SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Security-Six rescue with some questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Security-Six rescue with some questions Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Great find for an amazing price. I love the Six Series guns.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
That is a great price, you won't be sorry!
I have the Security, Police-Service & Speed, I much prefer the original Ruger rubber grips that came on the Speed Six.

Speed Six with Rubber Grips

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had a blued Speed Six, I preferred the factory wood grips with a Tyler T grip.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tooky, that is a nice set you have. Some people worry about parts being available in the future for these guns, but Ruger made these things tanks for a reason. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Tooky, that is a nice set you have. Some people worry about parts being available in the future for these guns, but Ruger made these things tanks for a reason. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Just an FYI, a few years ago I had a Security Six that needed some repair and when I contacted Ruger they told me that they would take it in an fix it under warranty even though I was not the original owner, and that if they could not fix it they would sell me a new revolver for cost.

I feel like that’s a pretty good deal.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's an amazing deal.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge S&W revolver fan. That being said, I have and carry a Ruger Security Six 4" in stainless. Same weight as a K frame Smith, trigger almost as good...and just a tougher gun. No worries about forcing cone cracks with full house 125 grain loads. Shoots whatever you can stuff in it.
Mine wears the smaller original wood grips with a polished aluminum Tyler T grip. I also had Dawson Precision make a patridge front sight with a tritium insert. I had to replace the rear sight blade with one from a Redhawk to get the elevation right.
Great Gun.
Oscar Zulu

Posts: 158 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just an FYI, a few years ago I had a Security Six that needed some repair and when I contacted Ruger they told me that they would take it in an fix it under warranty even though I was not the original owner, and that if they could not fix it they would sell me a new revolver for cost.

I feel like that’s a pretty good deal.

I told this story under my old screenname a few years back: a customer of ours (and a good friend of mine) had a Security-Six that at the time he had owned for over 20 years, one that he purchased used. One day at the range with the Ruger, he put one too many .357s through it and the gun suffered a serious failure with its frame. He contacted Ruger about the now busted gun; they had him send the gun in so they could inspect it. Shortly after they had received the broken Security-Six, he got response back from Ruger CS with a list of then currently available revolvers that they had in their warehouse, advising him to choose one as a no-cost replacement. Their offer was based on their analysis that the failure of the gun should never have happened, and furthermore that it was THEIR fault and not that of the end user so it was only fair that our customer received a perfectly working gun back as replacement. After he got over the shock of Ruger's more than agreeable offer, he saw that there was a blued 4.2" GP100 on the list. He chose that one because it was the closest in configuration to his beloved Security-Six.

To me that's real, honest-go-greatness customer service.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tooky I'll gladly take that Speed Six off your hands! Smile

(jealous)

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Tooky I'll gladly take that Speed Six off your hands! Smile

(jealous)

-----------------------------

I'll keep that in mind should I decide to part with it. It's actually my favorite of the 3, even though the Security Six is engraved with "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty".

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is engraved like yours....great revolver !

Posts: 920 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Tooky, that's a gorgeous set you have there! My Speed-Six is nowhere near as nice. I happened upon it at the LGS one day, and it looked pretty forlorn in a case full of nice S&Ws, so I just had to buy it. I traded a pristine Ruger PC Carbine for it...on paper I probably got the worst end of that deal, but I've never once regretted it. I don't miss that plastic blowback carbine at all, and I still love my Speed-Six.

It's had a pretty rough life, and it shows, but it still shoots great and is solid enough that it's my go-to handgun for testing out hotter reloads. I don't carry it as much as I do my 3" SP101 due to the weight, but it's lighter than my 4" GP100, and I like the ejector design better on the Speed-Six. It also doesn't share the 101's tendency to leak crud past the gas ring and gum up the cylinder after a couple of hundred rounds.

Initially I didn't like the look of the Pachmeyers, but they've grown on me. They're a good, functional grip design and combined with the weight of the gun they make shooting even heavy magnum loads a pleasant experience.

I'd love to find an affordable -six in 9mm someday.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Tooky, that's a gorgeous set you have there! My Speed-Six is nowhere near as nice. I happened upon it at the LGS one day, and it looked pretty forlorn in a case full of nice S&Ws, so I just had to buy it. I traded a pristine Ruger PC Carbine for it...on paper I probably got the worst end of that deal, but I've never once regretted it. I don't miss that plastic blowback carbine at all, and I still love my Speed-Six.

It's had a pretty rough life, and it shows, but it still shoots great and is solid enough that it's my go-to handgun for testing out hotter reloads. I don't carry it as much as I do my 3" SP101 due to the weight, but it's lighter than my 4" GP100, and I like the ejector design better on the Speed-Six. It also doesn't share the 101's tendency to leak crud past the gas ring and gum up the cylinder after a couple of hundred rounds.

Initially I didn't like the look of the Pachmeyers, but they've grown on me. They're a good, functional grip design and combined with the weight of the gun they make shooting even heavy magnum loads a pleasant experience.

I'd love to find an affordable -six in 9mm someday.

The Speed Six I owned was just like yours sans Pachymer grips. A really good shooting revolver, much better than the SP 101 357 I bought years later.
As your opinion on the Ruger PC cabine...personally I really like those old model carbines. I had one in 40SW and foolishly sold it.

Last year, I lucked up. Athens Armory had gotten in some PC carbines in 40SW from a west coast police deptament as surplus. These rifles are like new, they were only sighted in, then marked with a rack number and put back in he factory box.
I bought one, it is like brand new. I wouldn't have bought it if it had been in 9mm. The only downside is finding magazines for it, very few times can you find the 11 round versions.

I prefer the old Speed Six over the newer GP100 series.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
As your opinion on the Ruger PC cabine...personally I really like those old model carbines. I had one in 40SW and foolishly sold it.

Mine wasn't one of the old ones...I've never had a chance to handle one of those, but I've heard good things. It was the new production type. I didn't like the barrel takedown feature. It felt cheap and was not confidence inspiring. It had a tendency to loosen under recoil, and I had doubts about it holding up over the long-term. It was also kind of heavy, and the blowback action made for harsher recoil than a 9mm should produce (not that it was painful, but it had a decent amount of muzzle climb that you had to fight for follow-up shots).

I ended up building a 9mm AR with the CMMG radially-delayed blowback action and have been far happier with it. It all worked out in the end as I now have a 9mm rifle that I like and a beat up old speed-six that my great-grandkids will probably get to shoot Smile.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
Hogue also offer wood and rubber grips for the Security-Six as well as the Speed-Six .
(Fits guns with serial # Prefix 151 and above ONLY.)
Here are samples;

Spd-Six;

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

As your opinion on the Ruger PC carbine...

Sunset, you'll have email momentarily.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Mine wasn't one of the old ones...I've never had a chance to handle one of those, but I've heard good things. It was the new production type. I didn't like the barrel takedown feature. It felt cheap and was not confidence inspiring. It had a tendency to loosen under recoil, and I had doubts about it holding up over the long-term. It was also kind of heavy, and the blowback action made for harsher recoil than a 9mm should produce (not that it was painful, but it had a decent amount of muzzle climb that you had to fight for follow-up shots).

I ended up building a 9mm AR with the CMMG radially-delayed blowback action and have been far happier with it. It all worked out in the end as I now have a 9mm rifle that I like and a beat up old speed-six that my great-grandkids will probably get to shoot Smile.

Thanks for clariying about the model of PC Carbine. I had looked for those in 40 SW without luck when I stumbled upon the like new old model PC Carbine. Glad I got the old PC 4 now. It points so good and comes up on the shoulder fast.

You should consider either having CCR coat your Ruger or have a reputable refinsher re blue it in a beadblast blue.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
About the Hogue grips in either wood or rubber, does the pin on the grip/frame need to be removed in order for the grips to fit or does the pin fit into a groove inside the grips?

quote:
Originally posted by Ken @ Hogue Inc:
Hogue also offer wood and rubber grips for the Security-Six as well as the Speed-Six .
Here are samples;

Spd-Six;

posted Hide Post
I attended armorers school at the Newport New Hampshire factory in 1980. In the repair area they had a blued 6 inch security six that had been returned from a shooting range that rented guns to customers. The barrel had be cross sectioned and was full of lead bullets. It appears the first round was a squib load and the user keep firing until the cylinder locked up with the last bullet stuck between cylinder and forcing cone.
The repair tech said hat before they sectioned the barrel they checked the outside diameter and found it was in factory spec from forcing cone to crown showing the quality of the steel Ruger uses.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
About the Hogue grips in either wood or rubber, does the pin on the grip/frame need to be removed in order for the grips to fit or does the pin fit into a groove inside the grips?

quote:
Originally posted by Ken @ Hogue Inc:
Here are samples;

Spd-Six;

You'll need to remove the pin first before fitting the HOgue rubber grips on.

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post