SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P 227 input
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P 227 input Login/Join 
posted
Thinking of getting another Sig, and would like input on accuracy, reliability, etc. of the 227. I currently have several 226s,two 220s, a 225(old, original version), a 229, an M11-A1, and a 245.
Obviously thinking of 45 ACP, and very familiar with the P-series, but also very familiar with the 1911s so they are a possibility also. Don't need someone to make the decision for me, just want input from those who have/ used the 227 to make an informed decision. Thanks for the input!

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 367 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have had my P227 for quite a while now.

The only reliability issue was that the early magazines had the catch notch cut in slightly the wrong place. Once SIG replaced my magazines all was well. I think I have 4 of the 10 round magazines and 3 of the 14s at the moment.

I find my P227 to be as reliable and accurate as all of my P220s have been over the last 4 decades.

I do like the slight undercut at the back of the trigger guard (adopted from the X-family).

I would have preferred if the factory had installed the standard trigger instead of the short trigger. One day I will get around to changing it.

I did put the Hogue Cocobolo wood grips on mine as soon as Ken had them ready for us.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently drove clear across the state to get a P227 SAS G2.
Worth the time, effort and gas. I stay away from the 14 round mags, as lot of folks here on SF have reported problems with them. But that may have been corrected. Mine runs great with the 10 round mags. To me, it carries like a 229

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It is basically a double stack P220. SIG can't screw up a tried-and-true designed, now, can they? Big Grin
But seriously, it is a great gun. Very comfortable and reliable. And, as stated, I would stay away from the 14-rounders. Has SIG (Mec-Gar) fixed them? Who the heck knows, and I don't care to find out the problem, again.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I have a P227 Equinox, reliable and accurate with 10 round magazines. Never found a 14 round magazine that would work with the Equinox.

My P227 Tacops, reliable and accurate with both 10 and 14 round magazines.
This is my nightstand pistol with a Surefire X300U-B.

I enjoy shooting them both.

As to the 10 round vs 14 round magazine issue, I gave up trying to figure out the cause of the problem.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
The P227 is a great gun. I got a nice used Carry model last winter. Easy to carry and a tad more comfortable to shoot then my P220.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my 227 SAS--my current carry gun with Stealthgear IWB holster. A fine choice for 45.

Posts: 10 | Location: Florida Space Coast | Registered: August 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Had one for a while. Ran fine.

My Sig 14 rounders ran fine as well.

Hated the slim trigger. Put a standard trigger in and off to the races.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
If you like the classic P series and you like the feel of the P227 you can't go wrong. No surprises with the P227. I ended up putting a standard reach trigger in mine too.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I was on a search for a .45 ACP pistol: The P227 was at the top of my list after having done all my homework. I felt there was really nothing not to like. I ended-up going with a P320 full-size, but I would wouldn't count out the possibility of a P227, still, in my future Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobr1952:
Very happy with my 227 SAS--my current carry gun with Stealthgear IWB holster. A fine choice for 45.

Which model did you select from their list since the P227 is not listed? Curious if they substituted with another model.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Posts: 9147 | Location: Nixa, MO | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dosborn81:
quote:

Which model did you select from their list since the P227 is not listed? Curious if they substituted with another model.

Holsters specifically for the 227 do seem to be hard to find. I did order one (from another company) but did not find it all that comfortable. I have two StealthGear holsters. One for M11-A1 and another for 229. The 227 SAS fits quite well in either but fits pretty close to perfect in M11 holster. Very good retention and completely covers trigger. So that's what I use.

Posts: 10 | Location: Florida Space Coast | Registered: August 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dosborn81:
quote:

Holsters specifically for the 227 do seem to be hard to find. I did order one (from another company) but did not find it all that comfortable. I have two StealthGear holsters. One for M11-A1 and another for 229. The 227 SAS fits quite well in either but fits pretty close to perfect in M11 holster. Very good retention and completely covers trigger. So that's what I use.

Roger that. The SAS model doesn't have much support as far as holsters go, and none of the molding drone companies make molds of them. The holster manufacturer must have the actual gun to make gear specifically for that model.

Posts: 9147 | Location: Nixa, MO | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
If you like the classic P series and you like the feel of the P227 you can't go wrong. No surprises with the P227. I ended up putting a standard reach trigger in mine too.

Good new is that if you aren't satisfied with the Standard Reach trigger, there is always the GGI P-SAIT. Have it on all my double stacks. Shortens the reach slightly and has a superior shape on the trigger face. Less prone to lateral displacement during the trigger stroke.

https://grayguns.com/product/p...ntermediate-trigger/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holsters specifically for the 227 do seem to be hard to find.

Pitbull Tactical makes one, if Kydex is ok.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Holsters specifically for the 227 do seem to be hard to find.

Pitbull Tactical makes one, if Kydex is ok.

I should've been clearer and stated that I was referring to the SAS model. The P227 in general isn't that hard to find stuff for, it's the Gen 2 SAS that can be a booger finding gear for.

posted Hide Post
I always thought it was an under rated pistol. The more I see them, the more I want one. I like the idea of a 14 round 45 acp magazine but after hearing so many bad stories about them, it is a shame.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
I have had my P227 for quite a while now.

The only reliability issue was that the early magazines had the catch notch cut in slightly the wrong place. Once SIG replaced my magazines all was well. I think I have 4 of the 10 round magazines and 3 of the 14s at the moment.

I find my P227 to be as reliable and accurate as all of my P220s have been over the last 4 decades.

I do like the slight undercut at the back of the trigger guard (adopted from the X-family).

I would have preferred if the factory had installed the standard trigger instead of the short trigger. One day I will get around to changing it.

I did put the Hogue Cocobolo wood grips on mine as soon as Ken had them ready for us.

That's a beautiful pistol with those grips, sir.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post