SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Security-Six rescue with some questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Security-Six rescue with some questions Login/Join 
posted
Today I actually scored a great deal, at least I think so, I found an excellent condition Ruger Security-Six in stainless at my local ffl. Wasn't really looking to get anything more than what I did get but the price was too good to pass up-$375.00.

Anyways, I am looking to swap out the grips with some wood ones and am curious as to which type I need. It is a post 151 serial number, actually a 161 serial number and am confused as to which grips fit it. I understand the original 150 serial number frame is different and I believe mine to be a square butt, but what other grips fit it? Do the older Redhawk grips fit this model? I am looking for some non-finger groove wood grips but don't want to spend a lot, less than $60.00,if possible. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything post 151 will fit, so long as you do square-butt to square butt, or round butt to round butt.

Pre-151 serial numbers have a more rounded shoulder profile at the top of the back strap, and those grips are hard to find.

I have a pre-151 frame. If you look at the top of the backstrap in your photo, you'll see that where the web of the hand (thumb/forefinger) goes, there's a subtle reversal of the curvature of the grip. The grip is sloping upward toward the hammer, then turns away. That's the standard, post-151 grip profile. In the pre-151 profile, the gradual slope toward the hammer continues. The difference is notable in the way the grip feels in the hand. When shot, the pre-151 pistol tends to roll in the hand, more like a typical single action pistol (ala vaquero or colt peacemaker). The post 151 grip uses that recurve at the top of the grip to keep from rolling in the hand: the pistol stays in place more during recoil, or more accurately, the hand tends to keep it's place on the pistol and retain the same grip, during recoil.

You can choose and pick just about anything on the market, except pre-151 grips, which are hard to find.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 150 series 6 inch Security Six and I looked a long time for after market grips. I finally found this set of Herretts.

You can see the difference in the backstrap

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck of a deal.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RFSALES,I like those Herrett's grips. I have a set like that on a S&W 36 that I find to be perfect. Is the frame coming out of the back of the grips or is it just the picture? thanks.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I can't help with the grips, but I wanted to say nice score! That's a great deal on an excellent gun...looks to be in great shape as well!

Posts: 8421 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Today I actually scored a great deal, at least I think so, I found an excellent condition Ruger Security-Six in stainless at my local ffl. Wasn't really looking to get anything more than what I did get but the price was too good to pass up-$375.00.

Anyways, I am looking to swap out the grips with some wood ones and am curious as to which type I need. It is a post 151 serial number, actually a 161 serial number and am confused as to which grips fit it. I understand the original 150 serial number frame is different and I believe mine to be a square butt, but what other grips fit it? Do the older Redhawk grips fit this model? I am looking for some non-finger groove wood grips but don't want to spend a lot, less than $60.00,if possible. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

I have an identical revolver that I put some Packmyer grips on. I can't find the SN....do I need to pull the grip panels ?

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pull the grips and look at the bottom of the butt. It's stamped there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Thanks sns3....I'll do it in the AM. I've had this revolver for 40+ years I think. It's a tank and I love the thing !

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great deal and a fine revolver! The Security-Six was offered with either traditional style wooden grips (as pictured above in RFSALES lower image) or a larger, hand filling target type grip. Both factory grip offerings are typically available on eBay. Please note Redhawk grips will not fit the various Ruger Six-Series revolvers. Enjoy!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact Herrett's. Their "Shooting Star" grips are perfect!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Thanks sns3....I'll do it in the AM. I've had this revolver for 40+ years I think. It's a tank and I love the thing !

I have the factory wood grips if interested.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nice price, great gun. I have 3 of the same, 2 , 4” & one 6”. I started with one, couldn’t pass when I saw one under $400.

I’m still of the belief, a 357 mag revolver covers many bases.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, nice revolver.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of them and I prefer the rubber grips.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
An excellent 357 magnum at a great price. Built tough and the stainless steel version adds to the value as it wears well if thing get wet.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patw, a virtual High-5 slap to you, Sir!
Great score.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grip frame extends slightly out of Herretts, just a slight problem with grips pin/grip alignment
and it does not interfere with shooting

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great revolver at an excellent price! I have not seen one that cheap in a while.

Enjoy!!!!

I have two security sixes and a service six also. All were purchased years ago.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Nice rescue. I put Pachmayrs on my service-six just so I don't bung up the original wood.

Pachmayr Presentation Grip out of Los Angeles Calif.
(oh, the irony Roll Eyes)

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post