SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Update: Vintage "Hardball" Conversion on a 1945 Remington-Rand 1911A1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: Vintage "Hardball" Conversion on a 1945 Remington-Rand 1911A1 Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I'm not sure if one may accurately call this a true "rescue", though yesterday I pulled this little number out of the consignment case of my LGS. A quick serial number search confirmed the receiver is from a 1945 Remington-Rand 1911A1 in the final serial number block. Most of the parts are strictly USGI and correct for this pistol. Modifications include the addition of a Bo-Mar low mount rear sight w/ a S&W type red ramp front (insert missing), a beavertail grip safety and an extended thumb safety. The magazine well has also been beveled. Judging from the configuration, I'm assuming this work was performed in the early to mid 1980's. I'm in the process of giving it a minor facelift while maintaining the retro flair. I've ordered new springs, an adjustable "short" trigger and a checkered mag catch from Ed Brown. I'm going to have my smith braze on a new front sight as well as fit a WW II vintage GI thumb safety. I have a brand new set of VZ Tactical Diamonds G-10 grips in Military Brown color though I may opt for a set of GI originals. Attached is a "before" photo. I'll post an update once the work is completed. Thanks for looking!

Before

After

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjs157,

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
depending on what if any trigger work has already been done, the WW2 style safety should drop in (as in no fitting required)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool find! While maybe not particularly collectible, that's a cool piece of usable history. It's got some pedigree, but you don't have to be afraid that tinkering with it or shooting it will ruin it's collector value, so you actually get to enjoy it. Some of those modifications I actually like, too, like the beaver tail grip safety (standard GI config tends to bite me pretty badly) and the upgraded sights. I'm not saying I'd do that to a clean example of a '45 Remington Rand, but what's done is done, and provided you were able to pick it up for a price commiserate with its condition, I'd say you did good!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
It'll be fun fixing up the old gun. I kinda like those Old School hardball type guns myself.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm not saying I'd do that to a clean example of a '45 Remington Rand, but what's done is done, and provided you were able to pick it up for a price commiserate with its condition, I'd say you did good!

Indeed. Modifying an otherwise unmolested WW II 1911A1 is nearly unthinkable. Today with many 1911A1's priced in the collector realm, it is difficult to envision an era when they were simply inexpensive surplus pistols. I recall an old time shop owner once telling me he sold a number of them in the 1960's for $35 a piece! I'm invested in this one at $799 + tax and background check. A short visit to the range however revealed a tendency for the hammer follow the slide to the intercept notch (half cock). Other than this, the pistol functioned flawlessly with the limited rounds I had sent downrange before discontinuing my fire. I'm planning a visit to my gunsmith tomorrow to discuss build options.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm not saying I'd do that to a clean example of a '45 Remington Rand, but what's done is done, and provided you were able to pick it up for a price commiserate with its condition, I'd say you did good!

Indeed. Modifying an otherwise unmolested WW II 1911A1 is nearly unthinkable. Today with many 1911A1's priced in the collector realm, it is difficult to envision an era when they were simply inexpensive surplus pistols. I recall an old time shop owner once telling me he sold a number of them in the 1960's for $35 a piece! I'm invested in this one at $799 + tax and background check. A short visit to the range however revealed a tendency for the hammer follow the slide to the intercept notch (half cock). Other than this, the pistol functioned flawlessly with the limited rounds I had sent downrange before discontinuing my fire. I'm planning a visit to my gunsmith tomorrow to discuss build options.

When I was little kid in the early 80's I rememeber walking into the local hardware store that sold everything from fishing tackle to guns in Burnesville, NC and seeing M1 garands all piled up/sticking out of a 55 gallon wooden barrel with no lid, with a big $35 each sign on the barrel. Who knew......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the fact that those milsurps used to be so cheap that people didn't think twice about hacking on them still boggles my mind.

I look forward to seeing what you do with it, hjs. I've got a '43 Remington-Rand in what I suspect is mostly original condition, and have occasionally thought about picking up one that's been Bubba'd for a shooter. It's your gun, but if it were mine, I'd be highly tempted to put USGI parts back on it where I could, and then have it reparkerized. Obviously the sights are a pretty permanent modification, but that was the real weak spot on the originals anyways. The magwell beveling wouldn't bug me. Did they flare and lower the ejection port as well?

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
. . . I'd be highly tempted to put USGI parts back on it where I could, and then have it reparkerized. Obviously the sights are a pretty permanent modification, but that was the real weak spot on the originals anyways. The magwell beveling wouldn't bug me. Did they flare and lower the ejection port as well?

My initial thought also was to return it as much as possible to the original GI configuration. Unfortunately, I've since discovered more of the receiver tang was removed than I realized. Surprisingly, the ejection port was not cut. My plan now is to have my gunsmith rebuild the pistol in its current hardball configuration. I've ordered new springs and internals from Ed Brown which will give him a new palette on which to perform his sear & trigger magic. A new parkerized finish and grips will complete the project. I'll be sure to update as the work progresses.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a bit of a shame about the receiver tang, but in the end, the beavertail is more functional. Your plan makes sense and I look forward to the "after" pics. Wink

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's too bad about the hammer follow, but since you're replacing the internals anyway, that shouldn't be an issue. I'm looking forward to seeing pics as your project progresses!

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple just like that and both had the hammer follow, allegedly because of the too light trigger pull. Target shooters in the 60s to the early 80s didn't care as they only closed the slide (without holding it with their off hand) on a loaded mag and the hammer didn't follow then (in other words, they never dropped the slide on an empty gun allowing it to slam forward). Don't know if, over time, the hammer would start to follow or not.

With both of mine, I had the trigger fixed by the shop's gunsmith and it never happened again. Trigger was a bit heavier, but the guns all shot great. I moved on to the Gold Cups, then the big name 'Smith's guns.

Then suddenly there was this IPSC thing and Bullseye was a thing of the past, at least for me.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I just retrieved my Remington-Rand project pistol from the gunsmith. He gave the pistol a complete overhaul and machined the slide for a modern dovetail front sight. I've complimented the original worn parkerized finish with a set of USGI late-war Keyes grips. Non G.I. replacement parts from Ed Brown include:

•Barrel & bushing
•Firing pin
•Extractor
•Trigger
•Sear
•Disconnector
•Thumb safety
•Mag release
•Pin & spring kit

An after photo appears above in my OP.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I like the way it turned out. Classy nostalgia, but practical and functional.