SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New line of Walther pistols released, the PDP series.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New line of Walther pistols released, the PDP series. Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The slide cuts aren't deep enough. They need to come out the other side of the slide. Not enough of 'em, either. We need more of these gigantic slide cuts. All this time, I've been satisfied with these puny little serrations on the back half of a slide, but now I know better. They need to be BIG and DEEP and LOTS OF 'EM.

Some of the CLEET instructors in Oklahoma have trainees pour dish soap all over their hands (to simulate blood/sweat/mud) and rack their pistol slides. It's more difficult than people realize. I like the slide serrations on the PPQ. I also like the ears on the VP9 but HK should make them from aluminum or steel. At any rate, I wish more manufacturers would mill slightly widened portions at the rear of the slide to facilitate slide racking under less than optimal conditions. I think S&W does it on the M&P 2.0.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Justin Opinion just did a head to head of the PPQ and PDP including looking at interior. He could not tell any difference between triggers including when shooting but his gauge showed the PDP trigger 6 ounces lighter than his well fired PPQ. He confirmed that the PDP slide worked on his PPQ. He shot them essentially the same and could not make a preference of one over the other. Unless one wants to put an optic on their Walther poly pistol and preserve use of the rear sight there does not seem to be any compelling reason to choose the PDP over a PPQ that one already owns, especially if one is partial to paddle release of the magazine.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Some of the CLEET instructors in Oklahoma have trainees pour dish soap all over their hands (to simulate blood/sweat/mud) and rack their pistol slides. It's more difficult than people realize.
Well, gosh, thanks for cluing me in. Why, I've never heard of a such a thing. I'm really new at this stuff, y'know, so you just jump right in there with the solid info any old time.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Some of the CLEET instructors in Oklahoma have trainees pour dish soap all over their hands (to simulate blood/sweat/mud) and rack their pistol slides. It's more difficult than people realize.
Well, gosh, thanks for cluing me in. Why, I've never heard of a such a thing. I'm really new at this stuff, y'know, so you just jump right in there with the solid info any old time.

Door knobs also become a real pain in the ass.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
P99as was about the perfect striker pistol to me, never cared for anything later than that.

I preferred my P99AS over my PPQ.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Justin Opinion just did a head to head of the PPQ and PDP including looking at interior. He could not tell any difference between triggers including when shooting but his gauge showed the PDP trigger 6 ounces lighter than his well fired PPQ. He confirmed that the PDP slide worked on his PPQ. He shot them essentially the same and could not make a preference of one over the other. Unless one wants to put an optic on their Walther poly pistol and preserve use of the rear sight there does not seem to be any compelling reason to choose the PDP over a PPQ that one already owns, especially if one is partial to paddle release of the magazine.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NCTPUBZC79s" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The gripper grip would be an advantage in some scenarios.

I think Justin Opinion would admit shooting one group at a static target is not exactly an in-depth test.

I agree with the overall analysis though. While there are enhancements in several areas with the PDP, they are for the most part small. If an individual can or will take advantage of them is related to how the individual intends to use the gun, their skill level and personal preferences.

For me personally, I have a number of PPQs. They are set up the way I like with the sights, triggers, barrels and optics of my choice.

They work great so I see no need to dump what I have and jump to the PDP.

What I think Walther has done, is add the features they need to keep the gun current with market trends and allow it to better compete features-wise for police and military (non-US) contracts.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
They still may. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

quote:
Originally posted by sox:
Was kinda disappointed, as I was hoping they would redesign the original PPS into a 365 competitor, fix the backstraps, refresh grip and slide a tad, keep paddle mag release, Glock Sights are nice touch. Don’t mind optic ready, as long they leave standard sights on it.

Love my M1 Q, gonna try the dynamic trigger when it comes in. Might get a 4.5” to try?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we got 'em:

L to R: Intermediate (think G19X/G45), Compact (G19), Fullsize (G17). Apologize for the oily spots on a couple of the slides.

Trigger action feel to me is exactly the PPQ's despite any claims to the contrary, and does vary a bit from gun to gun. In this immediate group the intermediate happens to have the best trigger. The serrations actually seem overly DEEP to me and are really kind of coarse in handling; these easily grab into my skin on racking. No wimpy Beretta APX serrations here. After the PPQ and the P99 before that, this one's slide is the epitome of BOXY. Neat if one likes rectangles...or boxcars as design inspiration...I suppose. Despite the new boxier slide, the guns are still very much lightweight much like the PPQ; they just look like they should be heavier due to the shape and proportions of that new slide. If Walther was going for illusion, they succeeded. The SF's grip texture gets mixed reviews; half of the guys hate it compared to the PPQ's, the other half (which I'm grouped with) think it's better. The Q4/Q5 SF grip is still superior, however; it feels RIGHT in steel. Overall impression? Pretty much seems like a version of a PPQ styled for Minecraft. In person it seems even more blockier than in picture form.

The one thing the new slide does do is give a wide enough platform for a reflex sight. Unlike the PPQ's tapering slide sides which apparently scares off those gunsmiths with milling equipment, at least according to Rainier Arms. The shop they use to mill slides for red dots won't do PPQs, period. And yes the slides do indeed go right onto a PPQ frame; we did the swap with a longslide PPQ frame. Not sure about the purported modularity thingy, though. From what I saw when one of the guys field stripped one of the guns, there didn't seem to be any sort of FCU sub chassis housing like the P320, Ruger American pistol or the Beretta APX. So I'm not sure where exactly these claims of modularity really fit in.

EDIT: oh I forgot, I kinda like it. Not enough to want to BUY one, however. My Caniks actually have better triggers, the ergonomics of my Glocks just suit my hands better after 30 years of "fitting". My "favorite" of the three sizes follows the Gen5 Glocks...the intermediate G19X/G45 size. Albeit unloaded, it seems to balance exactly right...just like my G45 does it so well for me.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the compact. I am a fan. I haven't fired it yet, only finger banged. The slide is chunky. Trigger is light, smooth with very short, tactile reset. What I felt was missing in the PPQ M2, the PDP makes up for... for me, that is the grip. While the trigger is very nice for range and competition, I prefer a slightly heavier trigger for carry. I need night sights, so the wait begins.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I think maybe Walther missed the mark in a couple ways.

1) They should have developed an internal trigger frame assembly like Steyr originally developed and SIG/Sauer subsequently copied.

2) These new PDPs take Glock sights, why stop there? They should also take Glock mags. Then they wouldn't have issues with people finding nearly unobtainium Walther magazines. People think of Glock as a gun manufacturer, when they should think of Glock as a gun & magazine manufacturer.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
First off, the front sight on a PPQ was always the crappy Glock sight. The rear sight was an elegant design, easy as hell to change out, why change it to a Glock rear sight? Last the PPQ mag is one the many that MecGar makes as the OEM supplier, including Sig once upon a time.

Walt her should have spent the money wasted on developing this “new & improved” PPQ on Customer Service and actually selling the Q4 & Q5 and their conversion kits they already made.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can claim it will be in gun stores this weekend, it will not. My shop has only seen 3 PPQ'S since they came out. But customers will be asking.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect the main driver of replacing the PPQ with the PDP is that the PDP is cheaper to manufacture.
I wish they had made the trigger group the serialized part and made grip modules with either the button magazine release or the paddle release as preferred.
I'm one of those 1 in 10 Americans that prefers the paddle release. Walther hooked me with that feature. I'll keep my PPS M1 and PPQ M1, but now I have to go with Hk to get what I want. Next up Hk 45.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
They can claim it will be in gun stores this weekend, it will not. My shop has only seen 3 PPQ'S since they came out. But customers will be asking.

I handled one at Academy Sports & Outdoors yesterday. Another LGS posted online a week ago that they have them in stock and are an official "PDP viewing station."

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:
I suspect the main driver of replacing the PPQ with the PDP is that the PDP is cheaper to manufacture.
Well, you may be right. The trend is always in that direction, for all products, it seems. This is unfortunate but true.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I Marine woodburned my PPQ m2 grip into a very non slick grip. He did a great job.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I Marine woodburned my PPQ m2 grip into a very non slick grip. He did a great job.

I thought about doing that with mine but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I knew someone locally I trusted with that work, I'd go for it.

I really like the PPQ and own several but the stock grip texture is not optimal, at least for me.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:

I thought about doing that with mine but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I knew someone locally I trusted with that work, I'd go for it.

I really like the PPQ and own several but the stock grip texture is not optimal, at least for me.

I am not a fan of permanently modifying stock grips but I throw Talon grips on almost all my guns. Have you tried these?

https://talongungrips.com/gun-...r/ppq-for-m1-and-m2/
https://talongungrips.com/gun-...her/ppq-sub-compact/

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:

I am not a fan of permanently modifying stock grips but I throw Talon grips on almost all my guns. Have you tried these?

https://talongungrips.com/gun-...r/ppq-for-m1-and-m2/
https://talongungrips.com/gun-...her/ppq-sub-compact/

I tried them on a different gun. It probably was my poor installation but they seemed less than durable.

I should give them another chance.

posted Hide Post
Saw one that was already on layaway at an LGS yesterday. Grip texture is good, but still has the shelf below the mag release that I don't like (I prefer paddles too), slide is really boxy, and the trigger doesn't seem that much different than a PPQ. As an optics ready slide replacement for a PPQ it's not a bad option vs. machining a PPQ. But you can get a Q4 and buy Walther's RMR plate with rear BUIS (and matching front sight) and have a completely workable solution.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post