SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bird's Head grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird's Head grips Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Is there any advantage of these over regular grips on a revolver....Blackhawk or Vaquero?

The arthritis in my wrist gives me a fit after shooting and I'm looking for something that may help.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I can answer the question better after I take my new Ruger .45 acp Birdshead out next weekend for a long overdue initial range visit.

Weather pending of course.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I can't give you an answer from the perspective of wrist pain, however, I can report that I really like the birdshead grip on my Ruger New Vaquero 45ACP. All I can say is try one if you can. The Ruger Bisley grip frame also has a different feel than the traditional plow handle grip frame.

Are you aware that MidwayUSA sells a Ruger birdshead rough frame. It may be a less expensove way to at least try one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...rame-stainless-steel

Vaquero1K by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Are you aware that MidwayUSA sells a Ruger birdshead rough frame. It may be a less expensove way to at least try one

That's what I was planning on getting if it will help the situation. My guns are blue but they sell one "in the white" that I think I can make do with.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I used Birdshead grips mainly when I shot Duelist and Gunfighter because it was a shorter reach to the trigger. They didn't do anything for me in terms of Recoil reduction. I would suggest you try the lower bore axis of the Bisley Blackhawk or Bisley Vaquero before making a decision.

You can also try reduced power loads.

Old picture, I don't have my Birdsheads anymore.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned several Blackhawks over the years in 45 Colt. I picked up my Birdshead Vaquero when they first came out. It is the original large frame Vaquero.

I have shot very hot "Ruger only" loads in both types of guns, and I much prefer the birdshead grip for the heavy recoil of those loads.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
My dream gun, small or medium frame da/sa Birdshead revolver with a 3in barrel.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Birdshead grip. My last birdshead purchase was in .45 Colt, next, later this year I think, will be .44. I'd like to find one in .41, or perhaps modify an existing revolver. My .45 has a 3" barrel.

Don't overlook the Gunfighter grips on a regular Vaquero or New Vaquero. They don't roll so much in the hand and make hanging on a bit easier, especially if one has a condition in their hands or forearms.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've read or heard that it was basically an attempt at making the pistol butt more concealable under clothing. Basically an early bobtail or "carry melt" option.

I have no use for that, but I really want one bad. Something about the look of it on an 1873 or clone is very appealing to me. I wish Ruger made birdshead gripframes for the New Vaquero, I'd get one for mine. Maybe it would get me off my butt to make a matching pair....

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
My experience, bird's head look really, really nice and don't handle nearly as well as a traditional square grip frame. YMMV.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I've owned several Blackhawks over the years in 45 Colt. I picked up my Birdshead Vaquero when they first came out. It is the original large frame Vaquero.

I have shot very hot "Ruger only" loads in both types of guns, and I much prefer the birdshead grip for the heavy recoil of those loads.

I remember you allowing me to run a cylinder full at those steel plates years back.
Sweet gun.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post