SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    EDC with Red Dot?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC with Red Dot? Login/Join 
posted
I think red dots are great.

I've never considered them for an EDC gun, but I am rethinking the matter.

What the best way to go about this? What holsters work? What can be done to mitigate the protrusion?

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'm not really sure what you are asking, but I'll tell you what I do. Every day, I carry a Glock 17 at work with an RMR07 on it. I carry it in an ANR Designs appendix rig with a foam wedge. I carry it 10 hours a day, at least five days a week.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too. I carry a glock with an RMR06 in an IWB holster (bladetech or red hill tactical). I carry it every hour I am awake. Not exactly sure what protrusion there might be, but it makes 0% difference in printing or carry to me. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
So many choices these days on pistol optics.
I have a P229RX in a Stealthgear Appendix holster and OWB holster.
Just got a Romeo Zero for my 365XL and that's a pretty small package. Uses the same holster as the 365.

Don't really like the iron sight setup on it though. Sigs bright idea on a rear sight on the plate.
But if you get the 320 Xcompact RXP it has proper sights on it.
The 320 Xcompact has a removable plate but once again Sig puts the rear sight on the plate on that one.

Or send off what you have to one of the many shops that will cut the slide for whatever optic you want.
$100 to get my 365 cut and it would retain the rear dovetail.
$180 to get my 226 done.

365 XLRZ and 229RX

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New for me as well, but I'm sold on them.
So far just a hellcat w/optic. Easy enough to carry both appendix and just behind hip.
Glock 19 w/optic. Seems to be lots of holsters available.
Both seem to hold up to day to day carry/bumps. Noticed the lens gets dusty/dirty. Got a few of those lens pens for end of the day clean up.
Trying to get used to it being on all the time. Will change batteries every 6 months and sighting in again isn't a big deal.
They are the future and it's here.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I attended Gunsite Vet's 250 last summer.

The top 4 shooters that made the shoot-off at the end were running optics.

I went head to head with one of those guys running a Glock 19 with DPP. Competition was a single shot to the "Gunsite Gumdrop" at 15yds from the draw. The hits on steel sounded like a drum beat. It was really close.

I lost. I had an awesome draw, I don't think I could've done better. The difference in the speed was he stayed target focused, and my eye had to go from target to front sight.

I knew right then, I had to transition to optics. So I bought an optics ready LE P320 X Carry, and added a DPP.

It's not an easy transition, but it's worth the work.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
All day,every day of the week. I found that a RDS is faster from the draw to get on target & faster shot to shot. I've also found, paired with a compensator that muzzle rise is almost non-existent.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been running a holosun 507c on my 19.5 MOS and it's a great combo. I picked up a hellcat and once the 507k ships I'm considering running that through it's paces though I'm not sure my 19 will always stay at home. I do enjoy a larger gun when it fits my attire and day.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Running the rmr on our issued gen4 Glock 31. No issues with recoil so far.

Getting my Glock 45 slide milled for an rmr for off duty carry. Might buy a gen4 32 this year and mill the slide as well.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Any of you who carry red dots AIWB, do you notice if the red dot protrudes and prints or not?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig P320 compact with the Romeo dot on it and it is the most accurate shooting pistol I own.... with that said, I'm not totally comfortable carrying the Gray Guns trigger (super light and crisp) I have on it or relying on a battery for my life...

I guess it goes with out saying that there is a learning curve to using a red dot fast....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I own and shoot several pistols with dots on them, they are too large/heavy for ME to EDC.
I own 2, Sig P365s. I put a green Armalaser on my primary. I don;t think I;ve put 100 rounds through my "backup" 365. I'm thinking of trying to find someone with an XL slide that maybe wants to trade for standard, otherwise, when my Romeo Zero ever gets here, I'll send it out for milling, If I don't like the Romeo Zero, I'll try a Holosun 507K. I don't know how it would feel, with an optic AIWB, which is the way I USUALLY carry, especially in the summer, but, on a belt holster, I hardly notice a 365

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post