SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    No more Galco products for me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more Galco products for me Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I then called Galco the next day and cancelled my order.
2 to 3 months later, the cancelled order arrived at my door step and my CC was charged. I called Galco Customer Service and explained what had happened and the guy flat out refused to take back the (un-opened) new in box holster. This guys attitude was probably the worst I’ve ever encountered. Truly memorable. That day, Galco lost my business forever.

That is sad. I too have had good luck in the past with Galco products. As far as them not wanting to take the product back; as I understand it, if someone sends you something you didn't order (in your case you cancelled in plenty of time so it's the same) you do no have to pay for it and you do not have to return it. I would dispute the charge with my CC company. I'll bet that would get them off their ass.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Back in the day GALCO was considered top tier above HUME, BIANCHI, etc. An added plus they were local in the metro Phoenix area so ordering was quick. It's my understanding their products started being made offshore (Mexico?) which started the downward spiral. SAFARILAND isn't much better anymore, either.

Find a good custom leather maker. TT GUNLEATHER has a 2-3 week turnaround and pricing is quite reasonable.

I just checked out TT Gunleather,I hadn't heard of them. The quality looks very high. Thanks az !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
thanks for the heads up guys. I was going to order a galco for my buddy. Not any more.

It saddens me that old standbys like galco and Desantis have atrophied.

DeSantis makes some good holsters. I'm using one right now. I use their holsters for pocket carry for both autos and revolvers.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
thanks for the heads up guys. I was going to order a galco for my buddy. Not any more.

It saddens me that old standbys like galco and Desantis have atrophied.

DeSantis makes some good holsters. I'm using one right now. I use their holsters for pocket carry for both autos and revolvers.

How old is yours is it leather? I've got a bunch of their older holsters myself and the older ones are of good quality. The new ones I handled in the gunshop have been thinner and more flexible then the old ones. They are all over NY as it's their home state.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I've been pretty disappointed in the last couple of new Bianchi holsters I have bought. They don't seem to be selective about what part of the cowhide they are using to make the holster out of. Instead, it appears that they soak the holster in something like resin to stiffen it up. Their edge finish work is sloppy as well. Nothing like the holsters they made 20 years ago, because
they now are made in Mexico by people who don't know what they're doing and/or don't give a shit.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Galco Fletch from about 15 years ago and another from 3 years ago. Both are for Glocks. The difference in leather thickness is visible to the naked eye.

OTOH: The Galco Phoenix I bought last year seems to be as good as those from a decade ago. Nice thick leather and well made. Perhaps there are certain models they are aiming toward the big box market with lower pricing and quality.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think MNSIG hit it on the head. In the last 15 years or so there has been a huge increase of CCW permits issued and along with that the need for holsters (as we all have a few for every gun we own) has led to a boom in the holster making business. Some of these new offerings are high quality and reasonable cost has forced the big names to lower quality to compete with the new manufacturers. I too have found my older Galco products to be of higher quality than most current production. That said there are ten times as many makers out there to choose from.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Galco holsters over the years and never a problem. However, none of mine are of recent manufacture.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
My latest holster from Galco was for my Kimber K6S revolver, open top concealed carry, it was made from Veg tanned leather which is the best in tanned leather, well stitched and perfectly finished, I think I must have about five of their holsters, and I have nothing bad to say about any of them, they hold their shape and are wearing as expected, leather is not Kydex, it's apples and oranges, I use both in my EDC Rotation guns, and both materials have their place for my needs...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have a few Royal Guards made in the late 90's made from robust materials and made by craftsmen. I have a 1911 Gunsite training holster that was built to survive generations of use. Now, play it forward, I guess thin is in. The samples I have seen recently are made with both inferior materials and skills and their prices are ridiculous. No more Galco products for me...

If I need a leather, mass produced holster, I tend towards Desantis mini-slides. A good value in the $50 range.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the OP. Where did you buy the holster ?
Just wondering if you got a Chinese knockoff .
They fake about anything nowadays that sells above 5 dollars.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick. I bought it from Optics Planet, and the packaging and holster were genuine Galco. But your point is well taken, especially these days. The leather on this holster was thin like the thin cardboard you see on a box a new shirt would come in from the dept store. I sent it back to Optics Planet with a pre-paid shipping label and RMA from them. I was impressed, since Optics Planet used to have a so so reputation. The lack of thickness of the leather was compensated for by some kind of polymer or resin they had impregnated the leather with, probably some kind of liquid dip process or spraying or drenching the piece with a mop. That resin is also what appeared to gave it it's color and gloss. Pretty tacky compared to our better leather brands, and worse when you consider it was $60.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many years, the US Secret Service has issued
DeSantis Holsters for it's Sig P229 issue handgun.
Since my retirement from that agency in 1988, I have continued to purchase DeSantis holsters for my
Sigs, the most recent having been earlier this year
for my P229c. The quality is top rate. The USSS
continues to use DeSantis holsters, as do the air
marshal service. To consider DeSantis quality as
poor is pure fantasy!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post