SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    E2 Grip question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E2 Grip question Login/Join 
posted
I'm strongly considering buying a CPO P226 or CPO P229. As of late almost all of the ones I see on sites or at auction have E2 grips which I do not particularly care for due to looks, lack of girth and mainly that people say they are a PITA to get off and on. Given the choice of them or the older plastic SIG grip panels that screw on I prefer the latter.

Should I end up with a pistol that has E2 grips are there really any places in the frame / trigger linkage under the grips that require routine cleaning and lubrication ?

Thanks.

Posts: 52 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
No. You are not stuck with the E2 grips, however. You can swap them for the older grips or any after market grip you fancy.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the recommended interval for checking the springs and lubing those contact points under the grips is something like every 5000 rounds. Sig uses a lot of grease in those areas, instead of oil- as the oil may dry/run off.

E2 grips are not that difficult to remove- but are not as simple as the traditional 2 screw grip panels.

I personally prefer the fit/feel of the E2 grips over the standard sized grips for the Sig pistols.

I have them on my P220 and P226. None available for my old-school P225.

I have removed/reinstalled them a few times, and don't find them overly irritating any longer- but the first time was a BEAR!

Since Sig uses threaded frames, instead of grip screw bushings [like the 1911], you can swap the E2 grips out for any others you like- just get the proper grips and washers/screws for them.

Just keep the price differential in mind.

If you buy a CPO 'deal', and then have to spend $75-100 for the grips you REALLY want, and the grip screws- compare that to maybe a non-CPO deal that comes with grips you already want.

If the CPO deal saves a couple of 100 dollars, it is still worth it.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PITA to get off. What on earth are you talking about? Simply not true. with the tool trivial. without the tool nearly trivial. color me confused on this one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
PITA to get off. What on earth are you talking about? Simply not true. with the tool trivial. without the tool nearly trivial. color me confused on this one.

Sounds like OP has no direct experience and simply goes by what some folks say online.
quote:
...mainly that people say they are a PITA to get off and on.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Sounds like OP has no direct experience and simply goes by what some folks say online.
quote:

I admit that I do not have experience with the grips and pretty much said so in the way I stated it. It's not anything that I made up and was based on what I read about several others experiences with them. As an example poster BCRX said above that they were a " Bear " for him the first time.

Instead of being so quick to be condescending a simple " In reality they aren't hard at all to get off or back on " " would have sufficed but for many on forum boards it's more enjoyable to sound like you did. On other forums I've lent advise and gave opinions on matters that I do have experience with and always try do it with the spirt of friendliness.

And no, I do not exclusively go by what some folks say online but if opinions and experiences from fellow shooters are to be disregarded then why have forum at all ?

Posts: 52 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: October 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Really it isn't hard to remove or install E2 grips. Sig supplies a tool to aid in taking E2 grips off or back on again. I use the sig tool and a couple of plastic tapered shims and it's a snap. And for the way they feel in your hand, go to LGS and handle some sigs with E2 grips.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Really it isn't hard to remove or install E2 grips. Sig supplies a tool to aid in taking E2 grips off or back on again. I use the sig tool and a couple of plastic tapered shims and it's a snap. And for the way they feel in your hand, go to LGS and handle some sigs with E2 grips.

Thank you. Your input is appreciated. Thanks to bcrx and GaryBF as well.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to say I like the E2 grips much better than factory grips which are too thick for me. G10s are my second choice on a 226.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geo57:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

quote:

I admit that I do not have experience with the grips and pretty much said so in the way I stated it. It's not anything that I made up and was based on what I read about several others experiences with them. As an example poster BCRX said above that they were a " Bear " for him the first time.

Instead of being so quick to be condescending a simple " In reality they aren't hard at all to get off or back on " " would have sufficed but for many on forum boards it's more enjoyable to sound like you did. On other forums I've lent advise and gave opinions on matters that I do have experience with and always try do it with the spirt of friendliness.

And no, I do not exclusively go by what some folks say online but if opinions and experiences from fellow shooters are to be disregarded then why have forum at all ?

Man, take it easy. I'm with you. I was just pointing out to hrcjon that you have no direct experience with it and simply go by what you read online. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have to say I like the E2 grips much better than factory grips which are too thick for me. G10s are my second choice on a 226.

Thanks, Blume9mm. For me and my hand my situation is the opposite. The older SIG panels give me a fuller, better feel. I " have room to spare " as far as trigger reach / position in DA mode on them, a Beretta 92FS and for the Glock 21.
If I get one with E2 another option is to simply add a girth enhancement as I do on my 1911A1.
I'll make my decision. I'm done with this thread. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
I think the 'bear' issue was that I was putting the E2 on a P220 and I couldn't get the tool to rotate into both sides of the grip panels through the frame. I was thinking the tool was wider for the double-stack grips.

I was also concerned with breaking the plastic and knowing how much was enough vs too much pressure.

After the first time, I had to remove them again.

Without the tool, it took me 2 minutes.

It was all in 'figuring it out'.

With the P226 and tool, it is not difficult either- but takes a bit more attention than slapping a flat grip panel on the side and using two screws.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one I had was not too bad, as far as having to clean the frame internals. The biggest thing I have learned with the E2 grips,that makes a big difference when you take off/put on the grips, is to protect the trigger bar spring. I have had to replace a few because you can kill the gun and prevent it from working if you compress the spring,even a little. This is one design, I think, that Sig dropped the ball on. I actually replaced the newer style spring with an older P226 spring. There are a few videos on youtube showing how to remove the E2 grips by using either a credit card,driver's license,etc. and put it over the spring when putting on or taking them off.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I've experimented with E2 grips on a P226, P227 and a P229R. They actually feel great and I like them a lot for shooting the pistols.

The only problem I've had with the E2 grips is that the texture is so aggressive. On a hot summer day I carried my P229R with E2 grips under a polo next to my bare skin. It liked to sand a hole into my side. LOL As long as it's cool enough to wear an undershirt I've had no other issues carrying a pistol with E2 grips.

That all being said, any P series that has E2 grips can have them swapped out for any other appropriate grip. I believe the P227 requires that you also purchase some kind of bracket that is placed into the grip area for the screws to turn in to. I've not tried this myself on my P227 but I've seen the brackets for sale on parts websites like CDNN.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post