SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New line of Walther pistols released, the PDP series.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New line of Walther pistols released, the PDP series. Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
New lineup of pistols from Walther, the PDP series supposedly in gun stores by this weekend. Word is that it is going to replace the PPQ poly series line and is modular in that frames and slides can interchange between size variations. Lots of YT videos about it just showed up. I already own the PPQ M1 and love it. Will be interested to see how this new line is received but not sure I am ready to buy one anytime soon as I like about a year to see what reports are on reliability and performance of a brand new design. The PPQ is a design that is pretty well proven being basically a part of the P99 series which was been around since 1997. My PPQ 9MM has been totally reliable for thousands of rounds fired with a wide variety of ammo. My LGS probably will have an event this weekend and hopefully I will be able to try one out.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not bad looking, but I am getting a chuckle out of SuperTerrain Slide Serrations.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^ You can saw logs with them

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
They were the first detail that I noticed from the side shot.
Seems overly large to me, but I guess it would make them more tactile with gloves?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not bad looking, but I am getting a chuckle out of SuperTerrain Slide Serrations.

Yeah, they could have done without that marketing gimmick LOL.

I like the redesigned slide and will be curious to see how well it shoots with it.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They're talking about modularity, but nothing like SIGs separate serialized fire control group. So I assume that the full grip frame is the serialized part.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unnecessary changes. Marketing bullshit. Oh, yes, "modularity". Uh huh, sure. "Modularity". The latest "thing" no one really needs in pistols- like hooked trigger guards in the 1980s. Roll Eyes

Walther wants to sell you pieces of pistols and you Lego that shit together any way you want. Wow, how did we ever do without that?? Roll Eyes

The PPQ doesn't need to be changed or "modularized" Roll Eyes

The evolution of the P99 has made sense up to this point. From the P99 to the P99QA to the P99 RAD to the P99Q to the PPQ M1 to the PPQ M2, as it exists today. These changes to the P99 brought the pistol in line with the other polymer pistols with Glock-like trigger actions, which is a wildly popular, widely available system. But now, Walther is playing follow the leader with changes which will only muddy the waters.

I swear to God, I wish I'd never seen an RDS for pistols. Now, every pistol slide must have a removable plate to mount an RDS, or that pistol is OBSOLETE. Screw that silly crap sticking up off the back of slides like some kind of Goddamned tumor a Borg might develop on their skin. Hell, don't stop there. I want my modularization modularized, and then modularize that whole shebang. Manifold modularization or bust. Roll Eyes

Again, how did we ever live without all this "modularization" and gigantic electronic sights on pistols? Pistols!

Not to mention, Walther's timing is shit. The US is Walther's biggest market. How many of these will Wather sell when they start shipping them with ten round magazines, if you can get these "modular" pistols at all? You want to make money Walther? Then cut the follow-the-leader shit and supply the US market with PPQ pistols and magazines. You can't even do that right now, and you're moving on to something else? Please Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Hell I thought the P99 was kinda the pinnacle for me personally, I didn’t even like when they made the mag paddles longer, much preferred the original.

I get that red dots on pistols are and thing and they have a place but without some pretty radical tech changes I don’t see them taking over as quickly as on rifles as on a rifle they add little to handling and bulk but on pistols they add a fair chunk.

But options are good. Hope they sell a billion of them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
options are good.
Not when the options fuck up a fine system.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I like their steel frame pistols, sans the slide milled for optic mount. That is an option and on the steel frames we dont have to have them milled and plate filled. I agree 100% on the dot sights as those aren't for every shooter.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So do these completely replace the PPQ? At least it appears they take the legacy mags.

I don’t think Walther has a product problem I think they have a marketing and distribution problem overall and I imagine it will be the same for this one as well.

They make GREAT stuff, well the ULM ones anyway. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm as big a Walther fan as you'll find around here. Walther has made some missteps in the past few years, although tiny missteps: the first version of the CCP, which required a special tool to disassemble the pistol; the first version of the PPS with that idiotic and potentially dangerous "Quick Safe" backstrap system, to name a couple.

Regarding this latest "innovation", I agree this is driven by marketing. Are they so unnerved by the P250/P320 modular system that they had to try to mimick it to a degree?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I swear to God, I wish I'd never seen an RDS for pistols. Now, every pistol slide must have a removable plate to mount an RDS, or that pistol is OBSOLETE. Screw that silly crap sticking up off the back of slides like some kind of Goddamned tumor a Borg might develop on their skin.

I'm with you there. I have 3 pistols with the plate and only one had an RDS on it. I couldn't get used to it and even though I see the advantages, it wasn't for me. Rather use the sights the come with it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wanting to try a PPQM2, but I have had such lousy luck with non functional PPKs, I cant make make the leap of faith and buy one.
The new Walthers modularity is what Sig has been doing for a few years now, so no real innovation there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have been wanting to try a PPQM2, but I have had such lousy luck with non functional PPKs, I cant make make the leap of faith and buy one.
Apples and oranges

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I'm surprised they didn't pull a Springfield Armory and mold "HoneyComb Zone" in the frame.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'd kinda like to go to our LGS and get a feel of it.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never shot a PPQ or any of those. I do have an early pre “AS” P99. It’s a great gun with poor support. When it came out, with proper marketing and holsters and sights and whatnot, it should have scared Glock. I still say the original system, with its ability to act like any of today’s modern strikers and decock to as safe as any hammer gun, is the best system of strikers created yet. I don’t give a fuck how light and crisp you can make a striker gun. The P99 was the best concept and nobody made the proper follow up gun. Don’t blame Walther for still making a 90 year old gun (PPK) and it not being as reliable as a modern one. If we stopped buying them they would quit making the PPK. Which they probably should.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Seems like they are trying to copy some of Sig’s success with the “modularity”. Honestly, the gun just looks like a bigger version of a P22Q. I’ll stick with Sigs and Glocks.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P99as was about the perfect striker pistol to me, never cared for anything later than that.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post