SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Taking the pulse of the 320 owners re: voluntary upgrade
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking the pulse of the 320 owners re: voluntary upgrade Login/Join 
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I own an "older" P-320 which I might send in, if for nothing else I can say it was done if I ever sell it. But a couple of members have stated that their guns didn't come back the same condition as sent (marks/scratches). I'll wait till the rush has died down. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Put me in the "not sure" category.

I like my P320 just the way it is. I do not like the sound of Sig's Rube Goldberg fix or that skinny trigger.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
But a couple of members have stated that their guns didn't come back the same condition as sent (marks/scratches). I'll wait till the rush has died down. Chris

Me and Sig would be having a talk about that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Some guys are really over thinking this.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

How so?

If you like the gun just the way it is, trigger and all, and Sig's replacing the trigger with a skinnier trigger, then it's not really quite the gun you liked so much, any more, is it?

There are handguns I've picked up and fondled over the years that had skinny triggers. I put them right back down again and never gave them a second look, regardless of their other attributes. I do not like skinny triggers.

If you sent a gun in for the "upgrade" and it was returned to you with cosmetic damage that did not exist when you sent it off, then it's not quite the gun you sent them to "upgrade," any more, is it?

Yes, yes: It's "just a tool" and cosmetic damage, especially on a "tupperware gun" shouldn't be an issue. But it's one thing if that damage occurs through your use of the gun and quite another when somebody to whom you've entrusted it for an "upgrade" returns it to you damaged, wouldn't you say?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have disagreed with jljones in the past but I think he is right on this one. There is a known flaw and a fix. To not correct the flaw is bordering on stupid. Yes, we all have guns that we know aren’t drop safe. They weren’t designed in this century. To design a modern gun that isn’t drop safe is idiotic. No one would set out to do that. Sig didn’t, they discovered a flaw and to their credit is fixing it under a reasonable upgrade plan.

You don’t like skinny triggers? Ok, do you like getting shot in the forehead by your own gun potentially? Of course not, no one ever intends to drop a loaded gun. Shit happens. If you are the Death Star skipper and you know the exhaust port might blow up the entire Death Star then you fucking “upgrade” the exhaust port even if you prefer the old style exhaust port. It really is that simple.

So put me in the upgrade it or change platforms category. I will upgrade.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had second thoughts but after reading the results of the ones already done I decided to go with the Upgrade.
I'm still waiting for the shipping label if and when I get it then I'll send mine in. I was hoping to have mine shipped off long before the holidays but since it's only taking a week it's no big deal.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got shipping label email for two of the three even though I sent them in back to back to back, lol.

They are going in. Cover me.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent both my 320s in last Friday, October 20. My P320TACOPS came back yesterday, six days after I sent it. I call that exceptional service. I shot it in the afternoon and don't find any fault with the trigger. I think that the upgrade makes the pistol easier to sell or trade should one dislike the trigger or shape. Still waiting for my second 320 full size.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
If you sent a gun in for the "upgrade" and it was returned to you with cosmetic damage that did not exist when you sent it off, then it's not quite the gun you sent them to "upgrade," any more, is it?

Yes, but it's funny how someone that hasn't as much as washed their car in a year suddenly notices every door ding and nick after it returns from an oil change.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I just dropped mine off today. Should be there Tuesday. I forget exactly when I registered but I received my "we are verifying your information and you should see something soon" email on 3 Oct. I got the shipping label on 25 Oct.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yes Indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have disagreed with jljones in the past but I think he is right on this one. There is a known flaw and a fix. To not correct the flaw is bordering on stupid. Yes, we all have guns that we know aren’t drop safe. They weren’t designed in this century. To design a modern gun that isn’t drop safe is idiotic. No one would set out to do that. Sig didn’t, they discovered a flaw and to their credit is fixing it under a reasonable upgrade plan.

You don’t like skinny triggers? Ok, do you like getting shot in the forehead by your own gun potentially? Of course not, no one ever intends to drop a loaded gun. Shit happens. If you are the Death Star skipper and you know the exhaust port might blow up the entire Death Star then you fucking “upgrade” the exhaust port even if you prefer the old style exhaust port. It really is that simple.

So put me in the upgrade it or change platforms category. I will upgrade.

Game, set, and match.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with what the upgrade entails and how it is being conducted by SIG. I have only seen one possibly credible report of a “scratched” slide (which may be something else) so far out of many very positive reports. Owners are getting guns back in a week. Results uniformly yield a better trigger that meets enhanced rough handling specifications. The “skinny trigger” face feels the same as the adverse trigger it is directly derived from. The only issues with this upgrade are imagined or pretended, for whatever reason having little to do with real P320’s or their owner’s best interests.

That’s just how it is.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone contacted CS about the scratches and blemishes when their gun was returned since they went back in mint condition. That is one concern I have since I only had mine 2/3 weeks when all this started and was sent back looking just like it did out of the box new.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce, a quick question, if you're able to answer at this point in time.

I have a P320C 9mm purchased in January 2015. Installed a GGI P320 PELT trigger earlier this year. Using the OEM sear pin and spring. Completely satisfied. I find the internal "feel" of the trigger to be more important than the resulting lighter weight.

Question: If I sent it in for the upgrade, can I reinstall the PELT trigger and still have the pistol "drop safe". Or is the lighter Sig OEM trigger an essential part of the upgrade?

If the existing PELT is not compatible, will you have a compatible PELT trigger available in the future? Thanks.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
The “skinny trigger” face feels the same as the adverse trigger it is directly derived from.

Ah! That's good to know and pushes me toward the "will have it done" camp. Thanks for your comments, Bruce.

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Palmetto State Armory in Summerville, SC, has some upgraded 320 pistols. I dry fired one yesterday. I agree with the "feels crisper" assessment. My 320 is now registered for the upgrade.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the W 320 Compact L/E 9mm with the Pre tension barrel it seems to be a real tac driver and shoots good tight groups for this type gun . I may or may not send it in . I have old Ruger 3 screw guns and old Colt 1911s they could fire if dropped just right I never sent them in .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like my P320 just the way it is. I

Hench the term "voluntary"

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I would also be interested in a GGI trigger that would be compatible with a P320 that’s had the voluntary upgrade done. I’m sure the new factory trigger works fine, but to me, it looks a bit odd. Let us know if you have a trigger in R&D.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I purchased a PELT trigger kit but hadn't installed it.

I got the following letter from GGI:

quote:
Stock P320s with our trigger installed may still unintentionally discharge if dropped at an angle not tested as part of the accepted standards as defined by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), or National Institute of Justice (NIJ).

On Monday, SIG SAUER announced details about their voluntary upgrade program. The program includes installation of an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector.

Grayguns suggests you send your P320 to SIG SAUER for the voluntary upgrade.

Prior to sending the gun, remove your Grayguns trigger and include the stock trigger in the package sent to SIG SAUER. Retain your Grayguns trigger.

Our team - in consultation with our engineering partners at SIG SAUER - is working to develop an alternative design that will be compatible with your upgraded P320 and provide you with the same value you received from Grayguns when you made your original purchase of the PELT. As this process will take some time to research, develop, and test, we thank you in advance for your patience.

So that's what I plan to do.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post