SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mauser M2 in .40 S&W. What would you pay?? UPDATE: I bought it!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser M2 in .40 S&W. What would you pay?? UPDATE: I bought it!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have seen these Mauser M2s spoken of pretty well around here I have just never come across one before.
I believe the .40 is fairly easily converted to 10mm with just some work to the barrel and removing a spacer in the magazine (correct me if I am wrong).
Well, I have come across one in good shape, 5 magazines, and original hard case.
It feels very nice in the hand feels to be built like a tank.
I just have never seen one for sale so not sure on a decent price and neither does the person who has it.

.40 seems to be a fallen caliber at the moment but I have thousands of .40 rounds and likely enough components to make another 10k. Yet, no longer own a firearm in .40.

The fact it seems to be that I could pretty easily convert it to 10mm is a huge plus as well.
I have a bunch of that ammo and components as well.

So what would you give for one??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have one in .45acp, paid $400 2 years ago.

.45acp M2 were scarce. Most built were 40S&W.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
45acp M2 were scarce. Most built were 40S&W.

Really??? I don’t think I ever saw one in .40 but saw a “relative” ton of them in .45 back when they were making the rounds so to speak.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7629 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I had/have, somewhere in my files, production numbers for the M2. I'll post if I can find it. I am probably wrong.

ETA. I was mistaken. The 45 was common, 40 more scarce. When I was looking, I was only finding 40s&w and stumbled on the 45.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I agree, there were lots more 45ACPs out there than 40s. It is the 357SIGs that I have never seen in person.

I had one of the 40s and 45s, though my 40 was converted to 10MM Auto almost instantly upon purchase. My 45 was one of the NRA editions and it was sold without my ever shooting it to a buddy that just had to have it.

Thanks the the rotating barrel lockup, the 10MM Auto will be a softer shooting pistol than most 40s.

BTW, in case you do not know, these pistols are manufactured by SIG. SIG owns (or used to own) the Mauser name for use on handguns.

Black92LX you are absolutely correct on the conversion process. It does not even need a recoil spring change thanks to the rotating barrel.

Pricing is a tough call, I have not seen many change hands recently. Both of mine were bought over a decade ago.

If I were looking I would gladly pay $600 for a pistol with the three extra magazines (remember the pistol came with two)

What is the asking price of the one you have located?

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Asking price has yet to be determined.
Big reason why I am asking here. Never seen one for sale in any caliber so I really have no clue what to expect.
But so far at $400-$600. I think I am good with that. Be interesting to see what the owner comes with.

It is a gun I would like to have but not willing to pay a super silly price for it so just trying to get an idea.

Glad you chimed in as I am pretty sure it was a post or two of yours that got my interest in these guns. Just never seen one in person before.
Is the person that converted your barrel still in business?

————————————————

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Just looked them up

I bought my 40 Brand new in 2005 for $301
I took the 45 in trade (unfired) at a value of $375 in 2007

Both in the box with 2 magazines. the 45 also had a NRA logoed glass top presentation case

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have one which was .40 when purchased and which is now a 10mm. After converting the two mags which came with the pistol, I lucked onto a closeout deal on M2 mags somewhere for a ridiculously low price, under $4 per if I recall correctly.

It's a very well made pistol and it shoots quite a bit softer than some of my other 10mm's. If you're leaning toward conversion, it may be a good idea to research the cost and use that information to help you decide what would be a reasonable price to pay for the M2.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a picture of the converted magazine and the steps to convert it.
Just looking at the mags, I think I Get the idea.
Looks like the inside of the mag has a plastic spine held in by some dimples and my guess is that is removed.
How easy is that spine to remove once the magazine guts are removed and does one need to flatten the dimples somehow?
Kind of like removing the dimple on a Remington 870 to install an extended magazine tube?

Also does anyone have a suggestion on someone to ream the chamber??

————————————————

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I just got mine out and took a few quick cell phone photos.

The first is before conversion with the spacer in place.

The second is after the spacer has been removed.

The third shows the small holes I drilled to remove the dimples pressed in to retain the spacer. I deburred each hole and then used cold blue to protect the bare metal which was exposed during deburring.

The last one is just to show that the hole drilled needn't cover the whole area of the dimples as long as you're careful to ensure that there are no further intrusions into the magazine and all burrs have been removed.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
I have one which was .40 when purchased and which is now a 10mm. After converting the two mags which came with the pistol, I lucked onto a closeout deal on M2 mags somewhere for a ridiculously low price, under $4 per if I recall correctly.

More than a decade ago, CDNN had NEW M2 40S&W magazines for either $2.99 or $3.99.

I bought a dozen of them back then

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Looks like the inside of the mag has a plastic spine held in by some dimples and my guess is that is removed.
How easy is that spine to remove once the magazine guts are removed and does one need to flatten the dimples somehow?
Kind of like removing the dimple on a Remington 870 to install an extended magazine tube?

Like FiveFiveSixFan, I drilled out the crimps. I then used a Dremel with a small ball shaped cutter to de-bur the holes.

I did not think to cold blue the new holes, but it is a great suggestion

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I had one in 45acp back in the days. Not a fan. The trigger pull sucked and the grip was horrible. Felt like gripping a 2 X 4. You could do much better if you are just wanting a 40.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:

Like FiveFiveSixFan, I drilled out the crimps. I then used a Dremel with a small ball shaped cutter to de-bur the holes.

I did not think to cold blue the new holes, but it is a great suggestion

Thanks fellas.
Pretty much as I guess essentially the same process as prepping a Remington 870 magazine tube for an extension.
Drill, clean up, and cold blue.

Any suggestions for someone to ream a barrel??

————————————————

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks fellas.
Pretty much as I guess essentially the same process as prepping a Remington 870 magazine tube for an extension.
Drill, clean up, and cold blue.

Any suggestions for someone to ream a barrel??

I can not recall who did mine

If I were looking for someone today, I would talk to Mark at Pinnacle

His work for me has always been top notch and his pricing has been very reasonable

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I bought it today for $450.

Just ordered a spare .40 barrel. Would it be better to have the original or new barrel reamed?

I also have 3 more mags coming. I tried to order 5 but once I got to my cart is would only add 3 magazines.

No mention anywhere I could find in regard to a purchase limit.

I’ll try again to order some more later but of course then I won’t be over the free shipping threshold if I only order 2. So may order more.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If one were to come across a complete .45 slide assembly would one be able to use that assembly on the .40 frame?

————————————————

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank: The trigger pull sucked

Odd, the unfired one in my safe has possible the best DAO trigger I've ever felt.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post