Sorry I couldnt be any more help.

Oh, the price on ours is $569 + tax. Regards 18DAI

Just curious as to what about them that you don't like? Don't have a dog in this race, but the Shield has kind of intrigued me, althogh I am very interested in the new P365 as a carry pistol if I ever get my permit. Thanks.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I have the Shield 2.0 with integated green CT Laser, and I like it,easy to carry and doesn't print, I have a Vedder kydex IWB holster, and use it in a no cant position,to be carried appendex style, the gun is the easiest to get to if and when it should be needed, one thing to watch for is the on and off button for the laser which can be acessed from either side of the gun, for this reason I like having my gun in the holster at all times, I would not sugest pocket carry without a good pocket holster that won't allow the laser to be turned on accidentally , aside from that this is a great little gun, and a much improved trigger and grip texturing, once the gun is in your hand, it's there to stay, no need for add on grip tape or rubber pull ons...the Vedder holster is nice in that you have enough adjustments to make the holster work best for the user, I find this a big plus...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vedder holster is nice in that you have enough adjustments to make the holster work best for the user, I find this a big plus...

Agreed, I have one for a G42 and TLR6 - it's a nice setup. I just wish they made them for G19/XC1.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
give them a call, they might accommodate you...worth trying..

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Sportsman Outdoor Superstore has the red integrated laser no external safety M2.0 9mm Shield for $359.99 shipped right now so it made my decision much easier. Put in my order for one late last night. Considering it was only $20 more than one without the laser, I want to give it a try as a potential EDC. I briefly considered the G43 but prefer the feel and handling (and capacity) of the Shield even though I'm definitely a Gen 5 Glock fan and I really like my G42. The P365 has some interesting merits but I won't be convinced until it gets out in the wild and gets some use and round count under its belt, especially for the price difference of the pistol and mags. The cash from a pending sale will pay for the M2.0 Shield too so the timing was good! Smile

-Dtech

posted Hide Post
I just saw an ad for a CT laser with the button on the front of the grip. I have the old version on a Shield 40 and have no issues with the on/off button.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sportsman Outdoor Superstore has the red integrated laser no external safety M2.0 9mm Shield for $359.99 shipped right now so it made my decision much easier.

Off-top, but these guys must be eyeing PSA as their prime competition. We've been seeing a lot of transfers from these guys lately; at those kinds of prices it's no wonder.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post