SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What am I doing wrong
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What am I doing wrong Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest things that helped me was doing what I call a push pull grip, I'm right handed so I pull with my left push with my right I'm not sure where I saw a video of this but as soon as I tried it my shooting improved. after a while it just became natural and feels right. it keeps everything steady. the finger placement feels unnatural and just put my finger wherever it lands.

here are some of mine from my 43x

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
I have to disagree with tanksoldier, both on his wheel of misfortune and his finger placement. That doesn’t mean he’s wrong, but his wheel needs to be corrected:

OP, it looks to me like you’re not shooting 4” left. You’re shooting low left which is classic signs of anticipating/flinching. My prescription for a flinch:
Double up ear pro, especially indoors (avoid indoors if possible)
Start by loosening up on your grip a bit. Focus on gripping like a C-clamp, not a strap wrench. Pressure should be front and rear, not all around.
Dry fire to practice these items and familiarize yourself with the trigger, but often flinches are reactions to the “bang” which can’t be replicated using dry-fire. So live-fire with a looser grip to get used to the feeling and realizing that the gun isn’t going to fly out of your hand.

ETA: forgot to cover why I disagree with finger placement. Basically it doesn’t matter if you have good fundamentals. Shifting your placement may help you achieve a directly rearward press. And maybe you can train yourself to get that placement repeatedly. I go for natural and repeatable myself. I don’t want to need to have the perfect grip and the perfect draw and the perfect finger placement, because while you can stop and redo while you’re at the range, that doesn’t work for competition or (more importantly) defensive situations. My whole point is where you put your finger when you’re not paying attention to where you put your finger is where your finger is probably going to be when you need to shoot straight the most. That’s where you should be practicing from.

Why you’re flinching only with the P320? I don’t know. The grips are fairly round, my guess is you tend to grip it all around instead of front and back only. The 1911 is slim and easier to focus on front/back, the P365 is rather flat too. The XD, maybe the grip safety helps push you to front/back.

It sucks you already sent it back to SIG...this is precisely why they won’t pay shipping unless there is an issue: they’d go broke paying for shipping for people that blame the gun prematurely.

And just because it’s been mentioned, many (too many) feel that sights should be adjusted to suit your style. There’s a logic to that, but what happens when you actually do things right? Your shots will be off in the other direction. It’s better to fix the real problem: the end user.

Good post ^^^
Agree that the "roundish" grip of the P320 standard grip module could very well be a contributor here.

Conversely, the "slab-sided" grip module shape of X-Five and X-Five Legion makes them so easy for me to shoot accurately.
Almost impossible to find them in any size other than Medium, though.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Thanks to oncewas was for starting the thread and everyone responding to him with tips. I just read through each post and found some wisdom in all of them... some more than others and some what not to do. A lot of them brought back some basic training from my earlier years. One in particular that came to mind was while trying to determine what was causing me to drop left, my buddy light loaded a mag for the 1911 I was shooting with 6 rounds. When I took what I thought would be round 7, I flinched... “there’s your sign”

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of oncewas
posted Hide Post
Let me say again how much I appreciate all the responses to my post. Most have been very helpful. I actually did try to float the front sight, even bought a sight tool ($70 waste of money). But fortunately, I was unable to move the front post. So please refrain from telling me to just move the sight, my problem is with me not the gun. I’ve been practicing dry firing and can see where I’ve been jerking the trigger so I’ll work on that. I’ve got snap caps coming so next time at the range I’ll put some in the mags (I’ve got 4) and mix them up so I won’t know where they are. I’ll even try to capture my shooting on video so I can see what I’m doing wrong. And as said I will try to shoot with both hands but I’m not giving up on practicing one hand either. Thanks again

Posts: 12 | Location: Live Oak, Florida | Registered: June 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
Thanks to oncewas was for starting the thread and everyone responding to him with tips. I just read through each post and found some wisdom in all of them... some more than others and some what not to do. A lot of them brought back some basic training from my earlier years. One in particular that came to mind was while trying to determine what was causing me to drop left, my buddy light loaded a mag for the 1911 I was shooting with 6 rounds. When I took what I thought would be round 7, I flinched... “there’s your sign”

Snap Caps are a great training device, especially if you have someone else load the mags so you don't know where the dummy is, or load several mags with them in different positions and then scramble them.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm sure several have already suggested the same thing I am going to.... finger on trigger placement....

I would have never thought it... but two years ago I bought a Sig P320 compact with the Romeo sight.... great shooting pistol but sometimes my rounds would hit a few inches to the left at say about 20ft.... so I decided to concentrate and shoot slow.... what I saw with that little dot is that if my finger was not perfectly centered on the trigger it would move just a tad to the left. I could not see this with just iron sights....

Few things I've learned.... Grip: leave thumbs loose... push with firing hand and pull with the other... then get your booger hook set just right.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm sure several have already suggested the same thing I am going to.... finger on trigger placement....

I would have never thought it... but two years ago I bought a Sig P320 compact with the Romeo sight.... great shooting pistol but sometimes my rounds would hit a few inches to the left at say about 20ft.... so I decided to concentrate and shoot slow.... what I saw with that little dot is that if my finger was not perfectly centered on the trigger it would move just a tad to the left. I could not see this with just iron sights....

Few things I've learned.... Grip: leave thumbs loose... push with firing hand and pull with the other... then get your booger hook set just right.

Smile awesome... you made me laugh out loud. Never heard a trigger finger called a booger hook. Good one and thanks for the early morning chuckle

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Diagnosing shooting flaws in a forum discussion thread can be helpful...but also dicey. No matter how much info might be provided, there may be details not provided which factor into the error.

When I took my first handgun shooting class 20 years ago (2 days classroom, 1 day range qualification), I practiced regularly and was relatively proficient...and, yet, for all the years I had been going to the range and practicing, the instructor assigned to me on our range qualification was able to first note a first shot problem and, a few mags later, diagnose the issue and provide a fix, which was trigger finger placement related. The lead instructor also changed my grip technique, which I wasn't happy about at the time as my current grip was both familiar and comfortable. However, taking some of the techniques and tips from that class, in the coming months I was able to not only get comfortable with the changes but break through a personal plateau and make improvements to my shooting. In a future class, the instructor changed my grip technique yet again.

Don't discount the idea of taking a good shooting class, as good instruction will not only provide you with an experienced and knowledge shooter who can diagnose possible fundamental shooting technique flaws in real-time, but they can also provide you with the feedback to self-diagnose your own shooting, which is really helpful when practicing alone.

Getting good shooting instruction early in your shooting helps to prevent the wasted money and wasted time on frustrating range trips, to say nothing of helping to avoid ingraining bad technique into your range practice sessions, only to later have to unlearn it.

quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
Smile awesome... you made me laugh out loud. Never heard a trigger finger called a booger hook. Good one and thanks for the early morning chuckle

The term "booger hook", unfortunately, is incredibly over used, tired, and has been used for years. Do a forum Search and you will find threads using that term as far back as 2018 with earlier ones having been pruned... and Ive seen it used long before that.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post