SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old warhorse S&W bodyguard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old warhorse S&W bodyguard Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Picked this up at a pawn shop for under $200 out the door

Lots of wear, but action is tight, doubt it was fired much.

The left grip panel is very worn, right is like new. Left handed person carrying it holstered strong side ?

It’s 56-57 vintage, early marked Model 38 that still has the flat latch.

This one might have a couple stories to tell!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
A clearer example of form following function would be tough to find.
Congrats. Looks like a keeper to me.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Lol, I always thought the Bodyguard was kinda fugly.
It has grown on me, and this one definitely has “character”.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been partial to the little humpback j-frame. I have one that dates from '63.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good gun! Shoot the heck out of it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the bodyguards, I'm not sure whey they're not more popular. To me it's the best of both worlds, a snag free design that can be cocked if wanted.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I like the bodyguards, I'm not sure whey they're not more popular. To me it's the best of both worlds, a snag free design that can be cocked if wanted.

My sentiments exactly. The Quasimodo is my favorite J frame. You have a great example of a classic! I would have bought it too!

Proverbs 21:31

Posts: 450 | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have one that in pristine condition that I picked up last year for $350. I almost felt bad when I bought it. Almost.....

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$200 bucks? Damn. Classic Smith, very cool.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Very nice piece of history that still can speak when needed.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice working gun, sweet find.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is a nice find, I still have the one I bought second hand in 1970.
That old thing traveled all over the country in my right front pocket.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Cool. I have an old Airweight Bodyguard that’s got a lot of miles of pocket carry on it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome score. Those things seem to last forever.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 438 basically the same wonderful revolver. My daily routine is pants place revolver in pocket shirt then brush teeth yep that is how the day starts. I wish I had bought 3 when I purchased this one... VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, great pick up! I recently found a S&W pre-42, been carrying it the past 3 months. That body guard is next on my list. Love those older Smiths.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is not to like about that revolver and the PRICE OTD!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the vicarious thrill of another shooter landing a . . .

S C O R E !

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those “high-horn” grips are pretty spiffy. Hard to find that style.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vsp39o2
posted Hide Post
I carried a twin to the OP example in my left front pants pocket as a backup when I was in uniform. It is still one I grab and go with often.

------------------------------
The pool's in,
but the patio ain't dry.

Posts: 1814 | Location: greater metro Tar Bay | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post